Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASRock Xfast utlities any good in general? Considering Xfast RAM for a 7/XP dual boot (RAMifications?)

Tags:
  • xfast
  • RAM
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
  • Dual Boot
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 4, 2013 7:59:01 AM

I recently completed a B75 Pro3-M build and am planning on making it a dual boot Windows 7/XP system. I have 8 gigs of ram (4 x2, dual channel), so I was thinking of trying Xfast RAM since it would (according to all accounts) allow XP to take advantage of the additional ram above 4gigs. My understanding is that it creates a partition on the HDD. If I wanted to use it in a dual boot situation, could that cause problems with the extra partition?

What if I wanted to use it for both installations? Would it make 2 partitions, and would the software know which one is which? I've read that for 64 bit you only need to set about 1 gig aside. For XP wouldn't it be more like 4, or am I being too literal?

It seems that there aren't many ASRock users out there who've tried this, so I've yet to find a precedent online.

Also, which other ASRock tools should I use or avoid? The manual for the mobo inplies that Xfast LAN will improve internet connection speeds, but I've read at least one forum poster saying that it has no bearing on internet.

I just want to make sure that I'm maximizing the potential of my new build.

More about : asrock xfast utlities good general xfast ram dual boot ramifications

a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2013 8:11:27 AM

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do XP will not use more than 4 gigs as ram. The util you are talking about makes a ram drive you can store reguler files in I have the asrock extream4 I messed with this but 4 gigs is just not enough space for anything useful and it has to load this up from hard drive every time you reboot. Which was not to bad as I use SSD but still I found it more than useless. I also had 8 gigs and this takes away from an Windows 7 64 bit OS. Also it will not mess you up going back and forth between OS (XP to 7) but unless you put same information in the ram drive under both OS you will have diffrent info in there depending on the OS you load.

Thent
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 8:31:40 AM

thently said:
Not sure exactly what you are trying to do XP will not use more than 4 gigs as ram.


From http://www.asrock.com/feature/xfast/xfastram/index.asp

"Due to the 32-bit OS limitation, when users install32 gigabytes of memory into an X79 mainboard, the truth is that only 4 gigabytes is being used. The other 28 gigabytes is wasted. However, ASRock XFast RAM can fully utilize the memory space that cannot be used under 32-bit OS.*"

thently said:

The util you are talking about makes a ram drive you can store reguler files in I have the asrock extream4 I messed with this but 4 gigs is just not enough space for anything useful and it has to load this up from hard drive every time you reboot. Which was not to bad as I use SSD but still I found it more than useless. I also had 8 gigs and this takes away from an Windows 7 64 bit OS. Also it will not mess you up going back and forth between OS (XP to 7) but unless you put same information in the ram drive under both OS you will have diffrent info in there depending on the OS you load.

Thent


A little more detail/specifics would be helpful if anyone else has any. I don't follow what you mean by "I also had 8 gigs and this takes away from an Windows 7 64 bit OS".

Also, I view the ram drive aspect as a side effect of the implied usefulness of this software, rather than a feature. I'd be fine if it wiped it with every reboot, unless I'm missing something (which I often am).

Also, you're saying that regardless of the number of OSes, there would only be one RAM drive? If that's the case, it will make things less confusing perhaps.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2013 9:58:07 AM

I guess i still don't know what you are trying to do with the software..
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 10:03:49 AM

thently said:
I guess i still don't know what you are trying to do with the software..


What the webpage says the software does. Obviously I was looking for someone with prior experience with ramdisk software, in order to get their opinion on whether it's worth bothering with. Consdering most of what I do with XP is gaming or video editing, I'm not sure how much the software would benefit me anyway.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2013 10:08:38 AM

Oh ok it is nice if you can have enough space I set mine to 4 gigs and loaded a few different games on it but did not notice enough of a speed difference from my SSD. If all you have is a hard drive this will be a vast improvement. again the issue will be space. If you load up 16 gigs of ram and give say 10 to the ram drive it might be a little more useful. It's a neat idea but in practice i just found it to small to do me any good.

Thent
m
0
l
!