Six (6) 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0

elvenranger292

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So I am curious to whether or not anyone thinks that this will be a good idea.

I am speccing out a new Desktop built on the new Intel i7-4770, with two (maybe three) GTX 770s and a Seasonic 1000w PSU...

So in order to have enough storage for fun, and not have to worry about a second drive to store stuff on, I am thinking about running six of these 840 Pro 128GB SSDs in a RAID 0 config... But am wondering what the capabilities may be, and if anyone thinks there will be an increase of read/write speeds in the raid config...

Thanks for the thoughts!!

elvenranger292

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Yeah I am not worried about redundancy, I know that if it fails, data is gone... but that seriously isn't an issue.

Yeah I know that it would be similar in price to a single 512GB one, But if the same is true for SSDs as is HDDs, then wouldn't the performance of 6 drives in RAID 0 be WAAAAAAAAY better than a single drive?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
With an ssd you're already loading windows and applications with a flash, raiding ssds will obviously be faster like anything combined, but the only programs that would benefit are benchmarks. You'll hardly see any difference if not at all, it will more than likely be between the moments you blink your eyes.

elvenranger292

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Honestly there is no NEED for it, I really just want to test the limits!! hahaha :D

I have never before owned an SSD, but I really don't like having multiple drives/partitions in a machine... makes it too much of a hassle (IMO) when installing programs and finding files.

I may just go with a single 512GB one if it is fast enough... lol.

It was really just a random thought.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i bought a 512 samsung last week myself, haven't installed it yet as im waiting for EVGA's 780gtx to arrive in Australia before i reinstall everyting. Having Amd 5870 in it atm, thought it made more sense to wait.

Anyhow, what i didn't realize is how the small the ssd is... jesus. Thought the bracket the antec case came with would be for something like that. Turns out it was for a floppy drive -_- lol havent seen those in ages.

What i found out is with ssds you can put them anywhere, no moving parts, can leave them hanging if you want. What i'll be doing is using velcro and stick it somewhere safe :D

I'll use the old hdd and put the swap file on there to save some gig and put other crap on there andl run favorite games on the ssd.

elvenranger292

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Yeah I mean I have a great backup strategy, that is why I wasn't worried about RAID 0.

But I see what you guys are saying about how they are just fast enough now where it really adds no benefit to RAID an SSD... lol.

BTW: First time poster, and you guys have been extremely helpful and courteous. Highly appreciated!!

elvenranger292

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Yeah that is one more thing that I wanted to ask was whether or not you think that the controller on the mother board with the new Intel processors (i7-4770) would handle the drive better than a PCI-e Controller card would.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Also, make sure you're using the first sata port aswell for best peformance as it uses the first bios phase. Refer to your manual or look at the printed numbers on the motherboard. The lowest number will be the one youd connect the ssd to. Either sata-0 or 1, which either is lowest on your motherboard

boju

Titan
Ambassador
honestly couldn't tell you if that board will be any good for you. I suggest creating another thread with a title of suggesting you a build and purpose for it. There are stickies explaining a formula when requesting which will make it easier on you and others, ie; Will it be for gaming, overclocking, and budget. Explain what you want your computer for and include you'll be using an ssd. I'm not much of a build guru but ive seen the guys here recommend builds and the quality parts they include within a budget is outstanding.

Give it a go :)

Sata3 SSDs are already bouncing off the 6GBs limit so there is no need to RAID them. There would be a slight performance improvement but nothing that you will be able to actually see personally. Benchmarks tests, etc will show a little improvement.

And then there is a matter of trim support that RAID configurations do not have. I read an article in Anand Tech, that it is possibe to set up trim in a RAID configuration. But it is extremely difficult to get it right.