Sign in with
Your question
Solved

is a fx- 8350 good a gaming/ rendering cpu

Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2013 9:57:58 AM

so im going to start pc gaming along with youtube, i have played games before and like it enough to spend about $1000 on a pc. i am going to use a gtx 770 and was wondering if a fx-8350 would bottleneck and be able to render videos and pictures? i thought it was better than the i5 because of the 4 other cores for rendering and is there a huge gaming difference

More about : 8350 good gaming rendering cpu

June 4, 2013 10:25:14 AM

The i5 and 8350 will have very similar results in gaming, unless you choose titles that clearly favor Intel, at which point, the 8350 is still quite respectable. On threaded aps, however, you will be happier with the 8350.

There is also the near future to think about. The 8350's replacement, Steamroller, will work in the same board as the current iteration of the architecture, Piledriver, but the upgrade from any i5 will require a new motherboard. Whether this is an issue or not is your decision.
m
l
June 4, 2013 10:29:18 AM

jkjk755 said:
so im going to start pc gaming along with youtube, i have played games before and like it enough to spend about $1000 on a pc. i am going to use a gtx 770 and was wondering if a fx-8350 would bottleneck and be able to render videos and pictures? i thought it was better than the i5 because of the 4 other cores for rendering and is there a huge gaming difference

The 8350 is even with the 3570k because 2 cores from the 8350 roughly equal 1 core from the 3570k. Core for core, the individual cores are light-years apart.

Also in the next-gen AMD chips is a tech found in the PS4 called "hUMA" or heterogenous uniform memory access which shares both DDR3 SDRAM and DDR5 VRAM with the CPU and GPU so there is no lag between them. In fact, any component with RAM on it becomes part of a system-wide pool of RAM. This only works if the program is written for it, but with new PS4 ports coming out in the near future, there should be plenty.

Also, FTR, I have a 3770k with SLI GTX 660's and I am seriously considering getting the next gen AMD 8-core CPU with a DDR4 motherboard (FM4+).
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2013 4:57:21 PM

i have decided im going the the fx-8350 because i am going to be using apps like photoshop and sony vegas but would a haf 212 fit this build?
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:59:26 PM

FAMDUCK said:
jkjk755 said:

The 8350 is even with the 3570k because 2 cores from the 8350 roughly equal 1 core from the 3570k. Core for core, the individual cores are light-years apart.

Also in the next-gen AMD chips is a tech found in the PS4 called "hUMA" or heterogenous uniform memory access which shares both DDR3 SDRAM and DDR5 VRAM with the CPU and GPU so there is no lag between them. In fact, any component with RAM on it becomes part of a system-wide pool of RAM. This only works if the program is written for it, but with new PS4 ports coming out in the near future, there should be plenty.

Also, FTR, I have a 3770k with SLI GTX 660's and I am seriously considering getting the next gen AMD 8-core CPU with a DDR4 motherboard (FM4+).

+1

@OP: I think HAF 212 is an ATX Mid Tower, IIRC, and if that is true then yes, it would work just fine.
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:59:27 PM

FAMDUCK said:
jkjk755 said:

+1

@OP: I think HAF 212 is an ATX Mid Tower, IIRC, and if that is true then yes, it would work just fine.
m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2013 2:29:47 PM

I have the fx 8350 cpu and the Sabertooth 990fx am3+ R2.0 it is a boss and you will most likely not max this out I render and play a lot of games and it is awesome the most cpu it will use is 50-55% in any game. I have tried to max it out and I cannot only if I use Prime 95. I have it at stock.

I would recommend it with a h80 or Antec 920 BE VERY CAUSIOUS ABOUT THE MOBO YOU CHOOSE MINE WAS THE ONLY MOBO OUT THAT COULD NATIVELY SUPPORT IT. I stongly recommend doing a BIOS update even if it does work.
I get 34C on my cpu with a h60 cooler in push-pull with 2 corsair SP120 corsair fans.

if you need any help let me know.
!