i7 920 overclocking on p6x (beginner)

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
As the title says I'm a beginner in overclocking and I have a few questions.
I followed this video to help me overclock my i7 920.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyHVGmyjQo

I know its risky following this video and changing a bunch of settings in my bios but in the end it seems to have worked. The overclock was successful and I was running at 4ghz all yesterday. Although it was running hot, 50C idle and it shoots up to high 70s running prime95. I didn't run it long as I know those temps are dangerous.

I was wondering what I would have to change in my bios to get an ideal overclock. I know a little but most of the settings changed I have no clue about. I dropped down the voltage from 1.22 to 1.2 and decreased to multiplier by 2 to get 3.6ghz just so I feel like my computer isn't dying just sitting idle.

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

I've got a sufficient cooler, running high 30's on idle and high 60's with prime95 currently at 3.6 at 1.2v
My question is about all the settings I changed when following that video, I already lowered the multiplier and voltage to better suit my needs but I don't want to be running all the other settings in the bios at the wrong value for my current setup. I'm unsure as to what all of them do and don't want to risk changing them without a little advice.