Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU cooler for haswell and advice on Core i7-4770

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 4, 2013 2:18:26 PM

Hi all,

Need some advice, planning on a new haswell setup, to replace my 5 year old system. i was going to go for Core i7-4770, (non K). As i am not planning on OCing, mainly going to be used for video multimedia rather than gaming. Or would you recommend going for the Core i7-4770k instead?

This is the motherboard, i am planning on getting.
GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H

Any advice on CPU coolers, what you would recommend?

Would you go with this? looking for something quiet.
Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro SR1 CPU Cooler
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...

thanks all

More about : cpu cooler haswell advice core 4770

a c 153 à CPUs
June 4, 2013 2:37:06 PM

1. You don't need a CPU Cooler if you don't plan to overclock. Stock is fine.

2. You don't need a Z87 board either if you don't plan to overclock.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2013 2:49:18 PM

AS mentioned before, when not overclocking the stock cooler will be more than sufficient for your needs. Adding a new cooler would be only for decreasing noise, rather than improving upon anything else. The temperatures will only be a problem if you got really close to 105 celcius as the CPU will begin to throttle and maybe even shut down for safety reasons. The stock cooler will not let you down.

A 'Z' mobo is meant for overclocking both CPU and RAM. Getting a 'Z' mobo for your CPU will in most cases only benifit you, if you're going to overclock. A b85 or a h87 will be cheaper if not overclocking and will pretty much benifit you as much as a z85 or z87.



m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2013 1:00:45 AM

Thanks, the reason I was going for Z87 was because the chipsets are better, I get 8 or 10 Sata ports, + extra USB outputs. Other boards I only get 6 sata.
I got 5HDD's to connect, 1 SSD, and 1 DVD drive. Need min 8 Sata ports. I will have a look at the others, and go with stock cooler, just wanted a quiet machine, which can stay on overnight in the bedroom.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 2:15:27 AM

mandem said:
Thanks, the reason I was going for Z87 was because the chipsets are better, I get 8 or 10 Sata ports, + extra USB outputs. Other boards I only get 6 sata.
I got 5HDD's to connect, 1 SSD, and 1 DVD drive. Need min 8 Sata ports. I will have a look at the others, and go with stock cooler, just wanted a quiet machine, which can stay on overnight in the bedroom.


a h87 has the same amount of ports in general, but lacks overclocking potential. :) 
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 6:13:51 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
AS mentioned before, when not overclocking the stock cooler will be more than sufficient for your needs. Adding a new cooler would be only for decreasing noise, rather than improving upon anything else. The temperatures will only be a problem if you got really close to 105 celcius as the CPU will begin to throttle and maybe even shut down for safety reasons. The stock cooler will not let you down.

A 'Z' mobo is meant for overclocking both CPU and RAM. Getting a 'Z' mobo for your CPU will in most cases only benifit you, if you're going to overclock. A b85 or a h87 will be cheaper if not overclocking and will pretty much benifit you as much as a z85 or z87.


Yeah, but the temperature is at about 47-53 C when very light usage (<= 2% load) with stock cooler. Eg: browsing, messenger...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2013 8:34:57 AM

mandem said:
Or would you recommend going for the Core i7-4770k instead?

This is the motherboard, i am planning on getting.
GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H

Honestly I don´t know the price difference between i7-4770k + Z87 and i7-4770 non-k + H87 but if it´s not too much, I´d go for the k-setup just because you don´t really know what your needs will be in a year or so. But then again, that might be just me. ;) 



mandem said:

Any advice on CPU coolers, what you would recommend?

Would you go with this? looking for something quiet.
Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro SR1 CPU Cooler
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...

I wouldn´t use the stock CPU cooler. But again, that might be just me.
Personally, I am a big fan of Be Quiet! products. I think they are awesome.
m
0
l
!