Help? $1200 Price Limit Build

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I'm brand new to gaming computers. I just know the basics of what goes in. Never build one before either. I went to cyberpowerpc.com and configured a custom gaming pc out, but I am told that I can get the same there for much cheaper if I just build my own. Here is my setup on cyberpowerpc: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F5NVV

I will mostly be playing World of Warcraft and streaming(at the same time)

How is that setup?(I have no idea if that power is enough or not)

What changes if any would you make?

Can you find me the items for that setup so I can build it myself(I tried but it only came out like 40 dollars cheaper)(also the neon lights do not have to be in there if its a hassle to install them)

Any additional advice?

Yes you can do much better. For a gamer you can go without having the i7 portion to your build so I went with a unlocked 4670k. I went with a stronger graphics card in the GTX660Ti. From what I recall Nvidia cards tend to do better with WoW however that isn't to say AMD is bad because they are pretty good as well. For lighting I would look for light strips rather then light cathodes honestly less of a hassle. They give you a SSD in there build however they don't give you any storage outside that that is why I went with a 1 TB Hard Drive if you want a SSD which is nice to have with WoW you can install one on top of the storage drive. And windows 7 over windows 8 I don't like being stuck with a OS I would hate. Also you can buy a less expensive case and shave off a good 60-80 dollars for example the Fractal Design Define R4 with a window so you can see lights inside if that is what you fancy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($258.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Azza Fusion 3000 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1130.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-04 19:38 EDT-0400)

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
that setup looks great...I still wont need an i7 if im streaming at the same time I am playing wow with skype and most likely my stream running in the background? On the lights...how hard are those to install? Like do they just have a dedicated plug in to the motherboard(100% clueless on these lol) and for the graphics card. I heard wow isnt really gpu based and you dont need that great of a graphics card(its more cpu related) and the card I selected was the same card I saw someone streaming and it looked fine.

The i7 will be more useful however the i5 can take it. I would say if you were going to go seriously into streaming you would want a capture card honestly. But the i5 4670k should be sufficient. WoW and Skype are very lax in terms of resources.

With the Cathodes you tend to have to mount them somewhere on the bottom of your case or on the top or side or w.e. Strips are pretty easy you just put them where you want plus in the power and bam its just more convenient honestly. WoW is in fact not very GPU dependent sure it helps don't get me wrong. CPU>HDD/SSD>MEMORY>GPU. If you put in a SSD into that build you would be golden just for the OS of course. Here is what will happen with a SSD and wow I took this back when I played wow I don't anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2D7YbLljfc

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
oh and what did you mean by"Here is what will happen with a SSD and wow I took this back when I played wow I don't anymore." I watched the video and it only loads like 5 seconds faster than my laptop does.

if you are ditching the i7 then you will have extra there. I would ditch the 560 with that price you can get a gtx660 which is better by a long shot. Get a 840 pro ssd by samsung its around the same price and stronger than that ssd. Get a XFX 550 watt and you'll be good there. And if you can help it get 2x4GB memory dual channel makes a difference not a ton but everything counts.

your build

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($200.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1132.34
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 18:48 EDT-0400)

what I'd change build

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1022.35
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 18:47 EDT-0400)

g-unit1111

Titan

Pairing such an old GPU with a new CPU doesn't make sense at all.

Here's what I would suggest:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($147.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($287.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1202.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-05 18:54 EDT-0400)

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
@bigshooter that build looks perfect...your my favorite person in the world lol...do you have any links to videos to putting my computer together...i hear its actually pretty easy and im good with stuff like this so im hoping i can do it no problem but would like to know what im getting into....thanks again

That works to. I prefer Samsung but meh! And a 7950 is good it comes with some games to if you are wanting to give some other really good games a shot. Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, and Crysis 3. I just hear that Nvidia cards play a little nicer with WoW but either are fine I've played WoW with a lot less.

There are 2 videos I would suggest to you. One from Linus Tech Tips and one from Paul @ Newegg. You made it on the forums dude you can do ETT! Also your most welcome sir.

Linus: This one goes pretty in depth on things I think you will find most helpful. Although he goes into components you may not be interested in but its still a good watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM&feature=share&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw
Newegg: The meat and potatoes of computer building
part one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
part two:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
part three:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

g-unit1111

Titan

I have a OCZ Vertex 4 and it's a great drive, I've had zero issues with it. The Samsung 840 Pro isn't bad either.

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
hey im watching that first video and hes running power cables from the power supply(6pin and 8 pin connectors) to the graphics card(also running cables to power his fans)...do those cables come with the power supply?

Yes the graphics card has power cables those come with power supplies and more cables with larger power supplies. But yes you get the cables you need for that however in situations where you need 6+2 cables times 4 it may be more difficult with a budget power supply say for example a GTX780.

Also, in regards to fan connections for power a lot of fans will come with 3 and 4 pin connectors those can be actually connected to your motherboard and your motherboard will be powered by a cable so you won't need anything extra. Some fans however can be powered with 4 pin molex and those come with your power supply so your fans will be taken care of. And you can connect 3 pin fans into 4 pin connections the 4th pin is just there to alter speeds depending on situations.

Strongsiide

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
also I just learned about a modular power supply and I dont think the power supply I was going use was and it sounds like a great idea...any thoughts....http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze(what i was going with)

Yes, your motherboard on the bottom right has pins that are connected from your case to your motherboard that is to control your front IO. (power button, reset, and activity LED's) However, on a lot of the newer boards they are coming with power buttons that you can use as a test bench scenario where you don't physically have to have a case on hand or short a pin to get your computer to start up.

That is a good deal on a solid power supply unit. That is a good price for a power supply and its a also directly from Seasonic a fair number of good power supply manufactures use these components.