Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How Much Ram Can My System Support

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 5, 2013 7:43:19 AM

I have a Compaq SG3570IL Desktop CPU visited the Compaq site and they say that my PC is capable of handling only 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.

Is this true?And if so,why is there a limitation on the amount of Ram a motherboard can support?

More about : ram system support

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 7:49:21 AM

There are limitations to what the mobo can support. There are also limitations to what the OS can support.

32 bit will only support up to 4 GB of ram. 64 bit will support more. Windows home only supports up to 16 gb. Pro Ultimate etc supports 192 on a 64 bit.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...
Share
a c 98 à CPUs
June 5, 2013 7:54:33 AM

Bhrigu Kapur said:
I have a Compaq SG3570IL Desktop CPU visited the Compaq site and they say that my PC is capable of handling only 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.

Is this true?And if so,why is there a limitation on the amount of Ram a motherboard can support?


yes.

because the motherboard is build that way.
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
June 5, 2013 8:12:23 AM

unoriginal1 said:
There are limitations to what the mobo can support. There are also limitations to what the OS can support.

32 bit will only support up to 4 GB of ram. 64 bit will support more. Windows home only supports up to 16 gb. Pro Ultimate etc supports 192 on a 64 bit.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...


Not all 32 bit system only support 4 gb of ram and not all 64 bit system will support up to how many you want (for ex. 100GB) that is dumb one.

It will depend on your CPU if how much ram did it can support. The only motherboard can give is how much MHz can the motherboard support and how many slot of DDR2 or DDR3 Ram did your motherboard have....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 8:27:19 AM

Anonymous said:
unoriginal1 said:
There are limitations to what the mobo can support. There are also limitations to what the OS can support.

32 bit will only support up to 4 GB of ram. 64 bit will support more. Windows home only supports up to 16 gb. Pro Ultimate etc supports 192 on a 64 bit.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...


Not all 32 bit system only support 4 gb of ram and not all 64 bit system will support up to how many you want (for ex. 100GB) that is dumb one.

It will depend on your CPU if how much ram did it can support. The only motherboard can give is how much MHz can the motherboard support and how many slot of DDR2 or DDR3 Ram did your motherboard have....


Are you trying to say Microsoft is wrong?

Every single 32 bit system from Windows will only support up to 4GB some only 2GB.
It doesn't matter if your Mobo supports 64GB of ram.. If your running a 32 bit system it will only recognize 4 GB that is a limitation of the OS.

Please refer to the link I posted above.

*edit* With the exception of Server OS's ;) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 9:27:52 AM

Concur with unoriginal1
1) OS constaints, Already posted - ink provided by unoriginal1.
2) MB, or more correctly the Memory controller (chipset). This chipset along with BIOS dictates the max per socket and max installed.

3) many of the "older " DDR2 systems were MB limited to max per socket = 1 or 2 gigs with a max of 4 gigs installed.
m
0
l
!