OK guys so I just built a new rig

Asus Crosshair V Formula-z Mobo
FX-8350 processor
Corsair H100i liquid cooler
2x XFX 7970 GHZ gfx cards
32gigs corsair dominator platinum RAM
1200 WAT PSU
and all the peripherals and what not

Everything is running smoothly, the airflow in my case lets my two 7970s run at ~65C during load which is great, but I cant for the life of me figure out if my processor is too hot or not. I'm getting tons of different readings from different sources and I don't know what to trust.

I didn't overclock the 8350 yet so its running at the stock 4.0 and i haven't touched anything in the bios (so all the power saving crap is enabled). When I go into bios it reads the CPU temp at about 37C. When I'm in the OS, HWmonitor reads the CPU temp at about the same as my bios but the package temperature is in the low 20s. Some places Ive read the package temperature is what you want to pay attention to, other places say the exact opposite. My corsair link software is showing that the h100i temperature is at 31.5C.

Long story short, which temperature should i be trusting? Also if I should be trusting the bios temp then isn't 37C way to high for a liquid cooler? What is the most reliable way to tell how hot your processor is actually running?

Punkbuster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Now when you say 37C idle is what it should be around do you mean in general or for the 8350 specifically? Also are you saying 37C is what it should be with the stock cooler, because i assume it should idle lower with a water cooler than a stock cooler.

Punkbuster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Ive only had a chance to test it playing Planetside 2 (which is fairly processor heavy) and the temperature stayed in the high 40s.

Punkbuster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

OK sweet that puts my mind at rest, Thank! . Real quick you wouldn't happen to know what temperature I should really be paying attention to using HWmonitor? The package temps or the core temps or what?