Looking for a $300 Linux Laptop

jaytechgaming

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hey, I wanted to know if there are any laptops that can be purchased for around $200-$300 that come with some form of linux (preferably Ubuntu or Mint) with a decent CPU and atleast 3GB of DDR3 Ram (Prefer 4GB @ 1336 or 1600). Would like a matte display ~15in large. I would like to use this as a portable workstation that can handle a bit of 3D rendering and music production when I am not near my main rig.

Solution
As I have mentioned in one of my previous postings - check yBay for "Linux Laptop". You will see plenty of used Dell / Lenovo laptops in your price range with preinstalled Ubuntu.

Buying a brand-new Laptop means it will come pre-installed with Windows, and you will struggle with UEFI BIOSes to re-partition it and install Ubuntu in dual-boot scenario (and you will pay extra for Windows license you don't want).

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Besides a pawn shop (where I pickep up a Dell Inspiron N5110 with i5 and 6gigs for $299), try here
You'll have to load linux yourself

May 17, 2013
There are not Linux-native laptops for that budget.

I recomend you an Intel i3 computer, since CPU and GPU drivers are awesome and work like a charm. The bad thind about this is that an Intel HD graphic card isn't that good for video, music or photo editing... but will do the work.

Laptop dedicated GPU wich are what you need, doesn't work very good in Linux, at least new ones. New NVidia GPUs bring 'Optimus' technology wich switch between integrated and dedicated GPU to save energy, but doesn't work in Linux, you've to use a new proyect called 'Bumblebee' wich bring lots of headackes unless you like to tinker.
AMD/ATI GPUs have mediocre drivers and they rise your computer temperature/energy consumption unless it is a cutting-edge model.

In a 400$ budget there are some nice things like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314007

Going for 300$ you've to drop to Intel Celeron or an AMD APU, wich aren't that bad either...

Regardless what you choose, you'll have to install Linux manually, but it is pretty straightfoward nowadays...

Good luck!

jaytechgaming

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Thanks for all the help guys. I have changed my plans on what to use this device for now that with your help and my own research I have realized that the $200-$300 budget may be a little to constricting for what I want. What is the best laptop to purchase for web browsing, listening to music, and maybe some basic gaming? I just want something slim and light. I am looking at the nexus 7 tablet for those features, but I know people who own them that run into problem s with the wireless chip not being able to handle streaming (It is not their network). I am thinking into maybe checking out some of my friend's/relative's previously owned laptops to try and find one Ubuntu compatible. If I cannot, do you guys know of any cheap laptops that fit in the budget that are Ubuntu compatible?

jaytechgaming

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Sorry about the Nexus 7 distraction. I am looking for a laptop in the $200-$300 range that is fully compatible with the newest version of Ubuntu that can do web browsing, word processing, and do basic multitasking. I would also prefer a webcam and mic, but it is not necessary.

Live: US
Newegg
TigerDirect
Etc.

jaytechgaming

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Sorry about the Nexus 7 distraction. I am looking for a laptop in the $200-$300 range that is fully compatible with the newest version of Ubuntu that can do web browsing, word processing, and do basic multitasking. I would also prefer a webcam and mic, but it is not necessary. Do not really care about the HDD since I can replace it with an SSD.

Live: US
Newegg
TigerDirect
Bestbuy
Costco
etc.

As I have mentioned in one of my previous postings - check yBay for "Linux Laptop". You will see plenty of used Dell / Lenovo laptops in your price range with preinstalled Ubuntu.

Buying a brand-new Laptop means it will come pre-installed with Windows, and you will struggle with UEFI BIOSes to re-partition it and install Ubuntu in dual-boot scenario (and you will pay extra for Windows license you don't want).

Solution

jaytechgaming

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I'm sorry, I actually didn't see your response from earlier :D Thanks