Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a $300 Linux Laptop

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
June 5, 2013 2:33:23 PM

Hey, I wanted to know if there are any laptops that can be purchased for around $200-$300 that come with some form of linux (preferably Ubuntu or Mint) with a decent CPU and atleast 3GB of DDR3 Ram (Prefer 4GB @ 1336 or 1600). Would like a matte display ~15in large. I would like to use this as a portable workstation that can handle a bit of 3D rendering and music production when I am not near my main rig.

More about : 300 linux laptop

June 5, 2013 2:40:23 PM

Laptops with Linux preinstalled are few and far between, and I can't remember seeing any for ~$300. And I don't see any laptop for $200.

Just buy a regular one and wipe it.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
m
0
l
June 7, 2013 9:30:43 PM

jaytechgaming said:
Hey, I wanted to know if there are any laptops that can be purchased for around $200-$300 that come with some form of linux (preferably Ubuntu or Mint) with a decent CPU and atleast 3GB of DDR3 Ram (Prefer 4GB @ 1336 or 1600). Would like a matte display ~15in large. I would like to use this as a portable workstation that can handle a bit of 3D rendering and music production when I am not near my main rig.

Besides a pawn shop (where I pickep up a Dell Inspiron N5110 with i5 and 6gigs for $299), try here
You'll have to load linux yourself
m
0
l
Related resources
June 20, 2013 6:37:23 AM

There are not Linux-native laptops for that budget.

I recomend you an Intel i3 computer, since CPU and GPU drivers are awesome and work like a charm. The bad thind about this is that an Intel HD graphic card isn't that good for video, music or photo editing... but will do the work.

Laptop dedicated GPU wich are what you need, doesn't work very good in Linux, at least new ones. New NVidia GPUs bring 'Optimus' technology wich switch between integrated and dedicated GPU to save energy, but doesn't work in Linux, you've to use a new proyect called 'Bumblebee' wich bring lots of headackes unless you like to tinker.
AMD/ATI GPUs have mediocre drivers and they rise your computer temperature/energy consumption unless it is a cutting-edge model.

In a 400$ budget there are some nice things like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Going for 300$ you've to drop to Intel Celeron or an AMD APU, wich aren't that bad either...

Regardless what you choose, you'll have to install Linux manually, but it is pretty straightfoward nowadays...

Good luck!
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 5:17:54 AM

Jose Navarro Vicente said:
There are not Linux-native laptops for that budget.

I recomend you an Intel i3 computer, since CPU and GPU drivers are awesome and work like a charm. The bad thind about this is that an Intel HD graphic card isn't that good for video, music or photo editing... but will do the work.

Laptop dedicated GPU wich are what you need, doesn't work very good in Linux, at least new ones. New NVidia GPUs bring 'Optimus' technology wich switch between integrated and dedicated GPU to save energy, but doesn't work in Linux, you've to use a new proyect called 'Bumblebee' wich bring lots of headackes unless you like to tinker.
AMD/ATI GPUs have mediocre drivers and they rise your computer temperature/energy consumption unless it is a cutting-edge model.

In a 400$ budget there are some nice things like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Going for 300$ you've to drop to Intel Celeron or an AMD APU, wich aren't that bad either...

Regardless what you choose, you'll have to install Linux manually, but it is pretty straightfoward nowadays...

Good luck!


Thanks for all the help guys. I have changed my plans on what to use this device for now that with your help and my own research I have realized that the $200-$300 budget may be a little to constricting for what I want. What is the best laptop to purchase for web browsing, listening to music, and maybe some basic gaming? I just want something slim and light. I am looking at the nexus 7 tablet for those features, but I know people who own them that run into problem s with the wireless chip not being able to handle streaming (It is not their network). I am thinking into maybe checking out some of my friend's/relative's previously owned laptops to try and find one Ubuntu compatible. If I cannot, do you guys know of any cheap laptops that fit in the budget that are Ubuntu compatible?
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 8:41:55 AM

So, get your priorities right. You have started with Linux laptop, now you're talking about just about "best laptop to purchase", and finally - Nexus 7. So you want
- a tables?
- a Linux laptop?
- a Windows laptop?
Finally - where you live / buy from?
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 8:58:21 AM

Alabalcho said:
So, get your priorities right. You have started with Linux laptop, now you're talking about just about "best laptop to purchase", and finally - Nexus 7. So you want
- a tables?
- a Linux laptop?
- a Windows laptop?
Finally - where you live / buy from?


Sorry about the Nexus 7 distraction. I am looking for a laptop in the $200-$300 range that is fully compatible with the newest version of Ubuntu that can do web browsing, word processing, and do basic multitasking. I would also prefer a webcam and mic, but it is not necessary.

Live: US
Newegg
TigerDirect
Etc.

m
0
l
June 27, 2013 8:58:29 AM

Alabalcho said:
So, get your priorities right. You have started with Linux laptop, now you're talking about just about "best laptop to purchase", and finally - Nexus 7. So you want
- a tables?
- a Linux laptop?
- a Windows laptop?
Finally - where you live / buy from?


Sorry about the Nexus 7 distraction. I am looking for a laptop in the $200-$300 range that is fully compatible with the newest version of Ubuntu that can do web browsing, word processing, and do basic multitasking. I would also prefer a webcam and mic, but it is not necessary. Do not really care about the HDD since I can replace it with an SSD.

Live: US
Newegg
TigerDirect
Bestbuy
Costco
etc.

m
0
l

Best solution

June 27, 2013 6:05:58 PM

As I have mentioned in one of my previous postings - check yBay for "Linux Laptop". You will see plenty of used Dell / Lenovo laptops in your price range with preinstalled Ubuntu.

Buying a brand-new Laptop means it will come pre-installed with Windows, and you will struggle with UEFI BIOSes to re-partition it and install Ubuntu in dual-boot scenario (and you will pay extra for Windows license you don't want).
Share
June 27, 2013 6:08:34 PM

Alabalcho said:
As I have mentioned in one of my previous postings - check yBay for "Linux Laptop". You will see plenty of used Dell / Lenovo laptops in your price range with preinstalled Ubuntu.

Buying a brand-new Laptop means it will come pre-installed with Windows, and you will struggle with UEFI BIOSes to re-partition it and install Ubuntu in dual-boot scenario (and you will pay extra for Windows license you don't want).


I'm sorry, I actually didn't see your response from earlier :D  Thanks
m
0
l
!