Sign in with
Your question
Solved

fx 8350 + gigabyte 990fx ud3 or i5 3570k + asrock extreme 4

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2013 4:39:30 PM

I cannot make up my mind on which one to get, and haswell is out of my budget (I'd really have to skimp on the mobo, and when overclocked ivy and haswell perform the same anyways) I'm ordering my parts today or tomorrow and I can't wait for steamroller. I know there are a lot of posts comparing these two cpus, but none have answered my question. I will definitely play minecraft, I will most likely play fsx, and I might try other games. Gaming isn't my biggest concern though, and my gtx 650 ti boost is gonna bottleneck me way before my processor if I get the fx 8350 (correct me if I'm wrong). The most multitasking i'll do in a worst case scenario would be playing a game while having skype running in the background, running a video chat over gmail, having 5-10 browser windows open, and ~5 ms office windows open, and having some programming window open. Will the fx 8350 offer significant advantages while doing this? I might also do some light programming on dev c++, which i have heard is single threaded. will the fx 8350 be fast enough? I might do some very light photoshop. also, does the power consumption and heat of piledriver make any difference in the power bill or cooling? Lastly, I read a post about someone saying that the fx 8350 is "snappier" in general use compared to the i5, and I read a post about frame latencies when gaming on an fx 8350 - are these true?

also, is z77 better than 990fx in any way other than the useless pci 3.0

p.s.
how far do you think i'd be able to overclock these processors with the mobo mentioned, a cooler master hyper 212 plus, and a haf 212 with stock fans
June 5, 2013 4:42:03 PM

and while i'm at it might as well ask, is the rosewill hive series 650W power supply dependable
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 5:04:25 PM

What games do you play? Also, are you planning on using the system for any other purpose?

Also, PCIe 3.0 is about the only thing going for the Z77 and as you have stated, its not very beneficial in most cases.
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2013 5:15:03 PM

I'll be using the pc for general use (streaming, surfing, video chatting, games, ms office, some programming, and very light photoshop). I know i'll be playing minecraft and fsx for sure, i don't really other games I'll play because right now minecraft is the only game I can run on my pc, and even then with optifine and tons of lag
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 5:28:11 PM

I would go with the FX-8350 build. Consider dropping down to a 970 north bridge board and upgrading your GPU to a GTX 660 or HD 7870.
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:30:21 PM

that's $20 more than the rosewill one...
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:31:01 PM

How much of a performance boost would I get in gaming with the i5 (it's only $10 more), and will the fx 8350 make my system feel faster

edit: what is the difference between 970 and 990 fx
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:34:03 PM

I'll get the corsair cx 600m (i might have gotten the name wrong) then, it's much cheaper
m
l
a c 752 à CPUs
June 5, 2013 5:37:18 PM

I'll get the corsair cx 600m < CX Series is for budget builds.Don't cheap out on the PSU it's the heart of your system
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 5:43:21 PM

stuffandthings said:
I'll get the corsair cx 600m (i might have gotten the name wrong) then, it's much cheaper

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 is currently a better buy and higher quality than the CX series.

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I'll get the corsair cx 600m < CX Series is for budget builds.Don't cheap out on the PSU it's the heart of your system

The Hive is no Seasonic top tier PSU but I am unsure where you are getting the idea that it is a subpar PSU...
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:48:59 PM

Basically I just want to know if the psu is reliable enough to not blow up and destroy all the parts in my system. I don't need 80 gold. Now can we get back to the main focus of this post. Is my multitasking serious enough to a point where the amd would be significantly snappier?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 5:54:17 PM

stuffandthings said:
what is the difference between 970 and 990 fx

Primarily just SLI support.

stuffandthings said:
Basically I just want to know if the psu is reliable enough to not blow up and destroy all the parts in my system. I don't need 80 gold. Now can we get back to the main focus of this post. Is my multitasking serious enough to a point where the amd would be significantly snappier?

Stick with the Rosewill Hive 650.

The 8350 should provide greater longevity than the 3570K due the the increased cores since the games that you are currently playing will see no real performance difference between the two processors.
m
l
June 5, 2013 5:57:55 PM

but how much of a difference is there between the two processors in single threaded performance? because benchmarks show it to be close to 25%. and in extremely cpu dependent games, how much of a performance boost will i notice. I also want to look at it the other way. How much will the slower multithreaded performance of the i5 actually affect me during multitasking?

and can someone finally answer my question: is the fx 8350 "snappier" than the i5 in general use

EDIT: I should mention, these processors + mobos are costing more or less the same, so price isn't a factor in this comparison. I just want to know which cpu is faster for my uses

EDIT 2: If going amd, i'll drop to 970 asrock extreme 4, and i'll drop to asrock extreme3 if I go intel. I'll just save money, I don't need a more powerful video card. How is the overclocking on these mobos. So just tell me this: while gaming, video chatting, surfing the web, having ms office windows open, and having programming windows open, which cpu is faster? and by how much.

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 7:20:57 PM

stuffandthings said:
but how much of a difference is there between the two processors in single threaded performance? because benchmarks show it to be close to 25%. and in extremely cpu dependent games, how much of a performance boost will i notice. I also want to look at it the other way. How much will the slower multithreaded performance of the i5 actually affect me during multitasking?

and can someone finally answer my question: is the fx 8350 "snappier" than the i5 in general use

EDIT: I should mention, these processors + mobos are costing more or less the same, so price isn't a factor in this comparison. I just want to know which cpu is faster for my uses

EDIT 2: If going amd, i'll drop to 970 asrock extreme 4, and i'll drop to asrock extreme3 if I go intel. I'll just save money, I don't need a more powerful video card. How is the overclocking on these mobos. So just tell me this: while gaming, video chatting, surfing the web, having ms office windows open, and having programming windows open, which cpu is faster? and by how much.

It may be easier for you to provide the budget and for us to build a rig that best fits that budget...
m
l
June 5, 2013 8:18:52 PM

slomo4sho said:
stuffandthings said:

It may be easier for you to provide the budget and for us to build a rig that best fits that budget...

budget: ~$950

purpose: some gaming, general surfing, streaming hd videos, ms office stuff, video chatting, light programming and photoshop, many of these things at the same time

NOTE: I want a 120gb ssd in this build

Part Preferences: NONE

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard, mouse - I do need os, it's part of the budget

ocing: yes, but moderately (want cm hyper 212+ for cooler)

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 8:35:03 PM

Do you need the OS as well in that $950 budget? Also, are you near a Microcenter?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 8:42:32 PM

The FX 8350 is good enough for all those. You can't go wrong with either CPU. Me personally, I preffer AMD because of the upgrade path. Don't be fooled, the FX 8350 is more than enough for gaming on a 60Hz monitor. Most people turn on VSync anyways, it's better just to invest in a GPU. I can run most games on max and high settings on my old Phenom II x4 840 and HD 7870 no overclocks, and depending on what new title I'm playing, I can usually maintain 60FPS except in games that are as demanding as crysis 3. From what I hear a FX 8350 chomps right threw that game. Anyone who says you need an i5 or i7 for best performance for gaming is a idiot. They're good, but you have to be willing to pay more, if you live by a microcenter, heck, jump on it!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 8:44:43 PM

Actually, the intel chips run pretty hot and don't have much OC headroom. Guys have gotten the FX 8350 to (I think it was) 4.5GHz on air.
m
l
June 5, 2013 8:48:55 PM

Price isn't a consideration though because they cost the same. I can't upgrade the gpu by going with either one. I know both are good enough, but which one is better. as of now, the fx 8350 is $193 and the i5 3570k is $196. The asrock extreme4 970 is $99.99 and the asrock z77 extreme 3 is $102
m
l
June 5, 2013 8:53:39 PM

slomo4sho said:
Do you need the OS as well in that $950 budget? Also, are you near a Microcenter?

I need the os in the budget, and I don't live by a microcenter.

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 8:59:46 PM
June 5, 2013 9:23:26 PM

Ill just make a few changes to this. Ill buy the hyper 212 plus instead, get the asrock 970 extreme 4 mobo, get the 830 series ssd, get the haf 912 instead, and buy windows 8 with the star dock thing which makes it a faster version of windows 7

Also does am3+ natively support ddr3 1866 or would i have to oc manually
m
l
June 5, 2013 9:28:56 PM

I my use would i notice the difference between the samsung 830 series and 840 series
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 10:09:14 PM

You have to overclock memory to 1866. That motherboard from MSI, I don't know. Not a big fan of their mobo's personally. Although they have reinvented themselves as of late with the gaming series and the dragon on them. I have a friend who had terrible luck with a lower end z68 mobo. Took about 2 RMA's to get it right and he is going to ditch it altogether if it bites the dust again. Others have good experiences but that's my two cents.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2013 10:26:12 PM

stuffandthings said:

Ill just make a few changes to this. Ill buy the hyper 212 plus instead, get the asrock 970 extreme 4 mobo, get the 830 series ssd, get the haf 912 instead, and buy windows 8 with the star dock thing which makes it a faster version of windows 7

Also does am3+ natively support ddr3 1866 or would i have to oc manually

That is fine. Most people prefer 7 over 8 currently so only reason I added 7 but both OS are the same price currently. The Hyper EVO performs slightly better than the 212 so that is up to you whether the added cooling is worth the extra $10. The FX-8350 does natively support 1866 ram but you may need to go into the board bios to set the frequency and timing since the asrock 970 extreme 4 doesn't have native support for memory above 1333 (but can support overclock of up to 2100). Also, the performance difference between the 830 and 840 is pretty similar and the updated 840 would be recommended over the 830. Lastly, the case comes down to personal preference, the Corsair 200R is also a great choice and is currently available for $30 after rebate (this price is good today only).

m
l
June 6, 2013 7:00:23 AM

yea I'm definitely not getting the mobo you suggested because of this response to a comment:

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the issues that you are having with this product.
The FX processor support is limited for this board, it only damages the board but it does not damage the processor up.
This is a hardware limitation where a high TDP processor such as FX-8350 that can drain power that exceed motherboard's specification and damages it.
The processor can work with the board but you cannot use it for video encoding/editing because the appliaction is intensive.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our tech support team directly at 626.271.1004 for assistance during regular business hours from M to F, 9am to 6pm Pacific Time.
Or you can email us at usreview@msi.com, thank you.

Best Regards,
MSI Review Team | usreview@msi.com

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 10:33:34 AM

stuffandthings said:
yea I'm definitely not getting the mobo you suggested because of this response to a comment:

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued Customer,

The FX processor support is limited for this board, it only damages the board but it does not damage the processor up.
This is a hardware limitation where a high TDP processor such as FX-8350 that can drain power that exceed motherboard's specification and damages it.
The processor can work with the board but you cannot use it for video encoding/editing because the appliaction is intensive.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with our tech support team directly at 626.271.1004 for assistance during regular business hours from M to F, 9am to 6pm Pacific Time.

Best Regards,

Are you referring to the 970A-G46?
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 10:47:04 AM

stuffandthings said:

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued Customer,

Best Regards,

Not all boards support 125W TDP CPUs. If you use a FX8350 in a 95W board...you will fry something somewhere...I am sure that was the case there. Someone probably put an 8 core CPU into a 95W board, and that's bad juju!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:10:44 AM

8350rocks said:

Not all boards support 125W TDP CPUs. If you use a FX8350 in a 95W board...you will fry something somewhere...I am sure that was the case there. Someone probably put an 8 core CPU into a 95W board, and that's bad juju!

The board does indicate support for the FX-8350 but I am sure that it was overclocked and the board couldn't support the extra power.

Another review suggested the following:
Quote:
Since I see a lot of processors (i'm a builder), and this was/is my primary AMD test/bench board I think I can safely say this is one very well made board. It had some overheating issues around the Mosfets when the FX8350 was installed at times. So I removed the Mosfet heatsink, sanded down the bottom of it then used Artic-5 and thermal epoxy. After that I was able to get 4.6 Ghz stable P95 - 3 days and all gaming tests stable. This board has accepted many brands of memory, Corsair, Gskill, Crucial, Patriot etc.. and most ran just great. Since it was my test board and it was so good to me - it's now my regular second system. I sold the FX8350 and use the 975 Phenom. It overclocked all afore mentioned chips well. Currently the 975 PH-BE is undervolted @ 1.35v running @ 3.8 Ghz with 16GB DDR3 1600 Patriot. Cool n Quiet works great idle temps are around 27c and load (games) @ max 49c with a Hyper 212. Runs with a Seagate 1TB and WD Black 1TB just fine. Onboard analog sound is very lacking. Not much amplification or volume so I installed a Xonar DG in the bottom PCI slot, which solved that issue.
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:16:52 AM

So it was a review for a specific board then? Ahh, thought it was a review of MSI in general.

In that case...then yes, someone was really putting the screws to their rig and pushing too hard, or doing something wrong. The G46 is a decent board and not bad for overclocking...
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:22:25 AM

8350rocks said:
So it was a review for a specific board then? Ahh, thought it was a review of MSI in general.

In that case...then yes, someone was really putting the screws to their rig and pushing too hard, or doing something wrong. The G46 is a decent board and not bad for overclocking...

The OP seems to be using the user reviews on Newegg to evaluate this board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:27:12 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Not a great idea ^

Especially when you only utilize the small % of bad reviews to formulate an opinion :) 
m
l
a c 752 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:29:31 AM

I couldn't agree more ^
m
l
June 6, 2013 2:42:30 PM

I'm not using the reviews, but that was a msi support team response to a comment. Will I have any problem like this with the asrock extreme4 970? Also, how is the overclocking on that board (like would I be able to get to 4.5ghz with a cooler master hyper 212 plus?)
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 2:45:06 PM

The extreme series Asrock's overclock well, though, the Gigabyte 970 UD3 is a great overclocking board as well.
m
l
June 6, 2013 2:52:39 PM

that's a good suggestion.....does the extreme4 also have a 8 + 2 power phase design (not too sure what that means, but I've heard its good for overclocking :D ). and how hard is it to overclock memory on the extreme4? I'm buying ddr3 1600 and the gigabyte supports it natively. I'm probably going to still go for the extreme4 just because it can be configured to have pci 2.0 x8/x8 while the gigabyte can only have x16/x4, which would bottleneck (once more, correct me if I'm wrong - I usually am about this stuff)
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:11:42 PM

stuffandthings said:
that's a good suggestion.....does the extreme4 also have a 8 + 2 power phase design (not too sure what that means, but I've heard its good for overclocking :D ). and how hard is it to overclock memory on the extreme4? I'm buying ddr3 1600 and the gigabyte supports it natively. I'm probably going to still go for the extreme4 just because it can be configured to have pci 2.0 x8/x8 while the gigabyte can only have x16/x4, which would bottleneck (once more, correct me if I'm wrong - I usually am about this stuff)

SLI requires a x8/x8 whereas crossfire works fine at x16/x4 with current generation cards.
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:11:49 PM

Honestly, the best board for what you're wanting to do is the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gen3 R2.0, it even has PCIe 3.0 support so you won't lose GPU bandwidth in SLI/CF.
m
l
June 6, 2013 3:26:20 PM

8350rocks said:
The extreme series Asrock's overclock well, though, the Gigabyte 970 UD3 is a great overclocking board as well.

8350rocks said:
Honestly, the best board for what you're wanting to do is the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gen3 R2.0, it even has PCIe 3.0 support so you won't lose GPU bandwidth in SLI/CF.

That's 80 dollars more than the cpu's I'm considering. Is the Asrock a dependable mobo though? I'll only overclock mildly/moderately, nothing over 4.6 ghz

m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:54:45 PM

Both the Gigabyte and the Asrock would work fine...the sabertooth is great for a real hardcore OC...you can get to 4.5-4.6 GHz on the Asrock or the Gigabyte easily though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 4:05:03 PM

stuffandthings said:
That's 80 dollars more than the cpu's I'm considering. Is the Asrock a dependable mobo though? I'll only overclock mildly/moderately, nothing over 4.6 ghz

There are not many differences between the ASRock, Gigabyte, and MSI boards. Keep it simple and pick the board that you like.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 4:45:29 PM

stuffandthings said:
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm gonna go with this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13KOC

Pick up this combo instead. The price difference between the 1600 ram and the 1866 ram is $6 when using this bundle.
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 4:46:49 PM

Looks like a good solid build! Good Luck! :) 

Please don't forget to share some solution love.
m
l
June 6, 2013 4:51:05 PM

btw how hard is it to overclock the ram stuff
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 4:54:50 PM

Overclocking RAM is a bit more convoluted than a CPU, if you get 1866 MHz RAM, you should be fine with that. I have 1866 MHz RAM in my rig and it works just fine.

EDIT: I am sure if you google RAM overclocking there will be some guides about how to do it, likely in this forum in the memory section or the overclocking section.
m
l
June 6, 2013 5:40:09 PM

is ocing ram the same as letting the mobo run a ram higher than it supports without ocing (like 1866mhz for extreme4 970)
m
l
!