fx 8350 + gigabyte 990fx ud3 or i5 3570k + asrock extreme 4

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I cannot make up my mind on which one to get, and haswell is out of my budget (I'd really have to skimp on the mobo, and when overclocked ivy and haswell perform the same anyways) I'm ordering my parts today or tomorrow and I can't wait for steamroller. I know there are a lot of posts comparing these two cpus, but none have answered my question. I will definitely play minecraft, I will most likely play fsx, and I might try other games. Gaming isn't my biggest concern though, and my gtx 650 ti boost is gonna bottleneck me way before my processor if I get the fx 8350 (correct me if I'm wrong). The most multitasking i'll do in a worst case scenario would be playing a game while having skype running in the background, running a video chat over gmail, having 5-10 browser windows open, and ~5 ms office windows open, and having some programming window open. Will the fx 8350 offer significant advantages while doing this? I might also do some light programming on dev c++, which i have heard is single threaded. will the fx 8350 be fast enough? I might do some very light photoshop. also, does the power consumption and heat of piledriver make any difference in the power bill or cooling? Lastly, I read a post about someone saying that the fx 8350 is "snappier" in general use compared to the i5, and I read a post about frame latencies when gaming on an fx 8350 - are these true?

also, is z77 better than 990fx in any way other than the useless pci 3.0

p.s.
how far do you think i'd be able to overclock these processors with the mobo mentioned, a cooler master hyper 212 plus, and a haf 212 with stock fans

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I'll be using the pc for general use (streaming, surfing, video chatting, games, ms office, some programming, and very light photoshop). I know i'll be playing minecraft and fsx for sure, i don't really other games I'll play because right now minecraft is the only game I can run on my pc, and even then with optifine and tons of lag

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 is currently a better buy and higher quality than the CX series.

The Hive is no Seasonic top tier PSU but I am unsure where you are getting the idea that it is a subpar PSU...

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Basically I just want to know if the psu is reliable enough to not blow up and destroy all the parts in my system. I don't need 80 gold. Now can we get back to the main focus of this post. Is my multitasking serious enough to a point where the amd would be significantly snappier?

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Primarily just SLI support.

Stick with the Rosewill Hive 650.

The 8350 should provide greater longevity than the 3570K due the the increased cores since the games that you are currently playing will see no real performance difference between the two processors.

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
but how much of a difference is there between the two processors in single threaded performance? because benchmarks show it to be close to 25%. and in extremely cpu dependent games, how much of a performance boost will i notice. I also want to look at it the other way. How much will the slower multithreaded performance of the i5 actually affect me during multitasking?

and can someone finally answer my question: is the fx 8350 "snappier" than the i5 in general use

EDIT: I should mention, these processors + mobos are costing more or less the same, so price isn't a factor in this comparison. I just want to know which cpu is faster for my uses

EDIT 2: If going amd, i'll drop to 970 asrock extreme 4, and i'll drop to asrock extreme3 if I go intel. I'll just save money, I don't need a more powerful video card. How is the overclocking on these mobos. So just tell me this: while gaming, video chatting, surfing the web, having ms office windows open, and having programming windows open, which cpu is faster? and by how much.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

It may be easier for you to provide the budget and for us to build a rig that best fits that budget...

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

budget: ~$950

purpose: some gaming, general surfing, streaming hd videos, ms office stuff, video chatting, light programming and photoshop, many of these things at the same time

NOTE: I want a 120gb ssd in this build

Part Preferences: NONE

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboard, mouse - I do need os, it's part of the budget

ocing: yes, but moderately (want cm hyper 212+ for cooler)

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
The FX 8350 is good enough for all those. You can't go wrong with either CPU. Me personally, I preffer AMD because of the upgrade path. Don't be fooled, the FX 8350 is more than enough for gaming on a 60Hz monitor. Most people turn on VSync anyways, it's better just to invest in a GPU. I can run most games on max and high settings on my old Phenom II x4 840 and HD 7870 no overclocks, and depending on what new title I'm playing, I can usually maintain 60FPS except in games that are as demanding as crysis 3. From what I hear a FX 8350 chomps right threw that game. Anyone who says you need an i5 or i7 for best performance for gaming is a idiot. They're good, but you have to be willing to pay more, if you live by a microcenter, heck, jump on it!

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Price isn't a consideration though because they cost the same. I can't upgrade the gpu by going with either one. I know both are good enough, but which one is better. as of now, the fx 8350 is $193 and the i5 3570k is $196. The asrock extreme4 970 is $99.99 and the asrock z77 extreme 3 is $102

stuffandthings

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Ill just make a few changes to this. Ill buy the hyper 212 plus instead, get the asrock 970 extreme 4 mobo, get the 830 series ssd, get the haf 912 instead, and buy windows 8 with the star dock thing which makes it a faster version of windows 7

Also does am3+ natively support ddr3 1866 or would i have to oc manually