Rate my Gaming PC!!!

NOTE: I realized that I messed up in my original post and put 3x GPU's rather than 2x. I wasn't planning to triple SLI, but rather, to SLI 2x 670's. I'm wanting to get a 780 instead if I am able to.

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150

Processor:Intel Core i5-4670k (I am seriously considering investing the extra $100 to get the i7-4770k for the sake of really future-proofing my build. I think that the deciding factor is going to be whether or not my brother buys my 670 or not. If he does, I'll get a 780 and an i7 processor, if not, I'll probably just stick with the i5 and buy a 2nd 670.

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) (Black)

Graphics Card: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate
(I'm trying to convince my older brother to buy the 1 670 that I have so that I can purchase a single GTX 780 3GB graphics card to use in place of the 670's.)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD - HAVE

HDD/SSD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB /SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker
17 answers Last reply
More about rate gaming
  1. Quite nice, but change the cpu for a 4670K or 4770K.
  2. @OA - Please don't take RobCrezz's post too seriously.

    Core i5 4670k has no difference from your CPU. They both are one, just the one said by him has unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
    i7 4770K is not a gaming PC. It is total waste if you buy it for gaming, you won't get as good results as you would from an i5.

    Have you already built the system? If yes, then I would give it 8.5 / 10.

    If not, you should buy two GTX 770 and put them in two way SLI. That would give you better performance and is quite new too. Should fulfil your requirements easily.

    Also, rest of the things are good enough. If you are overclocking go for the 'K' version, otherwise this one is better. :)
  3. Sadly I've already purchased (and opened/used) my gtx 670. If it wasn't for that, I would be buying 770's instead. I may try to sell my 670 to my older brother and get 770's but it remains to be seen whether or not he'd go for it. I'll probably go with the i5-4670k as per your suggestion.
  4. Triple-SLIs (and, in fact, all attempts to use in excess of 2 GPUs) are rather broken, at current. Mixed results have been reported, but I would advise against using one, honestly, particularly when a single 780 or dual 770s are within your reach. Heck, if you made some cuts, you could probably fit dual 780s in, if you for some reason needed them.

    Edit: Ah. So you only have one of the 670s, at the moment? That being the case, I would recommend selling it, and adding a 780. It's more than enough for the moment (unless you play on three monitors, in which case it should still be around enough, but not ludicrous overkill), and gives room for an SLI down the road.

    Edit 2, Edit Harder: I also wouldn't recommend the H100. The Noctua DH14 is superior for cooling, and runs quieter. If you're set on a closed-loop, the NZXT Kraken outperforms the H100 for cooling on "Silent" mode, though it costs slightly more.
  5. luckiest charm said:
    @OA - Please don't take RobCrezz's post too seriously.

    Core i5 4670k has no difference from your CPU. They both are one, just the one said by him has unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
    i7 4770K is not a gaming PC. It is total waste if you buy it for gaming, you won't get as good results as you would from an i5.

    Have you already built the system? If yes, then I would give it 8.5 / 10.

    If not, you should buy two GTX 770 and put them in two way SLI. That would give you better performance and is quite new too. Should fulfil your requirements easily.

    Also, rest of the things are good enough. If you are overclocking go for the 'K' version, otherwise this one is better. :)


    Anonymous said:
    Sadly I've already purchased (and opened/used) my gtx 670. If it wasn't for that, I would be buying 770's instead. I may try to sell my 670 to my older brother and get 770's but it remains to be seen whether or not he'd go for it. I'll probably go with the i5-4670k as per your suggestion.


    @OP

    Dont take "Luckiest Charm"s post too seriously.

    I suggested the "K" CPUs as you have a Z87 board and a high end closed loop cooler which would go well with a K cpu with overclocking ability, otherwise the H100 cooler is not needed. Plus if you are doing 3 way SLI you will want all the CPU performance you can get to match your high end GPU performance.
  6. RobCrezz said:
    luckiest charm said:
    @OA - Please don't take RobCrezz's post too seriously.

    Core i5 4670k has no difference from your CPU. They both are one, just the one said by him has unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
    i7 4770K is not a gaming PC. It is total waste if you buy it for gaming, you won't get as good results as you would from an i5.

    Have you already built the system? If yes, then I would give it 8.5 / 10.

    If not, you should buy two GTX 770 and put them in two way SLI. That would give you better performance and is quite new too. Should fulfil your requirements easily.

    Also, rest of the things are good enough. If you are overclocking go for the 'K' version, otherwise this one is better. :)


    Anonymous said:
    Sadly I've already purchased (and opened/used) my gtx 670. If it wasn't for that, I would be buying 770's instead. I may try to sell my 670 to my older brother and get 770's but it remains to be seen whether or not he'd go for it. I'll probably go with the i5-4670k as per your suggestion.


    @OP

    Dont take "Luckiest Charm"s post too seriously.

    I suggested the "K" CPUs as you have a Z87 board and a high end closed loop cooler which would go well with a K cpu with overclocking ability, otherwise the H100 cooler is not needed. Plus if you are doing 3 way SLI you will want all the CPU performance you can get to match your high end GPU performance.


    Let's keep this polite, gents.

    He was mostly referring to your recommendation of the i7, from what I can see (I agree with him in the regard, incidentally). We also shouldn't really be advising tri-SLIs, particularly when equal results can be achieved with two-way SLIs.
  7. Jack Revenant said:
    RobCrezz said:
    luckiest charm said:
    @OA - Please don't take RobCrezz's post too seriously.

    Core i5 4670k has no difference from your CPU. They both are one, just the one said by him has unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
    i7 4770K is not a gaming PC. It is total waste if you buy it for gaming, you won't get as good results as you would from an i5.

    Have you already built the system? If yes, then I would give it 8.5 / 10.

    If not, you should buy two GTX 770 and put them in two way SLI. That would give you better performance and is quite new too. Should fulfil your requirements easily.

    Also, rest of the things are good enough. If you are overclocking go for the 'K' version, otherwise this one is better. :)


    Anonymous said:
    Sadly I've already purchased (and opened/used) my gtx 670. If it wasn't for that, I would be buying 770's instead. I may try to sell my 670 to my older brother and get 770's but it remains to be seen whether or not he'd go for it. I'll probably go with the i5-4670k as per your suggestion.


    @OP

    Dont take "Luckiest Charm"s post too seriously.

    I suggested the "K" CPUs as you have a Z87 board and a high end closed loop cooler which would go well with a K cpu with overclocking ability, otherwise the H100 cooler is not needed. Plus if you are doing 3 way SLI you will want all the CPU performance you can get to match your high end GPU performance.


    Let's keep this polite, gents.

    He was mostly referring to your recommendation of the i7, from what I can see (I agree with him in the regard, incidentally). We also shouldn't really be advising tri-SLIs, particularly when equal results can be achieved with two-way SLIs.



    Meh.. I didnt recommend the i7 over the i5, I simply offered the suggestion of either of the socket 1150 "K" CPUs.

    I think it makes sense to use a K CPU, otherwise it seems overkill having that expensive CPU cooler, and a mild overclock is quite a lot of extra performance for very little extra money.
  8. RobCrezz said:
    Jack Revenant said:
    RobCrezz said:
    luckiest charm said:
    @OA - Please don't take RobCrezz's post too seriously.

    Core i5 4670k has no difference from your CPU. They both are one, just the one said by him has unlocked multiplier for overclocking.
    i7 4770K is not a gaming PC. It is total waste if you buy it for gaming, you won't get as good results as you would from an i5.

    Have you already built the system? If yes, then I would give it 8.5 / 10.

    If not, you should buy two GTX 770 and put them in two way SLI. That would give you better performance and is quite new too. Should fulfil your requirements easily.

    Also, rest of the things are good enough. If you are overclocking go for the 'K' version, otherwise this one is better. :)


    Anonymous said:
    Sadly I've already purchased (and opened/used) my gtx 670. If it wasn't for that, I would be buying 770's instead. I may try to sell my 670 to my older brother and get 770's but it remains to be seen whether or not he'd go for it. I'll probably go with the i5-4670k as per your suggestion.


    @OP

    Dont take "Luckiest Charm"s post too seriously.

    I suggested the "K" CPUs as you have a Z87 board and a high end closed loop cooler which would go well with a K cpu with overclocking ability, otherwise the H100 cooler is not needed. Plus if you are doing 3 way SLI you will want all the CPU performance you can get to match your high end GPU performance.


    Let's keep this polite, gents.

    He was mostly referring to your recommendation of the i7, from what I can see (I agree with him in the regard, incidentally). We also shouldn't really be advising tri-SLIs, particularly when equal results can be achieved with two-way SLIs.



    Meh.. I didnt recommend the i7 over the i5, I simply offered the suggestion of either of the socket 1150 "K" CPUs.

    I think it makes sense to use a K CPU, otherwise it seems overkill having that expensive CPU cooler, and a mild overclock is quite a lot of extra performance for very little extra money.




    We are all in agreement that a -k processor would be a sensible addition to this build, as it presently stands. If OP doesn't want to overclock, there are several things which I would advocate altering, such as dropping the CPU cooler and going to an H87 board.

    I am utterly neutral on overclocking, myself. I feel that it can give a pretty sizable performance boost, but that you can just as validly invest the money you'd spend on getting OC-friendly components elsewhere to boost performance.
  9. Yeah a K processor would be better in all cases if he is planning to overclock or will be planning in future. But there are some people who are too scared to deal with increasing voltages, multipliers, and some are who just don't want to get in all this ..

    They don't want to overclock because the word 'over' makes them think they are forcing their components to run faster than their advised speed (in which they are right to an extent) and that might cause harm.

    Also, I was referring to your i7 recommendation as said by Jack, I am perfectly fine with i5 and in fact I support you suggesting processor with unlocked multiplier .. just in case he would feel the need to overclock.

    Last but not the least, I'm female.
  10. luckiest charm said:
    Yeah a K processor would be better in all cases if he is planning to overclock or will be planning in future. But there are some people who are too scared to deal with increasing voltages, multipliers, and some are who just don't want to get in all this ..

    They don't want to overclock because the word 'over' makes them think they are forcing their components to run faster than their advised speed (in which they are right to an extent) and that might cause harm.

    Also, I was referring to your i7 recommendation as said by Jack, I am perfectly fine with i5 and in fact I support you suggesting processor with unlocked multiplier .. just in case he would feel the need to overclock.

    Last but not the least, I'm female.


    I stand by the i7 option also. If you can afford it, it will be better in the long run. Some games are already benefiting from Hyperthreading and 8 threads, more will do as time goes on.
  11. You are wrong here. No games ever benefit from hyperthreading. SOME games benefit from 8 logical cores, not 4 logical and 4 virtual. Here the virtual cores would be waste and you are not going to see any sort of performance increase with an i7.

    It is total foolishness going for i7 if you are into gaming.
  12. luckiest charm said:
    You are wrong here. No games ever benefit from hyperthreading. SOME games benefit from 8 logical cores, not 4 logical and 4 virtual. Here the virtual cores would be waste and you are not going to see any sort of performance increase with an i7.

    It is total foolishness going for i7 if you are into gaming.


    I know how Hyperthreading works, thanks.

    In Crysis 3 Hyperthreading improves performance when its turned on.
    http://maldotex.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/hyperthreading-and-real-custom-graphics.html
  13. (So, if you have a cpu with HT, activate it to play Crysis 3 because this is one of the "first" games that makes it worth having a i7.)

    Fair enough ... That clarifies stuff ...
  14. luckiest charm said:
    (So, if you have a cpu with HT, activate it to play Crysis 3 because this is one of the "first" games that makes it worth having a i7.)

    Fair enough ... That clarifies stuff ...


    Yup. I agree that for the most part its not needed in games, but I can see that going forward other games may benefit from HT also.

    Ill still be sticking with my 2500k for a good while yet though :)
  15. Maybe future games are going to make use of HT. Crysis 3 started HT revolution in games, that should be forwarded.

    I am also not changing my processor (same as your) any time soon .. it still gives me solid performance. :)
  16. luckiest charm said:

    Last but not the least, I'm female.


    My apologies. It's usually a safe bet that folks around here are male, but I definitely shouldn't assume.

    For what it's worth, I doubt that HT will become a big thing, at least in the near future, and this is speaking as someone who has an i7. It'd be nice if it did, but I'm not expecting it. It'll likely stay with PhysX in the "Oh, hey, this game has [thing my system can do] as an option! Nice!", rather than a commonplace element.
  17. stick with amd you cant go wrong great for gaming/ ;-)
Ask a new question

Read More

hi can anyone tell me if my new gaming pc is any good thanks.