Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Motherboard for overclocking 3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 2:43:02 PM

What would be the better motherboard for overclocking the i5 3570k? Here are the two that I'm considering Asrock Z77 Pro3, Biostar TZ77A Z77. I'm planning on overclock it to 4.5ghz, and I'm going to use the h110 to cool it. Preferably, I want to use the cheaper one, but it says it only supports 95w max TDP, and when I used a PSU calculator it had an "overclock my CPU" feature, which when I overclocked, it to 4.5ghz it said the requirement was 102w so I don't think I'll be able to use the cheaper one, though again, I do prefer it. I have tried finding the TDP for the pro3, but with no success.
a c 129 K Overclocking
a c 171 V Motherboard
a c 202 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 2:47:38 PM

I reeeeeaaaally would not suggest OCing on such a low cost board, neither is really meant for an OC above 4.2GHz, and even that I would not do on a low cost board.

The cheapest OCing board I would suggest is the Z77 Asrock Extreme 4.

EDIT : Those boards are cheap for a reason. Keep that in mind.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 145 V Motherboard
a c 128 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 2:48:52 PM

Are you asking for a motherboard option or asking for someone to choose between your two choices?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 2:52:41 PM

Novuake said:

The cheapest OCing board I would suggest is the Z77 Asrock Extreme 4.


This is a good choice. Alternatives would be the MSI Z77A-G45, Asus P8Z77-V LK, or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:00:03 PM

Essentially I want to get the cheapest motherboard I can get with a TDP high enough to overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5ghz, and supports 3 or more slots of RAM, I don't want to be spending large amounts of money on a motherboard, because I'm getting a new GPU (7870).
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 145 V Motherboard
a c 128 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:11:59 PM

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H.
m
0
l
a c 129 K Overclocking
a c 171 V Motherboard
a c 202 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:12:07 PM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
Essentially I want to get the cheapest motherboard I can get with a TDP high enough to overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5ghz, and supports 3 or more slots of RAM, I don't want to be spending large amounts of money on a motherboard, because I'm getting a new GPU (7870).


TDP has nothing to do with it. All Z77 boards support a OCd 3570K /3770K. However, reaching 4.5GHz on Ivy is no joke and doing it on either of those board(lower quality VRMs for example) will probably cause the board to give out on you.

Take our advice. TRUST us... We can not help you if you won't let us...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:43:52 PM

Novuake said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
Essentially I want to get the cheapest motherboard I can get with a TDP high enough to overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5ghz, and supports 3 or more slots of RAM, I don't want to be spending large amounts of money on a motherboard, because I'm getting a new GPU (7870).


TDP has nothing to do with it. All Z77 boards support a OCd 3570K /3770K. However, reaching 4.5GHz on Ivy is no joke and doing it on either of those board(lower quality VRMs for example) will probably cause the board to give out on you.

Take our advice. TRUST us... We can not help you if you won't let us...


You don't think I trust you, wow if I didn't trust the people on here by the time I get my CPU it'd dead within the hour. So Ksham suggested the GD-Z77X-D3H, I assume the TDP (am I right to believe that it is the maximum power output?) reaches and or exceeds 104w?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:50:07 PM

Jonathan Sifleet said:

You don't think I trust you, wow if I didn't trust the people on here by the time I get my CPU it'd dead within the hour. So Ksham suggested the GD-Z77X-D3H, I assume the TDP (am I right to believe that it is the maximum power output?) reaches and or exceeds 104w?


Any of the 4 are good choices. There is no reason why you should be anywhere near the TDP of the VRM or CPU with an overclock of 4.5GHz so disregard variable.

In fact, your chip will likely be fried well before you ever fathom reaching the TDP limits :) 
m
0
l
a c 81 K Overclocking
a c 99 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:50:44 PM

IIRC, Z77 mobos don't have a specific max TDP (not 100% on this, someone else can interject). What you want to look at in regards to overclocking is the power phases--the more the better.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 145 V Motherboard
a c 128 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:50:49 PM

No; the motherboard will not use near that much power.
m
0
l
a c 129 K Overclocking
a c 171 V Motherboard
a c 202 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 3:53:29 PM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
Novuake said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
Essentially I want to get the cheapest motherboard I can get with a TDP high enough to overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5ghz, and supports 3 or more slots of RAM, I don't want to be spending large amounts of money on a motherboard, because I'm getting a new GPU (7870).


TDP has nothing to do with it. All Z77 boards support a OCd 3570K /3770K. However, reaching 4.5GHz on Ivy is no joke and doing it on either of those board(lower quality VRMs for example) will probably cause the board to give out on you.

Take our advice. TRUST us... We can not help you if you won't let us...


You don't think I trust you, wow if I didn't trust the people on here by the time I get my CPU it'd dead within the hour. So Ksham suggested the GD-Z77X-D3H, I assume the TDP (am I right to believe that it is the maximum power output?) reaches and or exceeds 104w?


Ignore TDP, its about component QUALITY and STABILITY when OCing.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:23:41 PM

I guess the power requirement, thing lied to me. So, slomo4sho reccomended 4 boards, Ksham recommended a board, Novuake said that the cheapest I could get away with is a extreme 4, I'm thinking I might have to go for the extreme 4, but one of the boards slomo4sho reccomended was the MSI Z77A-G45, would I be able to get away with it?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 145 V Motherboard
a c 128 à CPUs
June 6, 2013 11:31:28 PM

Technically it didn't lie to you. You misread it. Motherboards do use power, but it is not in direct relation to the CPU. The motherboards suggested are all good ones. I suggested one that is not far from the ones you originally posted in terms of pricing. I was not sure of your budget. Pick the board that appeals to you the most.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 12:27:18 AM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
I guess the power requirement, thing lied to me. So, slomo4sho reccomended 4 boards, Ksham recommended a board, Novuake said that the cheapest I could get away with is a extreme 4, I'm thinking I might have to go for the extreme 4, but one of the boards slomo4sho reccomended was the MSI Z77A-G45, would I be able to get away with it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bri...





In terms of overclocking potential, there isn't much difference between either of the boards.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 2:23:48 AM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
I assume you're talking about MSI Z77A-G45 not the thunderbolt version?


I was referring to the standard G45. They are the same board except one has thunderbolt support (at a price premium).
Share
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 5:12:57 AM

According to me
U can choose anyone between these mobos.
1. ASUS P8Z77-V LX
2. GIGABYTE Z77X- D3H
These 2 mobos r best for price for OCing.
Thank you.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 10:37:49 AM

Thank you all guys, going to have to give this one to slomo4sho, was a hard decision.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 4:09:57 PM

So which board did you choose?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 5:04:43 PM

slomo4sho said:
So which board did you choose?


The G45, not the thuderbolt or whatever it was called, just the normal one.
m
0
l
!