7870 requires two slots?

lovepurple

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I am planning to get a gigabyte 7870 radeon gpu but I noticed people said it took two slots. When I looked at it, the card has only part of the card sticking out. Does it mean it moves in one PCI slot but its too large and takes over more space for another slot or does it actually need two PCI slots to slide in?

Solution

Whenever something is described as taking two slots, they mean two slots on the case in that it's a thicker GPU. If you look at the back of your case, there are probably 5 or 6 or 7 little covered horizontal slots in which you pop out or unscrew and remove to make a hole for the connectors of cards you add. Two slot GPU simply means that it'll use two of those space (and it'll have two lines of connectors).

L Helps

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

It takes two slots in your case not in the mobo.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Whenever something is described as taking two slots, they mean two slots on the case in that it's a thicker GPU. If you look at the back of your case, there are probably 5 or 6 or 7 little covered horizontal slots in which you pop out or unscrew and remove to make a hole for the connectors of cards you add. Two slot GPU simply means that it'll use two of those space (and it'll have two lines of connectors).

Solution

lovepurple

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Thank you sir, I was getting really worried when I found out it needed it two slots.