Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New PC Build Wont POST

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 7, 2013 1:28:01 PM

Hello,

After weeks of reading research and troubleshooting, I have finally reached my wits end and am now throwing myself at the mercy of this boards users. Basically, I decided that I was going to buy components for and build a PC for the first time. I built it after collecting all of the parts over a month and now cant get it to POST or even beep for that matter. I have tried everything from stripping everything down and rebuilding it to booting it outside of the case with just the PSU CPU and system speaker plugged in and I achieved the same result. The only signs of life it will give is it will illuminate a USB stick (when plugged in) with an LED on it for a split second and the fan on the PSU will twitch when powering. I have already replaced most of the components thinking they were the issue. My specs are below with an asterisk next to the components I have already replaced. I am really hoping it isnt the CPU but that seems to be the only logical next step. Please tell me Im doing something wrong!

By the way, as part of the troubleshooting, I followed every step listed in this post to no avail.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

CPU: AMD FX 8350
RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) PNY MD8192KD3-1333
*GPU: GEFORCE GTX 650Ti
*PSU: Corsair 700 Watt PSU - GS700
HDD: Western Digital 1TB - WD10exex
SSD: Samsung 120GB - MZ-7TD120
*Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3

More about : build wont post

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:35:24 PM

You may have already tried it, and I think you would be getting some sort of response from it even if it was the issue, but your MOBO supports dual channel RAM and you are using 3 sticks, something to address after the initial trouble shooting. So nothing happens when you flip the power switch, even when doing an external build?
a c 555 V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:35:24 PM

The CPU fan should spin when starting the board, so I guess there's something wrong with the 8 pin power connector or the CPU cooler or the way the CPU coooler is connected to the CPU fan header.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:36:49 PM

Hmm, not sure if it is just not listed or not, but your CPU does not show up on the supported list for that MOBO, the highest FX model I see is the 8300.
June 7, 2013 1:41:28 PM

Is there any output to the monitor? If nothing happens and there are no beeps, maybe everything is fine other than the graphics card or the monitor.

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:43:38 PM

Find out the current BIOS revision of your MOBO, you may need to upgrade the BIOS to get the 8350 to work.
June 7, 2013 1:54:17 PM

chugot9218 said:
Find out the current BIOS revision of your MOBO, you may need to upgrade the BIOS to get the 8350 to work.


Thanks for the suggestion. Their website lists all MoBos that support the CPU and apparently this does as long as it is revision 1.4 or 3.0:

GA-970A-D3 (rev. 1.4)
GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0)

Im on the phone with them right now to find if mine shipped with one of the above.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 1:55:03 PM

Right-o, I would guess that is your issue, if it can't see the CPU it can't do much! Let us know what you find out!
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 2:03:21 PM

According to what leo there posted, you might be SOL on that board, I am not sure myself whether the revision refers to the BIOS or a new "form" for the board, but from what he said, it sounds like it's basically a new model of the board. If that is the case you need a newer board.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 2:09:53 PM

Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 2:12:12 PM

Also, the Gigabyte page confuses me, it only lists one BIOS version on the CPU compatibility page for that revision of the MOBO, but at the top of the spec page it also says this: To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section. Confusing, no? Perhaps someone else or Gigabyte can shed light on it.
June 7, 2013 2:21:47 PM

chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.
June 7, 2013 2:22:44 PM

chugot9218 said:
Also, the Gigabyte page confuses me, it only lists one BIOS version on the CPU compatibility page for that revision of the MOBO, but at the top of the spec page it also says this: To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section. Confusing, no? Perhaps someone else or Gigabyte can shed light on it.


It is quite confusing. I wish I could get a hold of someone there. So frustrating!
June 7, 2013 2:24:45 PM

chugot9218 said:
Also, the Gigabyte page confuses me, it only lists one BIOS version on the CPU compatibility page for that revision of the MOBO, but at the top of the spec page it also says this: To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section. Confusing, no? Perhaps someone else or Gigabyte can shed light on it.


Probably just means that the various revisions come with revised bioses as standard. If you have an old bios, then upgrade it to enable the required support.
June 7, 2013 2:27:29 PM

andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example
June 7, 2013 2:28:02 PM

badger578 said:
chugot9218 said:
Also, the Gigabyte page confuses me, it only lists one BIOS version on the CPU compatibility page for that revision of the MOBO, but at the top of the spec page it also says this: To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section. Confusing, no? Perhaps someone else or Gigabyte can shed light on it.


Probably just means that the various revisions come with revised bioses as standard. If you have an old bios, then upgrade it to enable the required support.


So I found that there are 3 bios versions listed for this mobo.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

So here is my quite possibly newbie question, is there a way to update the bios when it (for obvious reasons) cant start?
June 7, 2013 2:30:01 PM

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 2:31:06 PM

Haha, that's always the magic question, and usually it isn't the most exciting answer. You either have to find a compatible CPU to install, flash, and then you can reinstall your CPU, or, some MOBO's support flashing the BIOS through a USB flash drive, I don't think that one supports it. You could maybe get a BIOS chip to install but that may be more trouble than just returning the MOBO for a new one.
June 7, 2013 2:33:44 PM

andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.

You say that you replaced a bunch of stuff, specifically the motherboard. What have you not replaced?
June 7, 2013 2:43:54 PM

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.

You say that you replaced a bunch of stuff, specifically the motherboard. What have you not replaced?


I have not replaced the CPU. I replaced the mobo with the same model, I tried two different PSU's and two different GPU's.

Just found this interesting too. Although Chugot found the confusing statement on their website, look at the right-most column on this table. It says the CPU has been compatible since its first Bios.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...
June 7, 2013 2:55:11 PM

andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.

You say that you replaced a bunch of stuff, specifically the motherboard. What have you not replaced?


I have not replaced the CPU. I replaced the mobo with the same model, I tried two different PSU's and two different GPU's.

Just found this interesting too. Although Chugot found the confusing statement on their website, look at the right-most column on this table. It says it has been compatible since its first Bios.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. The very first thing that you did was to research compatibility, I bet; I never thought that compatibility was the issue.
You need to confirm as much of your hardware as possible on other machines, and it sounds like you have done that at least to a certain degree.
From the evidence, it looks like the cpu is the problem, it may be fucked, but you should also check the memory. I assume that your motherboard will allow a single memory module to be installed. If so, then you can try each of your modules independently. Obviously we don't expect them all to be knackered, so if none of them work, then it's most likely the cpu.
June 7, 2013 3:05:30 PM

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.

You say that you replaced a bunch of stuff, specifically the motherboard. What have you not replaced?


I have not replaced the CPU. I replaced the mobo with the same model, I tried two different PSU's and two different GPU's.

Just found this interesting too. Although Chugot found the confusing statement on their website, look at the right-most column on this table. It says it has been compatible since its first Bios.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. The very first thing that you did was to research compatibility, I bet; I never thought that compatibility was the issue.
You need to confirm as much of your hardware as possible on other machines, and it sounds like you have done that at least to a certain degree.
From the evidence, it looks like the cpu is the problem, it may be fucked, but you should also check the memory. I assume that your motherboard will allow a single memory module to be installed. If so, then you can try each of your modules independently. Obviously we don't expect them all to be knackered, so if none of them work, then it's most likely the cpu.


That was my biggest fear seeing as it was the most expensive component of the build. I was really hoping I just overlooked something simple and stupid. I think I will end up buying the same CPU and try it with the same build just because I now HAVE to find out what the issue is rather than going with something different. OCD or determination I dont know but thanks guys, for your input and I will update the post if it works or doesnt work.
June 7, 2013 3:15:28 PM

andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:
chugot9218 said:
Have you taken the CPU out and examined the pins/contacts?


Yes, none of the pins are bent or misshapen.

badger578 said:
andrews1469 said:


Yep, it reads "rev 3.0" right on the board and this is my second one.


Do you get any output to the monitor?


No output at all. It will not POST to get to that point.


Well it might post, but if the graphics card does not output, then you won't know. The same would be true if the monitor isn't working.
Why don't you try to force the board to give warning beeps? Remove all the memory, for example


Very true but I did try that with just the PSU, CPU and HS plugged in. No beeps at all. The fan jerks a little when I touch the power pins together with a screwdriver but that is about it. Plus, I installed the GPU in my old PC and it works and Im using the same monitor Im using now with my old PC.

You say that you replaced a bunch of stuff, specifically the motherboard. What have you not replaced?


I have not replaced the CPU. I replaced the mobo with the same model, I tried two different PSU's and two different GPU's.

Just found this interesting too. Although Chugot found the confusing statement on their website, look at the right-most column on this table. It says it has been compatible since its first Bios.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. The very first thing that you did was to research compatibility, I bet; I never thought that compatibility was the issue.
You need to confirm as much of your hardware as possible on other machines, and it sounds like you have done that at least to a certain degree.
From the evidence, it looks like the cpu is the problem, it may be fucked, but you should also check the memory. I assume that your motherboard will allow a single memory module to be installed. If so, then you can try each of your modules independently. Obviously we don't expect them all to be knackered, so if none of them work, then it's most likely the cpu.


That was my biggest fear seeing as it was the most expensive component of the build. I was really hoping I just overlooked something simple and stupid. I think I will end up buying the same CPU and try it with the same build just because I now HAVE to find out what the issue is rather than going with something different. OCD or determination I dont know but thanks guys, for your input and I will update the post if it works or doesnt work.

Can you not get a warranty replacement?
I mean you've just convinced me that the cpu is the problem. Can't you use the same argument with the cpu supplier?
If you want any help in making that argument, just ask - although I am on holiday next week with no internet access, so it will have to be the week after.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2013 3:47:46 PM

This thread has taken quotes way to far, lol. The AMD retail box CPU models come with a 3 year warranty and the OEMs come with a 90day warranty. Of course you don't how old it is. The good news is that model is very new. You should contact the vendor and tell them the CPU was DOA (dead on Arrival). Most will swap it out with a new for you right away. They will want it back in the box with all it came with just like you got it.
June 7, 2013 3:56:26 PM

littleleo said:
This thread has taken quotes way to far, lol. The AMD retail box CPU models come with a 3 year warranty and the OEMs come with a 90day warranty. Of course you don't how old it is. The good news is that model is very new. You should contact the vendor and tell them the CPU was DOA (dead on Arrival). Most will swap it out with a new for you right away. They will want it back in the box with all it came with just like you got it.

Yeah, but you have to establish the facts. Otherwise the OEM vendors will tell you to piss off.
June 11, 2013 10:30:20 AM

I am trying to return it to the vendor that sold it to me and just purchase a new one because I assumed that would be the quickest way to get to my end result. At any rate, they are pushing back so I guess I am going through AMD.
!