Do 970 Motherboards bottleneck 8 cores?

ChrisfromMichigan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building my own computer, first time in almost 7 years :)

I've been doing a bit of research and I went to the local MicroCenter today since they seem to have a pretty nice CPU/Motherboard deal going on.

My plan was to pick up an AMD FX-8350 and an MSI 970A-G46. However, the representative I was talking to told me that the 970 series wasn't built for 8 cores and tends to bottleneck the cpu at 4 cores; ie, I should upgrade to a 990 series board.

I haven't come across any sources verifying him through google, so I'm thinking he was just trying to up-sell. Just wanted to check-in in case anyone has knowledge/experience on the matter.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

ChrisfromMichigan

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, I had a feeling so. I've worked in sales and I knew he was commissioned but comeon man. I literally walked in there saying that I'm ready to buy $500 of shit if you can help me find it.... and he just wouldn't take a good deal.

Kept trying to up-sell on literally everything till my total was significantly higher, and then he said something like this which made no sense and made me doubt every other recommendation he'd made. Either way though, I'm glad you helped me get to the bottom of this mystery Mousey.

Take care.