Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Custom PC system advice Ivy Vs Haswell

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 8, 2013 7:57:56 AM

I'am going to be buying a Custom Gaming/Editing PC in the next couple of weeks and i need help deciding which Intel Archeitecture to get.

I have created two different setups on the website that i want to buy it from
(DinoPC.com) that are virtual identical apart from the CPU and the Motherboard

Z77 Ivy Bridge Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-HD3
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
PSU: 650W Corsair VS

Price: £845.20

Z87 Haswell Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
PSU: 650W Corsair VS

Price:£865.80

First of all is this build any good and if it isnt can you make any sugestions? Second of all which one should i get in terms of Archeitecture?
and Lastly if there is any changes needed my budget is £900 and i really cant go over that.
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 8:24:34 AM

If you want to overclock, go for Ivy Bridge. If not, go for Haswell.

For that you need to buy the "i5 3570K" CPU. Haswell does not overclock properly otherwise both are identical with Haswell being about 5 - 10% faster. And if you are not going to overclock on Haswell, drop the Z87 Motherboard. Its total waste for you then, its for overclocking. Get H87 chipset as it is cheaper and won't support OC along with your CPU. If you are going to overclock Haswell then buy i5 4670K and keep Z87 board.

Also there is a reason to go for Haswell as if in future you would like to upgrade CPU to Intel 5th Gen, you should be able to do so as probably socket would stay same as for 4th Gen.

All in all, I would say go for Haswell. For $20 more you are getting a better deal without all that hassle of overclocking and performance matching, etc. You would also be more future proof and once you would drop Z87 chipset, the cost would be $20 less than Ivy Bridge (total $40 less).

It is certainly a better deal.

Also, I have a problem with your hard drive. How is it 6 Gb/s? That is the speed of SSD which means you are buying a 1 TB SSD. I won't recommend it in any case.

Go for 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and buy a 240 GB SSD to keep windows on. That should keep things good and would lower the costs too. :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2013 8:38:26 AM

luckiest charm said:
If you want to overclock, go for Ivy Bridge. If not, go for Haswell.

For that you need to buy the "i5 3570K" CPU. Haswell does not overclock properly otherwise both are identical with Haswell being about 5 - 10% faster. And if you are not going to overclock on Haswell, drop the Z87 Motherboard. Its total waste for you then, its for overclocking. Get H87 chipset as it is cheaper and won't support OC along with your CPU. If you are going to overclock Haswell then buy i5 4670K and keep Z87 board.

Also there is a reason to go for Haswell as if in future you would like to upgrade CPU to Intel 5th Gen, you should be able to do so as probably socket would stay same as for 4th Gen.

All in all, I would say go for Haswell. For $20 more you are getting a better deal without all that hassle of overclocking and performance matching, etc. You would also be more future proof and once you would drop Z87 chipset, the cost would be $20 less than Ivy Bridge (total $40 less).

It is certainly a better deal.

Also, I have a problem with your hard drive. How is it 6 Gb/s? That is the speed of SSD which means you are buying a 1 TB SSD. I won't recommend it in any case.

Go for 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and buy a 240 GB SSD to keep windows on. That should keep things good and would lower the costs too. :) 


Haha they make HDDs with sata 3 6GB/s connectors. They don't go that speed but they make them. To build a pc with a 1tb SSD it would take more than his whole budget.
Back to the pc I would go Haswell since you aren't overclocking and the price isn't that much different.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2013 8:51:31 AM

Oh and here in the us the 770 is only about $50 more than the 670. Maybe downgrade your case and ram to fit that in your budget? It is quite a bit more powerful. I would try to set up a build but I have a hard time getting to non US websites on my phone
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 8:51:54 AM

thdarkshadow said:
luckiest charm said:
If you want to overclock, go for Ivy Bridge. If not, go for Haswell.

For that you need to buy the "i5 3570K" CPU. Haswell does not overclock properly otherwise both are identical with Haswell being about 5 - 10% faster. And if you are not going to overclock on Haswell, drop the Z87 Motherboard. Its total waste for you then, its for overclocking. Get H87 chipset as it is cheaper and won't support OC along with your CPU. If you are going to overclock Haswell then buy i5 4670K and keep Z87 board.

Also there is a reason to go for Haswell as if in future you would like to upgrade CPU to Intel 5th Gen, you should be able to do so as probably socket would stay same as for 4th Gen.

All in all, I would say go for Haswell. For $20 more you are getting a better deal without all that hassle of overclocking and performance matching, etc. You would also be more future proof and once you would drop Z87 chipset, the cost would be $20 less than Ivy Bridge (total $40 less).

It is certainly a better deal.

Also, I have a problem with your hard drive. How is it 6 Gb/s? That is the speed of SSD which means you are buying a 1 TB SSD. I won't recommend it in any case.

Go for 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and buy a 240 GB SSD to keep windows on. That should keep things good and would lower the costs too. :) 


Haha they make HDDs with sata 3 6GB/s connectors. They don't go that speed but they make them. To build a pc with a 1tb SSD it would take more than his whole budget.
Back to the pc I would go Haswell since you aren't overclocking and the price isn't that much different.


Ah yeah .. ! I was worried about that .. Thanks a bunch for clearing that up.
m
0
l
June 8, 2013 8:52:18 AM

Thank you for your replys and suggestions i will probably get a haswell with the h87 chipset then.

one more question though if i may. I have sinced looked at some reviews for DinoPC and some of them make the website seem really dodgy, there is also a Guaridian post on them which points out some worrying facts about the company.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/aug/24/consumeraff...

Can anyone suggest a cheap, reliable place where i can buy these parts and have the system pre-built?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 9:05:21 AM

Where do you live? All in all, if you live in USA, I would recommend Newegg or Amazon.
They are very reliable and famous. Also you won't be getting your PC built but you would have to build it yourself, but don't worry, that is easy as cake.

Go to youtube and open a video on "How to make a computer". There are plenty and build it on your own. :) 
It would give you an experience first of all, secondly you would be getting things from a very reliable website, thirdly you would be full of self satisfaction once your system is built. :) 

I never heard of DinoPC and I won't recommend buying stuff from just any website out there.
m
0
l
June 8, 2013 9:17:41 AM

I live in the UK and im leaning more to building the pc myself ive looked at other websites like Cyber Power and PCspecialist and they seem to be charging at least an extra £150-£200. ive put together a part list with the advice you gave me is this any good.

Ram: 8GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Dual/Quad Channel Kit [F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL]

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail This product is not available at the counter

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H87-HD3 Intel H87 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard

HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - HDD

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Optical Drive: Samsung 224BB 24x DVD Re-Writer - SATA - Black - OEM

PSU: 650W Corsair TX650M 80PLUS Bronze Modular Power Supply

Case:Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit DVD OEM

Total Price: £883.64
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 9:27:19 AM

You can buy stuff on amazon UK too. :) 

Something where its okay to cut out - PSU (Get CX600, Its 130% cheaper)

Rest of the build is very good and I have no complaints. Although you can use saved money to buy a GTX 770 over GTX 670. It is $50 pricier but is about 30% faster. It is GTX 680 factory superclocked and renamed into GTX 770. ;) 

If you are satisfied you might want to pick as solution as it would help others find best rig for similar prices too.
Share
June 8, 2013 9:47:33 AM

luckiest charm said:
You can buy stuff on amazon UK too. :) 

Something where its okay to cut out - PSU (Get CX600, Its 130% cheaper)

Rest of the build is very good and I have no complaints. Although you can use saved money to buy a GTX 770 over GTX 670. It is $50 pricier but is about 30% faster. It is GTX 680 factory superclocked and renamed into GTX 770. ;) 

If you are satisfied you might want to pick as solution as it would help others find best rig for similar prices too.


Thank you for your advice im gonna go with the setup above but with the cx600 psu and a gtx 770 and hopefully build it myself. if i run into any problems ill come back here.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 9:50:46 AM

No problem mate. We are here to guide you and help you out at every turn regarding tech. :) 
m
0
l
June 8, 2013 9:55:47 AM

luckiest charm said:
If you want to overclock, go for Ivy Bridge. If not, go for Haswell.

For that you need to buy the "i5 3570K" CPU. Haswell does not overclock properly otherwise both are identical with Haswell being about 5 - 10% faster. And if you are not going to overclock on Haswell, drop the Z87 Motherboard. Its total waste for you then, its for overclocking. Get H87 chipset as it is cheaper and won't support OC along with your CPU. If you are going to overclock Haswell then buy i5 4670K and keep Z87 board.

Also there is a reason to go for Haswell as if in future you would like to upgrade CPU to Intel 5th Gen, you should be able to do so as probably socket would stay same as for 4th Gen.

All in all, I would say go for Haswell. For $20 more you are getting a better deal without all that hassle of overclocking and performance matching, etc. You would also be more future proof and once you would drop Z87 chipset, the cost would be $20 less than Ivy Bridge (total $40 less).

It is certainly a better deal.

Also, I have a problem with your hard drive. How is it 6 Gb/s? That is the speed of SSD which means you are buying a 1 TB SSD. I won't recommend it in any case.

Go for 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM and buy a 240 GB SSD to keep windows on. That should keep things good and would lower the costs too. :) 


Luckiest,
About the hard drive setup. I was thinking of going with 2 WD VelociRaptors 500GB each 10,000rpm in a raid 0 for performance and a little more reliability. You think going with the SSD 250GB and a 1TB HDD 7200 RPM be a better choice? I heard SSD drives go bad after to much writing. The transistors specifically.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 91 à CPUs
June 8, 2013 10:00:03 AM

In that case 2 500 GB drives would be a better choice but would be slightly expensive. You can sure go in RAID 0 config and that would boost stuff.

But cost and efficiency wise I would go for 1 TB and 250 GB (For OS). No, SSDs don't get bad after use. Dad is using one since 1.5 years and its well and good. :) 

So far no complaints.
m
0
l
!