6950 Crossfire with aftermarket coolers, or upgrade?

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I have been running my 6950 2GB card for a while. I was going to move to a laptop, but I'd be out about $500 doing that to get the same performance and am honestly kind of tight on cash(budget of about $300-400). With my single 6950 I can run most games comfortably at close to ultra(usually just AA turned off) with about 50fps with a aftermarket cooler, but the fans on mine just quit working so I'm back to stock. I just want my computer to last through til the next generation consoles come out, then will probably re-build it in late 2014. My question is, for now, should I just get a second 6950 and slap some aftermarket coolers on and overclock(what I did to run at ultra on one) in crossfire or upgrade to say a later 600 series nvidia card or 7970? I've never had an sli or crossfire setup so I have no idea if there is much of a gain or if it'd be worth it for gaming and 3d modeling(minor modeling, nothing over the top).

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013

"(usually just AA turned off) with about 50fps"
"My question is, for now, should I just get a second 6950 and slap some aftermarket coolers on and overclock(what I did to run at ultra on one) in crossfire"

My one card is starting to fall behind in performance, I can't turn AA on in most games and get many lag spikes. Putting a new cooler on would do nothing but put me right back where I was. I'm looking to get BETTER than I was. Not the same.

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Also, the equivelant cooler is $60+. Doesn't seem worth it to put on a 6950 that WITH the cooler barely gets close to maxing out games(doesn't max have to keep AA, motion blur, and any post effects turned off) when that $60 could go towards a new card or crossfire.

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I guess I'll post elsewhere if the only suggestions I'll get are ones that have already been thought out and were not under question. Thank you for attempting to help though, I am in no way saying it was a bad idea. I probably would have considered it if I hadn't just finished with that route.