Help! 6950 Won't Post, works fine in another Rig, Rig will post without it

diggs747

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I hope someone can help me with this. I just built a new system with a 4770k, GB-Z87-OC, 1000w g1000 PSU (I know its overkill, I bought the psu 2nd hand), and wanted to use my old 6950 radeon toxic 2gb.

--Whats Wrong--
For some reason the 6950 won't post when plugged in, instead the fan speed on it spins at max and a little red light appears on the card. My old 4870x2 works in its place just fine.

--Troubleshooting so far--
Things I've tried so far: I've tried every pcie slot on the card (except for one 4x slot thats obstructed). I've swapped out the PSU with the psu I was using before. I've plugged the 6950 into my old rig (e8500, rampage extreme mobo) and it would post just fine. I've tried different power cords in the 6+4 pin power slot on the card. I've made sure the card is seated properly. Like I said it boots with a 4870x2 or off of the onboard graphics.

----
The only thing I can think of thats wrong is the cards connection with the mobo isn't right somehow, or there is some sort of compatibility problem with the mobo and the card. I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

update the bios on your new motherboard. Also, put the 4870 or run intel gpu to get into bios and force your pcie settings back to gen2 speeds or even gen 1 to see if that helps. it does sound like some sort of clash/incompatibility between the 6950 and your new motherboard. Even raise it to gigabyte support that it doesn't work in their motherboard, they may be unaware of the issue as its hard for a hardware manufacturer to test every possibility of components with their product.

diggs747

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

The only setting in the BIOS I could find to set anything to 1st/2nd/3rd gen was like PEB-something. It didn't work, I've already had a support ticket open with gigabyte but it's the weekend. Even if they identify that it's a compatibility issue, won't I have to wait until they do a new BIOS release before it'll be fixed?

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first