$1400 Gaming PC Build

TheCowman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hello guys, I'm living in Singapore, so my budget is S$2000, and we don't get exactly the same pricing here as in the states. But I'll list my specs and the lowest prices I could find locally:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 S$526
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 PE* S$593
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 8GB (2x4GB) S$88
PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified[ S$99
Storage: Plextor M5 128GB SSD* S$172
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 500R S$188
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X* S$69

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 s$89
Thermal Paste: Artic Silver 5 S$15

TOTAL PRICE: S$1964
Leftover money: S$36

¹ I will buy the 670 unless the 760Ti comes out very soon.
² I will add on a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD later.
³ Hyper 212 Evo isn't available in Singapore, but I think they're the same.

Okay, so I know that these parts are compatible. But I really want to know if this is a good way to go.

Purpose of the build: Gaming and Video editing - The build is obviously more focused on gaming, though. i7 won't fit my budget!

So, I would like to know if there is any parts you guys would personally change, and with the extra S$36 (US$28.60) left over, what should I upgrade/buy additionally?

Solution
personally, for mainly gaming with slight video editing I'd go for the 3570k and related motherboard... eg the Gigabyte z77x ud3h. Save money there to invest in a 770 (if the price translates well?) Although (not certain) you could still do that with the 3770k and related motherboard, and come out on top with your video editing capability.

Out of curiosity (Gathering information) why have you chosen the 4th gen i5?

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
personally, for mainly gaming with slight video editing I'd go for the 3570k and related motherboard... eg the Gigabyte z77x ud3h. Save money there to invest in a 770 (if the price translates well?) Although (not certain) you could still do that with the 3770k and related motherboard, and come out on top with your video editing capability.

Out of curiosity (Gathering information) why have you chosen the 4th gen i5?

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Why would you not? You should always purchase the latest hardware that's available, and on $1400 there's no room for debate on that.

Purpose of the build: Gaming and Video editing - The build is obviously more focused on gaming, though. i7 won't fit my budget!

If you're just editing videos for Youtube, there's no need for an i7. That does not take a lot of processing power. My Galaxy S2 can upload videos to Youtube.

So, I would like to know if there is any parts you guys would personally change, and with the extra S$36 (US$28.60) left over, what should I upgrade/buy additionally?

Do not purchase extra thermal compound, you're throwing money away, and Arctic Silver is very overrated. The stuff that Cooler Master includes is better than the stuff you plan to buy. If you want to put that $50 somewhere, use it toward a mass storage drive.

TheCowman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013

The reason for choosing 4th gen is because apps in the future will be more suited to them. I really like the 3570K, and it was my first choice. But as the 4670K and Z87 Extreme4 was only S$60 more, I decided to go with it. The good thing about 4th gen is that it is more SSD friendly by having 6 ports. On balance, the 3570K can overclock a lot more.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Because depending on how prices translated you might see beter performance gains saving the cpu and getting the best GPU available... , I.e in the UK right now I would be better served with the 3rd gen and bumping my GPU up a model, or even a whole series. 4th gen are EXPENSIVE with a capital EXPENSIVE. Literally the difference for me getting a 670 or a 770.

Fair enough, for what your using it for your probably better off. And get better pricing there. The 3570k to 4670k here is £40-50 almost S$100 difference :p

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh believe me, I definitely know that prices can greatly vary from country to country. $2K in the US, does not equal $2K in the UK, does not equal $2K in South Africa, India, Japan, Norway, Argentina, etc, etc. But say you've got the equivalent of $2K USD, wouldn't you want to spend it on getting the latest hardware available? The GPU can always be upgraded, it's a lot harder to upgrade the motherboard and CPU.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Sometimes, but I dont need the best of everything, I recognise that an Ivy bridge wont have any trouble running GPU upgrades for a while, Nothing short of twin titans starts making it the bottleneck in your system. So why splurge where you wont really use the extra power (In my case)

Personally fairly confident that a 3570k will run games for longer than a gtx 770 will :p

Its all about what you intend the lifespan of the individual parts to be.
I fully expect that by the time I need more power than the 3570k, there will be another gen or two of cpu's out for me to take advantage of.