2133 vs 1600 RAM + Cooling?

AIATimmyJ

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I am going to be building my first PC this summer and just trying to get some of the finer details together. The question is:

I wanted to know differences if any really major in 2133 vs 1600 for RAM. I hear the 2133 is faster but how much?

Also I plan on getting the I7 3770k or 4770k, not sure which exactly yet. But i do not plan to overclock that much, probably to around 4.0Ghz if I do. Don't really know if that is relevant but there it is.

Finally I am planning on getting fans for cooling, mainly because I am new to building a PC and don't want to deal with liquid really yet. Iv read that 2133 RAM gets hot? Will air cooling be good enough? I am looking into the Noctua NH-DH14.

Ultimately I would like to go get 16 GB of ram of 2133 with the Noctua NH-DH14 as my cooler will it work?

Intel has excellent RAM controller and caching. It is marginally faster above 1600MHz. You are better off not going that fast and letting your CPU run cooler and use the heat loading on the core speed which is much more important. I'd recommend a Noctua NH-C14 cooler. It blows the air down on the motherboard cooling your RAM and regulators. Get two 8GB RAM modules and make sure they have no heat spreaders (low profile) That way your CPU cooler can fit no problem.

What do you intend to do with that setup? If its gaming you can save quite a lot of a money by just grabbing 1600 without cooling and an i5 4570k. (1600mhz ram doesn't get hot enough to really need cooling, even heatsinks are more of a fashion statement than a required thing)

AIATimmyJ

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Ok thanks and It should fit, Im getting the nzxt phantom 820

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
At the DRAM freqs you mentioned, shouldn't need any specific extra cooling for DRAM as long as it's good sticks and you have good airflow through your case. The CPU you decide on might play in depending on if you look to higher freqs i.e. the 3770K can generally run up to 2800 and a few higher, the 4770K can generally run up to 3000 and up. In large part freq by itself isn't a determining factor, it's a combination of freq and CL. The freq of the sticks provides more theoretical memory bandwidth as you go up, but high freq with a real high CL can be outperformed by lower freq/tighter CL i.e. a 1600/CL7 set might well outperform 2133/CL11

I normally use 2133/CL9 as a base, so going down 1866/8 is just a bit slower and less bandwidth, then it goes down to 1600/7 being a little less than the 1866/8 however 1600/10 would have a relative large decrease in performance....same goes for going up, from 2133/9, next step up is 2400/10.

For gaming freq can improve things a little, but you can see big gains with with your other apps since they are more memory intensive, CAD, 3d modeling in particular generally use large data sets (as can Photoshop) so most of my clients working in those areas are generally much happeir with faster DRAM and more of it - unless working with those professionally and depending even if doing so as profession 16GB is a good starting point

AIATimmyJ

Honorable
May 22, 2013

It is my profession thanks, and yeah I am just trying to make sure everything will work together without something overheating or rejecting the RAM or vice versa. Thanks for your input!

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Overclocking RAM

When overclocking a system, the user has two options for overclocking RAM. One can overclock system RAM or the RAM built into the graphics card. In both cases, the benchmark tests have shown a slight improvement in speed. For this reason, it must be said that overclocking RAM can increase the performance of a system. However, the ultimate effect of overclocking RAM is relatively minor. A much more important determinate of system speed is the speed of the CPU and a much more important determinate of graphics speed is the speed of the graphics processor. Thus, overclocking RAM will increase the speed of a computer, but only to a minor extent.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8318036_overclocking-memory-make-pc-faster.html

ehow.com

AIATimmyJ

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Iv also read some thing where people are saying the z77 sabertooth, the Motherboard i chose wont run the 2133 ram and sticking with a 1866 may be better since it was made for that standard.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The Sabertooth can run faster 2133 DRAM, have helped a number of folks on the GSkill forums with those setups. Also, if you buy 2133 DRAM you are not OCing the DRAM - it is spec'ed to run at 2133 at the spec CL, that's what it was designed to run at....at just for food for thought, I often get clients that need high end systems for their work - like you, high end graphics, video, CAD etc using/rendering large data sets, etc...I normally offer them the same suggestions I provided you with...If they select the slower DRAM what I do (and I love doing it) is have them work with a couple of apps and data sets with what they wanted (say 1600 sticks), then I flop them out with a 2133 or 2400 set and let them go at it again, some time we even time the various processes (but even with out the timings) guess what they choose? About 8.5 out of 10 want the faster DRAM and of those that don't it's often a budget issue and they upgrade later when prices fall or sets go on sale. For your type of work, most want all the speed they can get from where ever they can get it, and these days DRAM is relatively cheap in these freqs