i7 960 - BEST way to OVERCLOCK?!

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I'm looking for a way to get a good overclock on an i7 960/rampage iii formula combo. I want to mess with voltages as little as possible.

I tried to do an overclock with a 200BCLK and 21 multi, and though it seemed stable, it was running pretty hot and I didn't really like having to mess with the voltages.

A few ?'s

If I try a 168 BCLK and 25 multi would I have to worry about voltage as much?

What's the easiest way to get a decent overclock without more voltage/heat?

Is there any advantage to having a higher base clock vs higher multi?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
168x25 seems fairly reasonable. You will need to provide the rest of your specs, voltage, ram speed, etc. Though you may find stabilty at certain BCLKs, sometime going a little above or below your target produces better results.

I found myself limited by my ram more then anything. I've run my chip from .9 volts to 1.3 without any temperature issues. I have an Tuniq Tower Extreme on it.

i7 950 @ ~3.85 (161 x 24, 1.175 volts), Rampage III Formula, 3x4GB Corsair Dominator 1600

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I am using 200 BCLK and 21 multi for 4.2ghz on a 930 with 1.296v. My idle temps are mid 30's and levels out at about 70 under prime95 with a Corsair h70 cooler. In the 50's when gaming.

I found that i could keep my voltages quite low up until about 3.9ghz but then had to start giving it more juice to get past that and keep stable. Tried a number of multipliers and bclk combinations with varying results but my chip seemed to like the 21.

In my experience I struggled to get an overclock I was happy with without quite a bit of playing with the voltages in bios. Getting where I wanted to in terms of speed and then dialing the voltages back at small increments and then re testing. My original volts @ 4.2ghz was 1.35 and by shaving it down to just under 1.3 took nearly 5 degrees off my temps so it can be worth it especially for the reduction in heat.