i5-760. Worth the upgrade?

mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
In a nutshell: i have an i5-760. The socket is no longer "supported". My M/B died and i need a new one(RMAed). The provider told me they no longer have a m/b compatible with i5-760. So i will have to get a new M/B (for around 130 euro (150USD through RMA) and that means a new CPU as well...

So, Haswell. The new kid on the block.
-Is it worth it?
-should i wait? (My RMA lasts until October 2013) If so then why?

I want a CPU that can be OCed (air cooling, i dont care about insane numbers)

I want the cheapest as far as CPUs go but i am willing to discuss this if the pros beat the cons. for the cpu i could push around 200-300 euros (smt like 230-340USD)

Suggest M/Bs as well.

sdogg1m

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

So your motherboard isn't under warranty? Usually when someone refers to RMAing a part there is some type of warranty.

If not then this is a cheaper solution: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-LGA1156-Motherboard-Retail-BOXDP55WB/dp/B002N2Z0KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370898630&sr=8-1&keywords=LGA1156

Is Haswell worth it? Most of the information I read recommends upgrading if you are running Sandy Bridge architecture or older. This applies to you.

Should you wait? Depends. I have read that Broadwell (Intel's next CPU line) could potentially be BGA socket only which means no upgrading. I doubt Intel would totally abandon the PC Gamer/OC enthusiasts market but some are predicting that. If you are just using a PC for productivity and aren't into hardcore gaming then you may want to wait for Broadwell or AMD Kaveri.

mortuum

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
It is under warranty. But i can't send it directly to gigabyte. i have to send it to the retailer from which i bought it. The retailer at this point does not have the specific motherboard i own so they instead offered to replace it with one of equal value.

yea, but Haswell or ivy bridge is a better bung for buck? Some say that Haswell is more expensive than IB and not worth it.

My bad. I use the pc for Heavy gaming, Web design/photoshop and some encoding.

I was talking about a wait of 4-5 months so that the market could "ripen" and see if new models/better batches come to light.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Man I can't EVER get good Bung for buck anymore....