5770 vs Bottleneck 7870

Simon Bull

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Recently i've been considering upgrading my Sapphire 5770 Vapor X to a Sapphire 7870.

I understand my current set up is likely to bottleneck the 7870 however i am unaware as to how much.

I'm currently running AMD Athlon II X4 640 at 3.00Ghz on a ASRock N68C-S UCC.

i wish to purchase a new CPU & Motherboard but i do not have the money to do that now.

Would upgrading to the 7870 produce a better gaming experience over my current 5770 despite being bottlenecked?

Solution
D
Yes the 7870 will be a pretty nice step up although as you say it will probably be bottlenecked a bit by your current CPU. If it's all you can afford to upgrade I say go for it. Any CPU overclocking you can do will help as well.
D

Deleted member 217926

Yes the 7870 will be a pretty nice step up although as you say it will probably be bottlenecked a bit by your current CPU. If it's all you can afford to upgrade I say go for it. Any CPU overclocking you can do will help as well.

Solution

Simon Bull

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I'm relatively new to overclocking so will definitely look into it. As i will be looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU in the future, i think purchasing the graphics card will have me set for the future as i can upgrade accordingly but keep the 7870. Thanks for the advice.