i7 950 cooling

serjah9

Honorable
May 23, 2013
im running a i7 950 series and getting around 55-60c (load is around 10% using RealTemp) with the stock intel fan. Im not gaming im producing music (running ableton only) and have my pc running almost 10 hours a day give or take. Any recommendations on cpu cooling fans w/heatsink?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
The cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is quite a good aftermarket cooler if on a budget and will fit into most cases but there is also the Noctua coolers which offer very good air cooling but at a higher price and can require quite a big case to fit in.

Edit : The Hyper 212 evo is taller than I thought!

Best bet is to :

Tell us what case you have
Tell us your budget (if you have one)
Are you overclocking or planning to overclock

You will hopefully get a much more rounded and complete answer rather than bombarded with recommendations :D

serjah9

Honorable
May 23, 2013
thermaltake level 10 gts
HD 6850 graphics
gigbyte x58a-ud3r
under 100$ great under 60$ ideal
i am not overclocking at all, i have easytune6 and it gives me options for that and i might try it once or twice but majority is NO.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished

From looking at the specs for your case you have up to 175mm in terms of height for your cpu cooler which gives you a few choices but I would go with either of the following :

Coolermaster Evo 212 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=evo%20212&IsVirtualParent=1 - This is the more cost effective option and as you were not really that interested in overclocking would probably be the best option as it will reduce your temperatures and give you the option of overclocking if you wanted to in the future.

Noctua NH-14 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018 - This is a more expensive cooler but is possibly the best air cooler on the market and would more than likely give you a bigger temperature drop and would help with a higher overclock should you decide you wanted to.

In my opinion I would get the Coolermaster one and get some decent Thermal paste such as Arctic Silver or MX-4 (with some TIM remover if you haven't got any) as this seems the best solution to me in terms of price / performance / requirements.

Hope that helps dude

serjah9

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Thanks memoflex I think I'll go with the coolermaster setup for the price. I kept hearing the Intel stock CPU cooling fan was fine for my setup but still runs a bit hot.

Thanks for the info...

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
No worries buddy. I would say that the intel stock cooler is designed for the chips it comes with and will keep them within their recommended range of heat but if it has been on there for a while quite often the Thermal paste will dry out meaning bad contact between the cpu and heat sink.

What you could do is order some of the TIM I mentioned earlier and some TIM remover clean up the stock heatsink and cpu and apply the new TIM. Check your temps and see if they have improved. If they have then you could save yourself some money but if they havent then buy the coolermaster cooler and you will already have the TIM ready so you would not have spent more anyway.

Should have mentioned this before but I have always used aftermarket coolers and find them to be better for piece of mind and flexibility in a system. Keeping a cpu as cool as possible is always a bonus.

serjah9

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I will definitely get that TIM remover one thing I totally forgot to mention was on my side panel I have a nzxt 200mm fan that sticks out (1 1/4") would u know if it will fit still?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I have a feeling that neither of those heatsinks will fit with the fan buddy.

The noctua is 158mm and the coolermaster is 159mm. Your case has 178mm max room and I guess that is without a fan installed. 1 1/4" is roughly 30mm so if the heatsink does come into contact with the fan it isn't going to fit although I have been trying to look at where the fan sits in relation to the heatsink (looking at a review of case) and it might be ok although probably not worth the risk.

Best bet is to go with what I said before about changing the TIM on the stock cooler and see how that goes as if it does then space is largly irrelevant.

If it doesn't then you could still go with the coolermaster but get a slightly smaller fan which would then solve the problem.

Finally if all else fails then look for a low profile cooler that will fit with your current setup but I will get back to you on that one once I have looked around. I use a closed water cooling loop on my cpu such as :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

although mine is a model up from this one :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

and it has been excellent. A little fiddly to fit in some cases but the heatsink is really low profile. Has kept my i7 930 @ 4.2ghz at low 30's when idle and hits and hovers around 70 on all cores when full load during stress test for 3+ hours, about low 50's on average when gaming. Don't let the 'watercooling' scare you though :D

Will look for alternatives though and post back.

serjah9

Honorable
May 23, 2013
OK so I measured and measured and measured and it looks like the coolermaster hyper t4 will fit, I did purchase some TIM remover and a sesperate tube of thermal paste as well. Luckily the coolermasters can be switched either horizontal and vertical which will help me out dramatically.
Thanks again memoflex I'll post when I install and see my temps.