Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

fx 8350 vs i5 3470 for use in 3DS Max and VRay rendering task

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 11, 2013 6:52:30 AM

hi guys,

I need a cpu for rendering in 3DS Max and Vray
my budget is limited to $ 200 for cpu
a c 93 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 6:55:26 AM

fx 8350
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 7:10:54 AM

+1 to the FX 8350
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 7:15:13 AM

rgd1101 said:
fx 8350


+2
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 7:22:35 AM

+3 - from the sheer power view...
But be sure to have a good case and adequate cooling, as Vray will tax your CPU to the max, ad that FX is a 125W beast.

Well... If all other things are equal, the i7 3770 beats the FX 8350 75-80s : 100s. And, as we all know, the HT adds around 30-40% computing power /depends on a scenario/... So the score for the i5 should be kinda tied at 100-105s / 100s with a slight favour for the FX.
Cons> You will need to invest in better cooling.
Pros> You can overclock the hell from the FX /something you can't do without a intel K processor/.

Also, there is always Vray RT to consider since it uses GPU and that thing is many times faster than any CPU out there :D 
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 7:24:05 AM

dasangalo7 said:
hi guys,

I need a cpu for rendering in 3DS Max and Vray
my budget is limited to $ 200 for cpu

between the two, the fx8350 will have advantage in those tasks you mentioned.
at the price of fx8350, you might be able to get an fx8320 and a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. or you might able to put more of the budget into the gfx cardcooler/mobo/any other components if you overclock. my 2 cents.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:35:36 AM

random stalker said:
+3 - from the sheer power view...
But be sure to have a good case and adequate cooling, as Vray will tax your CPU to the max, ad that FX is a 125W beast.

Well... If all other things are equal, the i7 3770 beats the FX 8350 75-80s : 100s. And, as we all know, the HT adds around 30-40% computing power /depends on a scenario/... So the score for the i5 should be kinda tied at 100-105s / 100s with a slight favour for the FX.
Cons> You will need to invest in better cooling.
Pros> You can overclock the hell from the FX /something you can't do without a intel K processor/.

Also, there is always Vray RT to consider since it uses GPU and that thing is many times faster than any CPU out there :D 


I do not use VRay RT. Just base VRay.
And I heard that overclocking is not good for rendering?
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 8:38:56 AM

Overclocking is fine for rendering, as long as you have a stable OC, because rendering will certainly stress it.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:40:46 AM

de5_Roy said:
dasangalo7 said:
hi guys,

I need a cpu for rendering in 3DS Max and Vray
my budget is limited to $ 200 for cpu

between the two, the fx8350 will have advantage in those tasks you mentioned.
at the price of fx8350, you might be able to get an fx8320 and a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. or you might able to put more of the budget into the gfx cardcooler/mobo/any other components if you overclock. my 2 cents.


hello friend :) 

what do you think is the best processor for rendering from Intel that can be taken for a budget of 200$ ?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 8:46:06 AM

When it comes to rendering...you are right in the wheelhouse of AMD CPUs. A comparable intel CPU at the same $180-190 price point as the FX8350 will come up short. Rendering likes more cores...the more cores you can throw at a rendering rig, the better. That's one of the most taxing activities you can do with a CPU. So you would see the full gamut of performance from the 8350, and if you OC it...you will really get some good performance.

As for intel, well, in that price range, you picked the best one there is...and it would still come up short. If you had a $300 budget for a CPU, we could talk about a 3770k or something along those lines, and it would be a slight amount better for $110-120 more. So the question for you is...would you consider +/-15% faster rendering worth a 60% cost increase? In my mind it's not...but you may think differently.
Share
a c 185 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 9:19:04 AM

dasangalo7 said:
de5_Roy said:
dasangalo7 said:
hi guys,

I need a cpu for rendering in 3DS Max and Vray
my budget is limited to $ 200 for cpu

between the two, the fx8350 will have advantage in those tasks you mentioned.
at the price of fx8350, you might be able to get an fx8320 and a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. or you might able to put more of the budget into the gfx cardcooler/mobo/any other components if you overclock. my 2 cents.


hello friend :) 

what do you think is the best processor for rendering from Intel that can be taken for a budget of 200$ ?

Nothing that has the advantage over the 8350 when it comes to rendering...
m
0
l
a c 80 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 9:29:50 AM

i am quoting u.s. prices, since i don't know your location/preferred shopping website. prices are different at different places.
dasangalo7 said:

hello friend :) 

what do you think is the best processor for rendering from Intel that can be taken for a budget of 200$ ?

a quad core cpu like the one you listed. but it might not be the best. check 3dsmax benches to see which ones are better.
at $200 or lower, you are unlikely to find an intel cpu capable of executing 8 threads at the same time. i don't know about xeons. i still went looking for one on newegg, none of the hyperthreading cpus are under or around $200. most are over $200 and near $300. for example,
xeon e3 1230 $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
xeon e3 1240 v2 $270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
both of these have hyperthreading support but nowhere near $200. their clockrates are low, you will need to find a motherboard that supports lga1155 xeon cpus, etc.
if you are in the u.s. and can go to a microcenter, you might be able to buy a core i7 3820 (4c/8t) at $230 or core i7 3770k at $250. the only 4c/8t cpu i found was xeon 1230 v2 at $200:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/400271/Xeon_E3_1230V...
i couldn't find any other cpu from intel under $200, better than fx8350 for 3ds max.
i only checked newegg and microcenter. others might be more lucky.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:59:16 AM

thank you all

I will buy 8350

m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:02:45 AM

Good Luck, please share some solution love with one of us :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 11:08:58 AM

I think it's a tri win between the three of us that first posted =P
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 12:47:51 PM

LOL...yeah...
m
0
l
!