Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fx-6300 or i5 3470 for a budget gameing build?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • GPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Build
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 11, 2013 10:13:35 AM

There is about a 50-70 dollar difference between them currently the amd cpu gives opportunity to oc and has a high base clock but i know the 3470 has better single core performance what would yall recommend betweent he 2?

Im looking at these 2 lower cpus instead of say a 3570k and trying to put more money into the gpu since iv been told the gpu is more important then a gpu anyhow for gameing

More about : 6300 3470 budget gameing build

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:18:29 AM

The AMD one; especially if you OC it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:20:29 AM

Tht will really depend in your budget, the i5 is clearly superior but the fx is enough, what Gpu is on your mind right now? maybe that could clear things up a bit.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2013 10:27:56 AM

pit_1209 said:
Tht will really depend in your budget, the i5 is clearly superior but the fx is enough, what Gpu is on your mind right now? maybe that could clear things up a bit.
Thinking a 7870 or a nividia 660 ti with a possibly upgrade down the road

looking to finish up at like 850-900 after mail in rebates
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:33:37 AM

Oh, 900$?


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $926.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:33 EDT-0400)

Stupid windows.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 10:39:23 AM

X79 said:
Oh, 900$?


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $926.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:33 EDT-0400)

Stupid windows.

Someone else reckomended that cpu to me before but i dont understand why? its a 3.0 cpu were the 3470 is a 3.2 and the 3470 is like 50 dollars cheaper why should i pay more for a slower cpu?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:43:11 AM

^ buddy i5 4670 comes @3.4ghz lol

m
0
l
June 11, 2013 10:47:41 AM

ASHISH65 said:
^ buddy i5 4670 comes @3.4ghz lol


oh lol my bad haha, imm udk 50 extra bucks for .2 more ghz, wouldnt maybe a small ssd for the operating system and a 3470 be better?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:49:27 AM

Those are good builds but a fx 6300 is comparable at gaming with the i5 (not talking about the cases far above 60 fps that won´t matter at all) and you could buy a better gpu and get a good Oc in the meantime.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:51:07 AM

If you go with AMD, you can get a SSD and a HD 7970 GHz Ed. in the build for the same money, with a 6 core CPU @ 3.9 GHz

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15jhZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15jhZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15jhZ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.39 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $922.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:50 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 10:52:31 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $931.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 11:09:52 AM

X79 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $931.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)
You think the 6350 is better then the 6300? its like 20 bucks more is it worth it?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 11:17:12 AM

Forte EXE said:
X79 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $931.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 13:52 EDT-0400)
You think the 6350 is better then the 6300? its like 20 bucks more is it worth it?



Is 0.4 ghz faster, is your vote but you can oc the 6300 more than that.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 11:19:35 AM

If you OC the 6300, I think it's a worthwhile CPU indeed.

Especially for budget builds. But I think you should go with

the build 8350rocks posted. I didn't see his as we posted around the same time.

His seems to have a slightly slimmed down motherboard, but a much better GPU/CPU

too; but he's a pro, so he knows what he's talking about for sure.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 11, 2013 12:35:28 PM

X79 said:
If you OC the 6300, I think it's a worthwhile CPU indeed.

Especially for budget builds. But I think you should go with

the build 8350rocks posted. I didn't see his as we posted around the same time.

His seems to have a slightly slimmed down motherboard, but a much better GPU/CPU

too; but he's a pro, so he knows what he's talking about for sure.


That's really an $80 MB on sale at newegg for $20 off...it's a good value.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 1:40:12 PM

6300 if your overclocking it. also, on the builds, what other parts are needed? monitor, kb, mouse, os, ect.

if you don't need the os, you can up from the 7950 to the 7970 ghz, wich is considerably faster.

If you need the os, get windows 7, unless your using a touch screen.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:45:09 PM

noob2222 said:
6300 if your overclocking it. also, on the builds, what other parts are needed? monitor, kb, mouse, os, ect.

if you don't need the os, you can up from the 7950 to the 7970 ghz, wich is considerably faster.

If you need the os, get windows 7, unless your using a touch screen.

need it all os monitor keybored mouse internet security and i plan to buy skyrim so im looking at a 1200 budget for everything figured 150 for a onitor 30 for keybored and mouse and 70 for security and 60 for skyrim that leaves like 900 for the computer itself
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 2:41:53 PM

Please don't buy anti-virus ^^.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2013 7:53:47 PM

here is an option, all but case, kb, mouse and software.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($62.05 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($385.38 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Samsung S24B300EL 23.6" Monitor ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1018.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 22:49 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 12, 2013 4:43:42 AM

X79 said:
Please don't buy anti-virus ^^.
why not its kinda important...

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2013 5:25:42 AM

Forte EXE said:
X79 said:
Please don't buy anti-virus ^^.
why not its kinda important...



Because it's a waste of money by most accounts.

Most can get by on free versions.

Any serious malware is tested against the most common

anti-virus suites anyway, before it's released.

With a combination of things like malwarebytes + some antivirus

and other free utilities, you can gain really good protection still;

for free. It's your choice though ^^...
m
0
l
!