New 2013 Haswell Build

tachybana

Distinguished
Afternoon Techies,

I am looking to build a new machine (my P4 is no longer doing the job) and now with the release of haswell, i am due for an upgrade.

I went ahead and placed a quick shopping list

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/tachybana/saved/1HLQ

CPU i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $213.98
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM $78.99
Mobo Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 $204.98
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $72.99
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD $214.99
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $67.23
Video Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $389.99
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower $79.99
PSU SeaSonic 550W ATX12V / EPS12V $79.99
O/S Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.74

Total $1492.87

my only concern is that i find this a bit pricey still, and I am looking to save a few more dollars. Can anyone offer an alternative with regards to a mobo (or video card) or should i hold out on the video card until BF4 release (by then price would come down or so?)

The main use for this rig will be medium use, Heavy excel crunching, family video/photo editing, light gaming (possibly BF4/Dark Souls 2/COH 2) on a single monitor (no bigger than 24"). I don't think i would ever do SLI.

Is there a mobo that can do single GPU setup (no Crossfire or SLI) and overclock?

Thanks for your help with my shopping list.

Solution
128gb should be enough for a couple of games and the OS.

the easy overclock tools are usually bad. i wouldnt suggest using those. overclocking by yourself is easy. increase the multiplier to around 4.2ghz, run prime95 for a hour or 2. if its stable, adjust to 4.3ghz. repeat. if its not stable, increase the voltage by 0.01 to 0.05v and try to get it stable.

the alc1150 is much better but then the sniper m5 has a better codec anyways if you want good sound. the regular 898 is good enough for the most part however
its a really easy fix
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/151cZ

-saved money by using a cheaper SSD. in real life, they are no different
-changed the GPU for one that is slightly more powerful
-there is no point of a g series gold 550w psu when gold isnt that much better and modularity isnt needed at such low wattages
-changed the cooler for something a lot cheaper but performs pretty well
-the z87 d3h is a board just as good except for much chepaer

tachybana

Distinguished

BigTroll thanks for the post. I will go over this shopping list.

Since you pointed out i should'nt go for the high end SSD samsung pro (i am sure can save a few dollars there) would a 120GB - 128GB be enough for a snappy system?

for PSU i will pickout a decent 80 bronze (anything between 400W-500W) is sufficent (even with this video card?) - are there any Mfrg i should avoid? (cooler master,i read a few folks here avoid those) etc etc)

the mobo is something i am curious about. i have never overclocked so i assume the board has a 123 oc process that will make it easy for a newbie as myself. Also i might do SLI in the future (doubt i would go 4 way), is there such a thing as PCI-e 3.0 x16-x16? at a reasonable price? or does it scale back to x8 x8

i think i had a user state that the caviar blue are a little iffy, so instead go for the black or barracuda (is any of this valid?)

Also you mentioned the NIC (is this the network card?) does is really matter as to who manufactures it? Any i should avoid?

And is there a major difference between ALC898 and the ALC 1150?

Again thanks very much for your feedback.

128gb should be enough for a couple of games and the OS.

the easy overclock tools are usually bad. i wouldnt suggest using those. overclocking by yourself is easy. increase the multiplier to around 4.2ghz, run prime95 for a hour or 2. if its stable, adjust to 4.3ghz. repeat. if its not stable, increase the voltage by 0.01 to 0.05v and try to get it stable.

the alc1150 is much better but then the sniper m5 has a better codec anyways if you want good sound. the regular 898 is good enough for the most part however

Solution