Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

what cpu should i get intel i7 4770k i7 3770k or fx 8350

Last response: in Memory
Share
June 11, 2013 12:18:26 PM

money isent a problem here and i know the 4770k it newer and the fx 8350 has 8 cores some people say just go with the intel i7 3770k is best but im not sure can someone help

More about : cpu intel 4770k 3770k 8350

June 11, 2013 12:24:03 PM

If money isn't a problem then get a Sandy Bridge-E 3970X
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 12:26:04 PM

the i5 4670k is your best bet if you are looking for a gaming CPU. the i7 would otherwise be useless as games dont take advantage fully the capability of the i7s extra threads.

the 8350 is for budget workstations. the 3970x CPUs are for 12 year olds who dont know a crap about money or they are for rich people who dont care about their money
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2013 12:34:16 PM

Drew010 said:
If money isn't a problem then get a Sandy Bridge-E 3970X


i meant out of those 3
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 12:37:11 PM

Jagger McCrimmon said:
Drew010 said:
If money isn't a problem then get a Sandy Bridge-E 3970X


i meant out of those 3


Then definitely the 4770K without a question.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 12:38:49 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the i5 4670k is your best bet if you are looking for a gaming CPU. the i7 would otherwise be useless as games dont take advantage fully the capability of the i7s extra threads.

the 8350 is for budget workstations. the 3970x CPUs are for 12 year olds who dont know a crap about money or they are for rich people who dont care about their money

i dont under stand with the i7 and i5 ok so what are the extra threads used for and what about core preformance is the preformance per core on the 4770k better on the 4670k i just want the one that will get me the most fps with the radeon 7970 and the one that will last the longest plus i got windows 8 (i dont know if it makes a differance there)
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 12:58:12 PM

the i7 is the same as the i5. same cores and everything except for the fact that the i7 can produce a extra thread per each core, making the i7 seem as if there are 8 cores. in gaming, these extra "cores" do nothing as games cant take advantage of it properly yet (and when i mean yet, it means that by the time it actually makes a difference to have extra cores, you are already replacing the rig)

core per core, the i5 and i7 are the same. they will last you equally as long for gaming
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:02:45 PM

The biggest difference is that the 4770K can use Hyper-threading - real briefly running multiple processes on each core at the same time - IN general MOST people don't have a need for it, unless a specific software package can use it. If you don't know about Hyper-Threading chances are in the upper 90ties percentile wise, you have no need for it

Here's a couple of articles 1 from Wikipedia and another from Intel I keep around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and...
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:09:32 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the i7 is the same as the i5. same cores and everything except for the fact that the i7 can produce a extra thread per each core, making the i7 seem as if there are 8 cores. in gaming, these extra "cores" do nothing as games cant take advantage of it properly yet (and when i mean yet, it means that by the time it actually makes a difference to have extra cores, you are already replacing the rig)

core per core, the i5 and i7 are the same. they will last you equally as long for gaming

thanks for helping me out and saveing a little money
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:09:55 PM

Tradesman1 said:
The biggest difference is that the 4770K can use Hyper-threading - real briefly running multiple processes on each core at the same time - IN general MOST people don't have a need for it, unless a specific software package can use it. If you don't know about Hyper-Threading chances are in the upper 90ties percentile wise, you have no need for it

Here's a couple of articles 1 from Wikipedia and another from Intel I keep around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and...


thanks for the articles
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:30:34 PM

No problem, there's a lot of folks that just don't really understand systems, the components, real world computing vs Benchmarks, etc...I like helping folks and even after over 30 years I learn new things EVERY day, it's one of the reasons I like these kind of forums, I've only been here on Tom's a few days, but there's others, I'm an Admin on GSkill's forums, have been there since either 2008 or 2009, this stuff helps me keep up with all the hardware out there
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:32:37 PM

If money is not an issue go for a X79 platform with a 3930k hands down
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:39:07 PM

Tradesman1 said:
No problem, there's a lot of folks that just don't really understand systems, the components, real world computing vs Benchmarks, etc...I like helping folks and even after over 30 years I learn new things EVERY day, it's one of the reasons I like these kind of forums, I've only been here on Tom's a few days, but there's others, I'm an Admin on GSkill's forums, have been there since either 2008 or 2009, this stuff helps me keep up with all the hardware out there


o man youve got alot of experience in this and i like to see others help out but one more question do you know what i most likely be able to over clock the intel i5 4670k or the intel i7 4770k and if i want to overclock to the max what cooler do you think will be good out of these. cooler master evo Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan push pull. CoolIT LCS ECO II-120MM FB Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan push pull. Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator duel standard fans.my motherboard is [CrossFireX] Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 4 Plus
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 1:40:30 PM

Redeemer

Let's at least try and be real around here -if someone is looking for help, offer the help and explain reasoning. There's no need for sarcasm or urging someone to throw money away.
The 3930K wasn't on the list and basically would be a waste of money for prob 98+ % of the people out there.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 2:54:17 PM

Jagger McCrimmon said:
Tradesman1 said:
No problem, there's a lot of folks that just don't really understand systems, the components, real world computing vs Benchmarks, etc...I like helping folks and even after over 30 years I learn new things EVERY day, it's one of the reasons I like these kind of forums, I've only been here on Tom's a few days, but there's others, I'm an Admin on GSkill's forums, have been there since either 2008 or 2009, this stuff helps me keep up with all the hardware out there


o man youve got alot of experience in this and i like to see others help out but one more question do you know what i most likely be able to over clock the intel i5 4670k or the intel i7 4770k and if i want to overclock to the max what cooler do you think will be good out of these. cooler master evo Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan push pull. CoolIT LCS ECO II-120MM FB Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan push pull. Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator duel standard fans.my motherboard is [CrossFireX] Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 4 Plus


anything that is single thin radiator based isnt going to perform better than a hyper 212 evo. get a proper heatsink like a phanteks tc12dx if you want proper cooling for a good price.

and as for the motherboard, pick up the z87-a from asus or the z87x-d3h from gigabyte. great boards for a good price
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 3:06:01 PM

There's a lot to be said for liquid cooling, but like TheBigTroll above the Hyper 212 EVO does an extremely good job and with no Hassle, I'm running that on my 3570K @ 4.7 24/7 and the idle is in the mid 30s, at times I'm going to kick it to 4.9 or 5.0 for extended periods I simply add a second fan to the back and still keeps it at about 40... Last time I played with a liquid cooler it was the Corsair Hydro H110 and it sort of surprised me the EVO was basically on par with it, and a hair cooler w/ the two fan setup up
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 3:14:10 PM

Tradesman1 said:
There's a lot to be said for liquid cooling, but like TheBigTroll above the Hyper 212 EVO does an extremely good job and with no Hassle, I'm running that on my 3570K @ 4.7 24/7 and the idle is in the mid 30s, at times I'm going to kick it to 4.9 or 5.0 for extended periods I simply add a second fan to the back and still keeps it at about 40... Last time I played with a liquid cooler it was the Corsair Hydro H110 and it sort of surprised me the EVO was basically on par with it, and a hair cooler w/ the two fan setup up


i have 7 120mm 500-1200 rpm fans i think a liquid cooler will take up 2 of those 7 if i got one and do you think if i got all 7 in the case running about 1200rpm or 1000 do you think it will help the evo out and cool the cpu even more?
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 4:30:42 PM

more fans doesnt mean you get better cooling. in my case, fans make zero difference in terms of temps
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 4:41:38 PM

TheBigTroll said:
more fans doesnt mean you get better cooling. in my case, fans make zero difference in terms of temps


ok so can fans cool down a gpu though
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 4:45:59 PM

if they dont make a difference on my CPU, they wont make a difference on my GPU. assuming you have a good cooler on your GPU (anything from evga doesnt cool very well compared to others), it should run cool enough so that you are voltage limited rather than temp limited in your overclocks
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 4:57:50 PM

A typical DRAM fan such as GSkill's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

can cool your 4-5 degrees or so, but with today's DRAM and heatsinks, it shouldn't be an issue unless getting into extreme OCing or using cheapie no-name sticks. With Haswell and the ability to run 2800-3000+ DRAM it might be of use, but haven't seen a need yet
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 5:02:50 PM

the dram fans are just plain stupid. first of all, running high speed dimms dont benefit performance in any way and second, even at high speeds, the sticks stay relatively cool. unless you are going LN2 and trying to set a world record, there is no need for high speed ram or fans
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 5:13:34 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the dram fans are just plain stupid. first of all, running high speed dimms dont benefit performance in any way and second, even at high speeds, the sticks stay relatively cool. unless you are going LN2 and trying to set a world record, there is no need for high speed ram or fans


ok what would the fans be good for or should i save a little bit and not have as many
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 5:14:30 PM

Agree on the fans/Disagree on higher speed DRAM as with anything else, there always a place for it, depends on what's being done and if one knows how to set it up and use it...I like to run blind test on my clients/friends/etc - with identical systems or a single and testing them blind appr 85 percent always shose the rig with faster DRAM (gen done with 1600-2133 or 1866-2400) if done at 1600-2400 closer to 95% pick the high freq DRAM systems...
m
0
l
July 7, 2013 11:56:27 AM

u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
:pt1cable:  [Bwhahahaha!]


_________________
+1
m
0
l
!