<$3000 Gaming Computer Build Help

KarelC

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
I'm new to the PC building world so I was wondering if everything is compatible. (I chose low profile ram for the large cooler).

Also if you have any ideas of if I should switch some parts out for others.

And if I were to do 2-way sli in the future, would I have to do water cooling?

Thanks in advance! :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($283.38 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($244.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($644.80 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($161.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($48.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($279.00 @ Canada Computers)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($58.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $2728.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-11 17:33 EDT-0400)

If you plan to overclock and go SLI, I'd recommend a 1000W PSU. Also, for an easier time installing the cooler, I'd get two 8GB RAM sticks so you have an empty slot next to the CPU. Of course, go low profile/no heat spreader.

For best performance, you just may want to go with a pure 500GB SSD. They can be had for $300 dollars now. A top quality Samsung 840 500GB is only $330. With this amount of space, you are totally covered for a gaming machine and don't have to worry about old-fashioned HDD's ever again.

For gaming, you may want to consider a 4670K to save a hundred bucks. And a cheaper Motherboard too. To actually make use of that 144Hz monitor, you need real serious graphics power. If you go with the cheaper processor and motherboard, you can go 770SLI's immediately.

KarelC

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

Thanks for the help. If I go with 2x8GB RAM, it's DDR3-1866 where as the 4x4GB RAM is DDR3-2133 will this make a difference?
I think I will switch to pure SSD thanks for that - no downsides to this besides expense right?
For the lower processor, is the a big difference outside of gaming? as the computer won't solely be used to game.
Can you recommend a better suited Motherboard please?
Thanks for the help and sorry for the slew of questions.

Studies have been done on RAM speed. For Intel, it makes virtually no difference for faster RAM for gaming. Intel has an excellent solution with it's cache and RAM controller. The same can be said for the amount of RAM. As of now 8GB is the sweet spot. However, some games are just starting to scratch into that. Plus if you have other demanding programs you will be running. RAM is so cheap, I'd go with a 16GB build now too. Now with AMD processors, faster RAM is a great help. You should make the RAM as fast as possible for AMD for it does make a difference.

As for the 4770K, many programs do use the threaded cores and more will in the future. Also it has advanced commands that may be of importance in the future.

No, I don't recommend water cooling for anyone.

EnXridion

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
To my knowledge not many (like one or two? Crysis 3 is the only one i know for sure) games currently take advantage of of the hyperthreading, and the very few that do, have heavy multi-threading applications that would benefit more from a real core than the hyper-threading. If I remember correctly, this is why the cheaper AMD's with 4 cores are recommended over the Intel Pentium duos and such on TomsHardware.

But as for the future I do not know b/c someone mentioned on the forums that the XBoxOne (BOOOOOO) and the PS4 have like 8 cheap cores so developers so in the future more cores might be the name of the game, but I haven't read anything that says so explicitly.

Current games are not optimized for hyperthreading and when it is enabled it causes a performance drop.

EnXridion

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

What do you have against liquid cooling? I have an all in one H60 right now and I like it. So much so, that in my new build I am in the process of adding a custom loop. Yes it is more expensive than fans, but it cools way way better and generates significantly less noise.

Plus what is the purpose of spending this kind of cash if you are not going to use the absolute best method of taking care of it? Or why even buy a Full Tower Case with a giant window if you are not going to liquid cool?

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I AM GOING TO SAVE YOUUUU!!!!

DO NOT GET WINDOWS 8...

Games are not compatible with windows 8 because it just came out. Also if you want it way better get win7 pro then get 4x8gb at 1866mhz. Hope this helps :D

Hi - you've already rcvd good advice/insight in that for the time being stay
with Win7 vs 8, an i5 k cpu is as good for gaming as the i7, save the $100,
& since ram is cheap, I'd go with 2x8g dual channel sticks & protect against
future potential needs.

However, you do not need to get a 1khw PSU to SLI 2 - 780's, the hx850
you have selected is sufficient to power a system with 2 - 780's.

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I agree with this man. and thank you for the compliment :D :D :D :D :D

:)

TRENDING THREADS