Solved

650 TI FPS Drops in all games?

Tags:
  • FPS Drop
  • nvidia-650-ti
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2013 7:45:15 PM

FIRST AND FORMOST, SPECS
AMD AMD3+ FX 8320 8 core 3.5ghz (not over/underclocked)
4gb ram (generic)
MSI 760GM-P23 Mobo
MSI NVIDIA 650 TI

Now the issue that i am getting is with every game, that runs a good set of units on the screen at a time. Games like League and Dota would stutter. BF3 would stutter, Serious sam (Classic and HD) both will stutter. This is getting annoying. Can one of you broes help me out over here in diagosing my problem with my FPS drops?

FPS drop example would be 120 fps in dota 2, drops to 20 until I move the map elsewhere away from major unit control.

ANY HELP WILL HELP, I STILL HAVE MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY AND I CAN REPLACE PARTS IF NEEDED!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

More about : 650 fps drops games

June 11, 2013 7:48:32 PM

What resolution are you using? 650's & 650ti's arent the strongest gaming GPUs.
m
l
June 11, 2013 7:50:05 PM

rex4235 said:
What resolution are you using? 650's & 650ti's arent the strongest gaming GPUs.

I used to use 1650X1050, but my screen burned out. I know i can go much higher but i am currently using 1440X900 (as this screen's cap)

I understand its not the strongest gpu, but hell, it shouldent be dropping down to 20 fps
m
l
June 11, 2013 7:54:28 PM

1.Check Drivers, this can easily be the problem.

2. restart PC if you haven't in awhile if these problems are new.

3. make sure your default GPU in windows and not any integrated card in your cpu (if it has one, i'm far more knowledgeable about intel so not sure on that cpu .

4. check for problems with windows updates in control panel

5. report back to me please.
m
l
June 11, 2013 7:54:53 PM

Other threads state that fps drops like this are associated with heat, I dont know if i should believe that seeing how my GPU would not reach the 50 deg mark, and my cpu wont go over 60.
m
l
June 11, 2013 7:56:58 PM

Run core temp and afterburner, while playing a game note the GPU and CPU utilization percentages. Ideally, they should be close to each other. If you see an average, say, 50% CPU and 100% GPU, then you have a GPU bottleneck.
m
l
June 11, 2013 7:57:31 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
1.Check Drivers, this can easily be the problem.

2. restart PC if you haven't in awhile if these problems are new.

3. make sure your default GPU in windows and not any integrated card in your cpu (if it has one, i'm far more knowledgeable about intel so not sure on that cpu .

4. check for problems with windows updates in control panel

5. report back to me please.

1. Drivers most recent
2. its been happining since a week or 2 after i got my card, have restarted in that time
3. I have an integrated GPU (ATI Radeon HD 3000, how would i disable this?)
4. Disabled windows update, shits a pain in the ass
5. Reporting
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:03:00 PM

rex4235 said:
Run core temp and afterburner, while playing a game note the GPU and CPU utilization percentages. Ideally, they should be close to each other. If you see an average, say, 50% CPU and 100% GPU, then you have a GPU bottleneck.

gpu is hitting (Max)90% while the cpu is on vacation at 50-30% (max 70%)
Explain Bottleneck, and how would i fix that?

ALSO should take note that dota 2 is a source game, and runs 2 cores (of my 8 cores) so the distribution of resources is pretty even between cores. I cant give a 100% answer on my CPU %
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:07:46 PM

A bottleneck is when your CPU in this case isn't able to send the info to your GPU fast enough, because it's too slow. Meaning the GPU can't utilize it's true power.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:08:35 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
A bottleneck is when your CPU in this case ins't able to send the info to your GPU fast enough, meaning the GPU can't utilize it's true power.

Alright how do i fix it?
(OFC if thats the case)
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:09:27 PM

Raffi Kurbessoian said:
SmashSmashSumash said:
A bottleneck is when your CPU in this case ins't able to send the info to your GPU fast enough, meaning the GPU can't utilize it's true power.

Alright how do i fix it?
(OFC if thats the case)

2 possible ways.

1. Buy a better CPU

2. Overclock your CPU
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:14:02 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
Raffi Kurbessoian said:
SmashSmashSumash said:

Alright how do i fix it?
(OFC if thats the case)

2 possible ways.

1. Buy a better CPU

2. Overclock your CPU

But that cant be the case, forsure, i have 8 cores, clocked at 3.5ghz with 16MB cache, i haven't fucked with any of the silence settings in the mobo. Shoulden't be an issue like this. My friend runs a similar set (weaker cpu) (same card) and has no troubles.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:19:43 PM

it could be ram filling up but i doubt it. What OS do you have? ie: windows 7 64bit, or a 32bit OS
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:21:06 PM

If it's a 32bit OS you may need more ram if you have a lot of apps open, otherwise i can only think of drivers or windows update problems that can cause this.

Aside from a defective peice of hardware.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:22:21 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
it could be ram filling up but i doubt it. What OS do you have? ie: windows 7 64bit, or a 32bit OS

windows 7 64 bit. Rams at 4gb (the with everything running im getting around 3gb usage)

I have Programs to monitor my fps, why do you think i could tell my fps drops to 20? (MSI afterburner)
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:24:41 PM

Yeah I edited it, forgot you mentioned fps.

Try running malwarebytes for possible malware slowing you down, and ccleaner to clean files and fix registry problems.

Also if windows is not updated properly you will have major issues.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:27:09 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
Yeah I edited it, forgot you mentioned fps.

Try running malwarebytes for possible malware slowing you down, and ccleaner to clean files and fix registry problems.

Also if windows is not updated properly you will have major issues.

Is that true? I haven't used windows update for 2-3 years now (not on this machine but overall) I find it as a clutterfuck, and all it accomplishes is slowing down the rig, Can you change my mentality on this? also NVIDIA did have an update for the card. IF I DO recall, my issues started around the time that I updated my Driver. Could it be the new driver? I read somewhere about setting my PC to high performance and something about adaptive Vsync. Whats that?
m
l

Best solution

June 11, 2013 8:32:01 PM

Not updating windows can cause tons, and tons of issues. I know this not from just acting like updates are important, but from having them myself.

Maintaining your PC is a necessary job that can be made much easier with a few programs. Malwarebytes Free edition, CCleaner Free, and a free antivirus.

First and foremost go into control panel and troubleshoot windows update, and fully update, restart when it asks, do it again to be sure it was done right, repeat until it is.

Then run the above listed programs to clean what are likely tons of issues bogging down your PC.

If you need help using the above programs just let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through them.

Making a habit of using them once daily means never worrying about PC problems.

NEVER TURN OFF WINDOWS UPDATES. THIS IS ESSENTIAL
June 11, 2013 8:32:48 PM

Alright after running some games for around 30 minutes, GPU maxed at 87% (which was the spark of the beggining of the game running after map render n shit) after that it has maxed at 57%. CPU i set the last 4 cpus of my 8 cores to take care of the games, and they max at 70, with a stable ~50, so its not bottlenecking.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:34:11 PM

Raffi Kurbessoian said:
Alright after running some games for around 30 minutes, GPU maxed at 87% (which was the spark of the beggining of the game running after map render n shit) after that it has maxed at 57%. CPU i set the last 4 cpus of my 8 cores to take care of the games, and they max at 70, with a stable ~50, so its not bottlenecking.

Regardless please do the above steps if you care about your PC lasting.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:36:05 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
Not updating windows can cause tons, and tons of issues. I know this not from just acting like updates are important, but from having them myself.

Maintaining your PC is a necessary job that can be made much easier with a few programs. Malwarebytes Free edition, CCleaner Free, and a free antivirus.

First and foremost go into control panel and troubleshoot windows update, and fully update, restart when it asks, do it again to be sure it was done right, repeat until it is.

Then run the above listed programs to clean what are likely tons of issues bogging down your PC.

If you need help using the above programs just let me know, I'd be happy to walk you through them.

Making a habit of using them once daily means never worrying about PC problems.

NEVER TURN OFF WINDOWS UPDATES. THIS IS ESSENTIAL

I am updating right now, But are you sure, you aren't a NSA worker, wanting to monitor my every move?
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:43:14 PM

UUH, im not planning on downloading malwarebytes, or CC cleaner, I have AVG and AVG PC tuneup. IM running those right now. Im sure its not malware.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:43:20 PM

I wish had that kind of power lol...
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:44:48 PM

Malwarebytes is a scanning tool to compliment your antivirus, and finds things no antivirus will.

It's a very well known program and you can even find and DL it on cnet.

It's 100% legit.
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:47:17 PM

SmashSmashSumash said:
Malwarebytes is a scanning tool to compliment your antivirus, and finds things no antivirus will.

It's a very well known program and you can even find and DL it on cnet.

It's 100% legit.

I know, dont get me wrong, ive used it b4 for those "FBI pay 200 dollar to unlock your pc" crap, but i dont have anything that would be a symptom of malware
m
l
June 11, 2013 8:52:12 PM

Ima test around some more, see if i get a drop, I set some NVidia settings so they are more "obedient " to my games, compared to the NVIDIA pannel settings. Wish me luck!
m
l
June 12, 2013 8:58:40 AM

Comes to forums asking for help; refuses to do half of the suggestions
m
l
June 17, 2013 9:25:59 AM

IM BACK, AND THAT WINDOWS UPDATE CRAP DID NOTHING TO HELP ME OUT!

THAT JUST WASTED MY BANDWITH!

I DOWNLOADED AND RAN MALWAREBYTES, NOTHING.

Now a buddy of mine told me to run a performance test, and see how my specs match up with other machines. SHOCKING NEWS, my cpu seems to be very under the ordinary numbers.

AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core 8,187
I am hitting
AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core 5,857
http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=974...

Whats the deal here...?
m
l
June 17, 2013 10:09:03 AM

It's the government - get your tinfoil hat
m
l
June 17, 2013 10:14:13 AM

rex4235 said:
It's the government - get your tinfoil hat

Thanks mate
m
l
October 7, 2013 1:56:21 PM

Dude I hate to say this but it's your CPU it's an AMD. If CPUs were cars AMD would be a Hyundai and say intel would be Mercedes (simply stating for poiny of reference) AMD processors are often over rated and are running a lower clock speed then listed on the box, as well as having slow bus speeds, memory widths etc. also, I doubt you ever run anything that utilizes all 8 cores :/  what's the threading on that CPU if you don't mind me asking?

What I'm getting at here and I'm doing my best to be as respectful as possible about it as a mans rig is not something one disrespects! but im guessing the solution is you need a new CPU. that AMD isn't built for gaming as much as it is other things such as media, or rendering. I also have an MSI gtx 650 TI boost and I have a shitty CPU right now (a dual core e5300 2.6ghz) I WAS going to buy your exact processor due to the price point and I saw 8 cores and 3. Whatever ghz clock but after some not very extensive research it was clear I'd be wasting my money for a very minimal gaming performance increase from what I'm getting now with my intel dual core :/ 

Spend an extra $100 - $150 next time on a nice intel quad core that is truly running what it says as far as clock speed as well as can move the data around your Mobo efficiently and you'll be shocked at how much better you'll be gaming. I'm looking into an intel i5 3570k CPU for my 650 ti boost it seems to be the best CPU to run that card and get max performance for gaming.

All that aside what kind of MOBO do you have this set up on?! If its cheap that could also be holding your GPU back, the ti boost is a beast midrange card and the fact your seeing problems like this mean something is keeping it on a leash. Thanks and sorry for the verbosity

m
l
October 8, 2013 7:08:36 PM

Bagelboy87 said:
Dude I hate to say this but it's your CPU it's an AMD. If CPUs were cars AMD would be a Hyundai and say intel would be Mercedes (simply stating for poiny of reference) AMD processors are often over rated and are running a lower clock speed then listed on the box, as well as having slow bus speeds, memory widths etc. also, I doubt you ever run anything that utilizes all 8 cores :/  what's the threading on that CPU if you don't mind me asking?

What I'm getting at here and I'm doing my best to be as respectful as possible about it as a mans rig is not something one disrespects! but im guessing the solution is you need a new CPU. that AMD isn't built for gaming as much as it is other things such as media, or rendering. I also have an MSI gtx 650 TI boost and I have a shitty CPU right now (a dual core e5300 2.6ghz) I WAS going to buy your exact processor due to the price point and I saw 8 cores and 3. Whatever ghz clock but after some not very extensive research it was clear I'd be wasting my money for a very minimal gaming performance increase from what I'm getting now with my intel dual core :/ 

Spend an extra $100 - $150 next time on a nice intel quad core that is truly running what it says as far as clock speed as well as can move the data around your Mobo efficiently and you'll be shocked at how much better you'll be gaming. I'm looking into an intel i5 3570k CPU for my 650 ti boost it seems to be the best CPU to run that card and get max performance for gaming.

All that aside what kind of MOBO do you have this set up on?! If its cheap that could also be holding your GPU back, the ti boost is a beast midrange card and the fact your seeing problems like this mean something is keeping it on a leash. Thanks and sorry for the verbosity

You sound like an absolute fool with this message, bringing the idea that an amd is a Hyundai and an intel a Mercedes. I love Mercedes es, but my AMD feels like a ferrari. What was the problem, was not the GPU, but the CPU was defective(Primarily to my fault). The MoBo I was using wasnt made for FX series 120V cpus, but rather 75V cpus. I had to get my amd cpu sent back to amd, and they sent me a new one for free. Then i went ahead and purchased a new mobo for 100 bucks (970A-PG45), and League runs at 210 fps, Dota at 160 FPS, payday at 130FPS, BF3 60 FPS. 1400X xxx resolution.

TL;DR, dont bring a thread back to life, if you belive an amd is weaker than an intel. They are incomparable, an 8 core (I know its just a load of bullshit) compared to a "hyper threaded 4 core". Its just two different stories. Sometimes its just a specific part.
m
l
October 25, 2013 2:16:30 PM

Raffi,

I have the same issue as you have. I've recently bought a new computer with
Intel i5-3570 3.4 3.8 GHz
NVidia GTX 650 Ti,
8 RAM

and all was fine. I ran ARMA 3 and got 40-60 fps on High with max resolution.
Then the strange things began - I do not know, if a new video driver 3.31 caused all this, but now ARMA has 5 fps on the same settings. I've tried to reinstall drivers multiple times, stopped Windows Update, but with no success.

Did you solve this problem? I think I will reinstall Windows if the things will be as they are
m
l
October 25, 2013 2:26:44 PM

Nothing wrong with the CPU btw. I run Metro 2033 with the FX-8320 and the HD 7950 boost at max(except AA) with ~55-60 FPS at 1920x1080. I know its a stronger GPU, but that just reinforces my point.

@ the OP. What kind of psu do you have? Insufficient power problem maybe?
m
l
!