Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time build [PROBLEM]

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 11, 2013 8:46:07 PM

Well i have been at this build for a while (4 hours *phew* ) but have managed to finish it all! Yay..... BUUT for some reason i have a problem with the i/o shield and it seems to be blocking my access to the ethernet port on the motherboard. Now Was i meant to break the pins beforehand or something cause i have no Idea why its there! #NoobProblems.

More about : time build problem

June 11, 2013 8:47:33 PM

What do you mean by break the pins...? That's generally never a good idea on anything electrical :p 
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2013 8:50:25 PM

koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:51:46 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
What do you mean by break the pins...? That's generally never a good idea on anything electrical :p 


I have posted a photo link to the problem!
It's just that sqaure bit of metak coming out from the I/O shield :heink: 
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:53:03 PM

That looks like a strange ethernet cable... Might it be a better idea to use a different one? Either that or as dannyboy says, the motherboard might be mis-seated... :) 

Edit: Ahhh... I see. Those should actually go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly aligned. They're used to prevent the I/O shield from moving when stuff is plugged in...
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:53:51 PM

koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
What do you mean by break the pins...? That's generally never a good idea on anything electrical :p 


I have posted a photo link to the problem!
It's just that sqaure bit of metak coming out from the I/O shield :heink: 


I don't see a square bit of metal... Could you point that out please? Perhaps I just have terrible eyes :p 
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:54:30 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.

The I/o shield seems to be A-ok AND regarding the MB...i aligned with the proper ATX screws and fastened :/  Now could that be a problem..?

I know this might sound Nooby but will i need to take the MB off and try and fix it while all the cables are plugged in..?

Or will i need to take everything off and RE-START?!!? :pfff: 
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:55:32 PM

koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.

The I/o shield seems to be A-ok AND regarding the MB...i aligned with the proper ATX screws and fastened :/  Now could that be a problem..?

I know this might sound Nooby but will i need to take the MB off and try and fix it while all the cables are plugged in..?

Or will i need to take everything off and RE-START?!!? :pfff: 


If you know that it is seated properly, then no you won't have to take it off. Like munchbot said, there is a chance that you have a faulty cable...
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:56:56 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
What do you mean by break the pins...? That's generally never a good idea on anything electrical :p 


I have posted a photo link to the problem!
It's just that sqaure bit of metak coming out from the I/O shield :heink: 


I don't see a square bit of metal... Could you point that out please? Perhaps I just have terrible eyes :p 


LOL here is a Paint Edited Copy xD < http://postimg.org/image/s9rjq3y0z/ >
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 8:58:03 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.

The I/o shield seems to be A-ok AND regarding the MB...i aligned with the proper ATX screws and fastened :/  Now could that be a problem..?

I know this might sound Nooby but will i need to take the MB off and try and fix it while all the cables are plugged in..?

Or will i need to take everything off and RE-START?!!? :pfff: 


If you know that it is seated properly, then no you won't have to take it off. Like munchbot said, there is a chance that you have a faulty cable...


I have this Weird feeling It might Be the Mb :( 
m
0
l

Best solution

June 11, 2013 8:58:53 PM

The little metal things are supposed to go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly seated. They're used to make sure the I/O shield doesn't fall out when you plug stuff in. Bending one away for the ethernet port probably won't be a huge problem, but be warned. I would check to see if the motherboard and I/O shield are properly seated and installed first, wouldn't want to break stuff. :) 
Share
June 11, 2013 9:02:43 PM

Munchbot said:
The little metal things are supposed to go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly seated. They're used to make sure the I/O shield doesn't fall out when you plug stuff in. Bending one away for the ethernet port probably won't be a huge problem, but be warned. I would check to see if the motherboard and I/O shield are properly seated and installed first, wouldn't want to break stuff. :) 


So I have to remove the 9 ATX screws for this Motherboard and Re-jiggle it in..? Also i'm not sure if my Cpu STOCk intel Fan is on right :/  i feel it will fall out from one of the hinges as it feels slightly loose #TooManyProblems :/ 
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:08:31 PM

koolbhoy said:
Munchbot said:
The little metal things are supposed to go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly seated. They're used to make sure the I/O shield doesn't fall out when you plug stuff in. Bending one away for the ethernet port probably won't be a huge problem, but be warned. I would check to see if the motherboard and I/O shield are properly seated and installed first, wouldn't want to break stuff. :) 


So I have to remove the 9 ATX screws for this Motherboard and Re-jiggle it in..? Also i'm not sure if my Cpu STOCk intel Fan is on right :/  i feel it will fall out from one of the hinges as it feels slightly loose #TooManyProblems :/ 


I would try that before trying to bend stuff, also check about the I/O shield being seated properly. If it's already late, I would wait until the next day, wouldn't want to mess up because or tiredness like I once did... :p 
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:15:02 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.

The I/o shield seems to be A-ok AND regarding the MB...i aligned with the proper ATX screws and fastened :/  Now could that be a problem..?

I know this might sound Nooby but will i need to take the MB off and try and fix it while all the cables are plugged in..?

Or will i need to take everything off and RE-START?!!? :pfff: 


If you know that it is seated properly, then no you won't have to take it off. Like munchbot said, there is a chance that you have a faulty cable...


Munchbot said:
koolbhoy said:
Munchbot said:
The little metal things are supposed to go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly seated. They're used to make sure the I/O shield doesn't fall out when you plug stuff in. Bending one away for the ethernet port probably won't be a huge problem, but be warned. I would check to see if the motherboard and I/O shield are properly seated and installed first, wouldn't want to break stuff. :) 


So I have to remove the 9 ATX screws for this Motherboard and Re-jiggle it in..? Also i'm not sure if my Cpu STOCk intel Fan is on right :/  i feel it will fall out from one of the hinges as it feels slightly loose #TooManyProblems :/ 


I would try that before trying to bend stuff, also check about the I/O shield being seated properly. If it's already late, I would wait until the next day, wouldn't want to mess up because or tiredness like I once did... :p 

definately dont :D 
I think the i/o shield is in right, its Tight Even and comes out as much as possible from all sides.

though i think you might be right with the motherboard not sitting snug with the i/o shield. So see when i undo the screws and try and redo the motherboard to the i/o shield, do i try and get that square bit of metal On top of the Ethernet as opposed to in front of and blocking the entry into the port? *If you know what i mean :p * also one of the USB3.0 is also blocked so same treatment then yeh..?


m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:18:26 PM

koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:
dannyboy2233 said:
koolbhoy said:


This is the problem...:( 


Make sure your motherboard is properly seated. There is a chance that the ports are not lining up properly with the I/O shield. Also, make sure your I/O shield is seated properly.

The I/o shield seems to be A-ok AND regarding the MB...i aligned with the proper ATX screws and fastened :/  Now could that be a problem..?

I know this might sound Nooby but will i need to take the MB off and try and fix it while all the cables are plugged in..?

Or will i need to take everything off and RE-START?!!? :pfff: 


If you know that it is seated properly, then no you won't have to take it off. Like munchbot said, there is a chance that you have a faulty cable...


Munchbot said:
koolbhoy said:
Munchbot said:
The little metal things are supposed to go in between the ports when the motherboard is properly seated. They're used to make sure the I/O shield doesn't fall out when you plug stuff in. Bending one away for the ethernet port probably won't be a huge problem, but be warned. I would check to see if the motherboard and I/O shield are properly seated and installed first, wouldn't want to break stuff. :) 


So I have to remove the 9 ATX screws for this Motherboard and Re-jiggle it in..? Also i'm not sure if my Cpu STOCk intel Fan is on right :/  i feel it will fall out from one of the hinges as it feels slightly loose #TooManyProblems :/ 


I would try that before trying to bend stuff, also check about the I/O shield being seated properly. If it's already late, I would wait until the next day, wouldn't want to mess up because or tiredness like I once did... :p 

definately dont :D 
I think the i/o shield is in right, its Tight Even and comes out as much as possible from all sides.

though i think you might be right with the motherboard not sitting snug with the i/o shield. So see when i undo the screws and try and redo the motherboard to the i/o shield, do i try and get that square bit of metal On top of the Ethernet as opposed to in front of and blocking the entry into the port? *If you know what i mean :p * also one of the USB3.0 is also blocked so same treatment then yeh..?




Yes.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:22:48 PM

Munchbot said:

Yes.


Ok Then. Time to open up the RIG and try and fix the Ethernet Port. Will report Back whenever i get a solution xD

P.S Thanks for your help guys :love: 


m
0
l
June 11, 2013 9:27:52 PM

I am no expert but judging from the grainy picture that you posted it looks like the ports all line up correctly. The problem seems to be you did not bend the small square clips back on the I/O plate towards the case when you put in your motherboard. That is what that small square piece (shown in front of one of your usb ports) looks like that is blocking you plugging in all of your peripherals.
I have only built about 5 systems but on about 3 of them I had to bend some or all of the very small, flimsy "teeth" back in order to seat the motherboard properly in the case. (without me bending them - carefully - my motherboard would not be flush on the brass standoffs keeping it in the case.
Munchbot sounds on the money. But before you do anything inside the case, of course you are going to shut down your system and disconnect the power cable before you open it up to work right?
You should heed his advice since it already sounds like you have to fix the motherboard anyway since your description of the CPU fan makes it sound as if one or more of the CPU fan pushpins did not go all of the way through the hole in the motherboard possibly leaving it loose.
Don't worry though, this is only your first build. The next ones will be easier.
m
0
l
June 11, 2013 10:02:17 PM

sjankis630 said:
I am no expert but judging from the grainy picture that you posted it looks like the ports all line up correctly. The problem seems to be you did not bend the small square clips back on the I/O plate towards the case when you put in your motherboard. That is what that small square piece (shown in front of one of your usb ports) looks like that is blocking you plugging in all of your peripherals.
I have only built about 5 systems but on about 3 of them I had to bend some or all of the very small, flimsy "teeth" back in order to seat the motherboard properly in the case. (without me bending them - carefully - my motherboard would not be flush on the brass standoffs keeping it in the case.
Munchbot sounds on the money. But before you do anything inside the case, of course you are going to shut down your system and disconnect the power cable before you open it up to work right?
You should heed his advice since it already sounds like you have to fix the motherboard anyway since your description of the CPU fan makes it sound as if one or more of the CPU fan pushpins did not go all of the way through the hole in the motherboard possibly leaving it loose.
Don't worry though, this is only your first build. The next ones will be easier.


Thanks! Just managed to fix this. Everything was fine, it was just like you said! Took me 20 minutes to do! Well pleased now that i can finally enjoy the build!

Yes, i unplugged everything, held the power button in for 5 seconds, then wore my grounded wrist strap (Grounded through connection to the water pipe :p  , through a lead which is relayed through wires and finally to the strap *Extra Careful* :D  ) As a safety touched PSU and Case many times while doing the FIX!

Tbh i think its just the Stock intel cooler mount. I've never felt one before but im sure it's in right now :p  Still feels rubbish tbh wouldn't put my money ON IT holding the weight of the motherboard though :D 

But Yeh...SuperDuper Thanks to Y'all much appreciated and i'm sure my future builds willl be much simpler LOL
m
0
l
!