i3 2100 to i5 3750k Problem

kushism420

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I recently upgraded my i3 2100 to a i5 3750k.

When I went to go turn it on after installing the new chip, I got 4 beeps and then it shut down. I went ahead and checked all the wires and made sure it was plugged in. Same result.
Nothing appears on screen, all fans turn on for about 3 seconds, then turns off.

Plugged in the old i3, worked perfectly.
Tried updating my bios. Same result

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Is the CPU faulty?

My motherboard is a h61m-p21

Thanks!

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

4 beeps are system timer failure, which usually means your newly installed HW is not compatible.
So it seems like your mobo doesn't like IB...
Dat link>
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-P21--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS

kushism420

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks for the quick responses

How do I go about installing that file? It says use USB pen only, I'm guessing that's through the bios correct?

Sorry guys. I'm very new to flashing through bios

MungoDragons

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

Hi - in case you are still out there... wondering if you could confirm how you upgraded the BIOS. I have a H61M-P21 which I need to update with 7680vJ0.zip (to support an Ivy Bridge i5) but am a bit nervous. All that is contained in the zip package is an exe file which I understand is to be launched in Windows from a USB stick but I've found a few threads on the internet from people getting "file not found" errors after the update process restarts and being left in limbo with potentially bricked boards. It would be nice to hear at least one person who said it worked ok for them before I give it a go! I've asked for clarification from MSI support but their responses have been a little on the vague side.

Cheers,
MD

EDIT - For the benefit of anyone else who needs to know, I have now successfully upgraded the BIOS on my MSI H61M-P21(B23) to the revision required to support Ivy Bridge CPUs (http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7680vJ0.zip). The zip file contains a single executable which you extract and copy to a USB stick. Run the file in Windows (I am running Windows 10) from the USB. On execution it will create some other files on the USB necessary for the upgrade and you will get a couple of confirmation screens to click through before the upgrade occurs. During the upgrade your PC will restart and there are warnings not to remove the USB. When it was all done I had one problem - after the upgrade my PC would not boot back in to Windows, I was getting an "inaccessible boot device error". The solution was to reset the PC and enter the BIOS setup where I had to reconfigure the disk controller mode from IDE to AHCI. Then everything started up fine. I shut down, inserted the new Ivy Bridge CPU and was up and running.