Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How is the GTX 770 as good, if not better than the HD 7970 GE?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
June 12, 2013 1:54:36 PM

I am rather confused about the 770 and 7970 GE, how is the 770 keeping up?

HD 7970 GHz Edition
PCIe 3.0 x16 - 3072MB RAM - Bandwidth 288GB/s - 384bit Bus Width - 2048 Shaders - 128 TMUs - 32 ROPs

GTX 770
PCIe 3.0 x16 - 2048GB RAM - Bandwidth 224.3GB/s - 256bit Bus Width - 1536 Shaders - 128 TMUs - 32 ROPs


I know the RAM doesn't really come into play until you are running Eyefinity across three or more monitors but, in almost all other aspects, on paper at least, the 7970 seems as though it should eat the 770 for breakfast but, obviously I am wrong. Where is it's performance coming from?

More about : gtx 770 good 7970

a c 80 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 2:01:01 PM

Anonymous said:
I know the RAM doesn't really come into play until you are running Eyefinity across three or more monitors

Actually, that's the amount of RAM. The bandwidth does come into play at lower resolutions, though to a lesser extent. AA increases the importance of memory bandwidth.

Anyway, you forgot clocks, but they're basically identical between the GTX 770 and HD 7970 GHz. The difference is in how much work each shader can do per clock cycle. Drivers and game coding also plays a part.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2013 2:03:45 PM

Sakkura said:
Anonymous said:
I know the RAM doesn't really come into play until you are running Eyefinity across three or more monitors

Actually, that's the amount of RAM. The bandwidth does come into play at lower resolutions, though to a lesser extent. AA increases the importance of memory bandwidth.

Anyway, you forgot clocks, but they're basically identical between the GTX 770 and HD 7970 GHz. The difference is in how much work each shader can do per clock cycle. Drivers and game coding also plays a part.


See, I heard clock speed weren't really that big a deal :-P
I just wish I understood it better, I am looking to purchase one of the two and I just don't want to pick the wrong one
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 257 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 2:07:43 PM

You can not directly compare any part of the 2 cards since they are completely different architectures. It's like comparing apples to bricks.

As to which one to buy the performance is roughly equal. The GTX 770 is cheaper but the AMD card comes with the game bundle.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2013 2:09:52 PM

anort3 said:
You can not directly compare any part of the 2 cards since they are completely different architectures. It's like comparing apples to bricks.


I guess that makes sense? So 1536 Nvidia Shaders are roughly as powerful as 2048 AMD Shaders?

m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 2:19:59 PM

Anonymous said:
See, I heard clock speed weren't really that big a deal :-P
I just wish I understood it better, I am looking to purchase one of the two and I just don't want to pick the wrong one

Clocks are a big deal, that's why overclocking is a big deal. But the thing is clocks, just like the number of shaders or cores, aren't well suited for comparisons between different architectures. But the same GPU at different clocks, that definitely matters.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 2:21:15 PM

The performance comes from Drivers and optimizations. Their architectures are completely different as their approaches, we see in raw non-gaming performance benchmarks where the Tahiti destroys Kepler. This is not true in gaming however, since developers have to code and work with AMD/Nvidia to get their Software to run on their tech.
m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 2:24:16 PM

Anonymous said:
anort3 said:
You can not directly compare any part of the 2 cards since they are completely different architectures. It's like comparing apples to bricks.


I guess that makes sense? So 1536 Nvidia Shaders are roughly as powerful as 2048 AMD Shaders?


Kinda. At least during this generation. And mainly in gaming. AMD usually gets more performance per shader when you use the GPU for scientific calculations (except in some cases where the drivers or applications are very poorly optimized - this happens a lot with gaming GPUs).
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 12, 2013 3:16:44 PM

Sakkura said:
Anonymous said:
anort3 said:
You can not directly compare any part of the 2 cards since they are completely different architectures. It's like comparing apples to bricks.


I guess that makes sense? So 1536 Nvidia Shaders are roughly as powerful as 2048 AMD Shaders?


Kinda. At least during this generation. And mainly in gaming. AMD usually gets more performance per shader when you use the GPU for scientific calculations (except in some cases where the drivers or applications are very poorly optimized - this happens a lot with gaming GPUs).


So does all this mean that, if AMD manage to sort their driver issues out, the 7970 will be better than the 770? Or will improvements have to wait until the next generation of card. I just need the one I choose to purchase to last as long as possible.

I plan on running two/three 1080p monitors, possibly in Eyefinity but much more likely as an extended display so I could have, for instance; a game, Skype and my web browser on each screen.

m
0
l
a c 257 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 3:25:32 PM

The 7970 drivers are as good as they are going to get. That card has been out a year and a half. The GTX 770 on the other hand although based heavily on the 680 has 7Ghz VRAM and I can see driver optimizations for it coming out for some time to come. If anything it will just get faster as drivers are able to make use of the faster VRAM.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 80 U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 5:29:42 PM

Anonymous said:
So does all this mean that, if AMD manage to sort their driver issues out, the 7970 will be better than the 770? Or will improvements have to wait until the next generation of card. I just need the one I choose to purchase to last as long as possible.

I plan on running two/three 1080p monitors, possibly in Eyefinity but much more likely as an extended display so I could have, for instance; a game, Skype and my web browser on each screen.


General performance probably isn't going to improve any more with the 7970. They can still improve on their frame time variance, and particularly Crossfire (using more than one card).

The GTX 770 won't really improve either, since it's simply an overclocked GTX 680.

Which one to pick is debatable. I'd lean toward the 7970, but the GTX 770 is fine too.
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2013 10:01:40 AM

Sakkura said:
Anonymous said:
So does all this mean that, if AMD manage to sort their driver issues out, the 7970 will be better than the 770? Or will improvements have to wait until the next generation of card. I just need the one I choose to purchase to last as long as possible.

I plan on running two/three 1080p monitors, possibly in Eyefinity but much more likely as an extended display so I could have, for instance; a game, Skype and my web browser on each screen.


General performance probably isn't going to improve any more with the 7970. They can still improve on their frame time variance, and particularly Crossfire (using more than one card).

The GTX 770 won't really improve either, since it's simply an overclocked GTX 680.

Which one to pick is debatable. I'd lean toward the 7970, but the GTX 770 is fine too.


Thanks for all your help mate! I just have one more guestion; what is GPU Compute Performance? From what I have read the 770s is awful in comparison to the 7970s. What exactly does this performance do?
m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 5:49:16 PM

GPU compute performance is the performance you get when using the GPU (graphics card) for other calculations than those involved in rendering graphics (in a game). Like Folding@Home which can use the GPU to simulate the folding of proteins, for scientific research purposes.

There are two main ways to use a GPU for calculations - OpenCL and CUDA. CUDA is owned by Nvidia and only works with their GPUs. OpenCL is open to anyone, but AMD tends to perform better than Nvidia with OpenCL. And the 7970 is a lot more powerful than the GTX 770 for GPU compute in general.
m
0
l
!