Solved

Help Picking Cables for New Build! :)

Hey guys and gals. I am ordering all of the following parts via ebay and amazon (best prices, even better than what PCPARTPICKER found me).

Total for the parts is 573.18 including shipping. My max budget is 630 dollars including shipping. All i am missing for my latest build is some sleeved cables, but i am a bit confused on which ones to purchase for my build. (I am going for a red black and white theme, so i would like to get white cables and red cold cathodes!)

Please help me select the correct sleeved cables for this build. Enough that will hide all of the normal multi-colored cables.. I want a sleek looking case since the one i picked has a side panel window. Please i beg of you to help me!

(Also, if you know, ilthe mobo i picked is quite cheap, yet fulfills all of my needs. Wondering if it is a decent one for the price. Ill only have the computer for a year before i sell it and purchase a laptop)

I know its a long list, but if you have cable knowledge please give me a hand! Thanks everyone.

PSU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAIDMAX-RX-500AF-Continuous-500-watts-ATX-12V-v2-3-EPS-12V-SLI-Ready-CrossF-/290929911624?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item43bcc62748

RAM/MEMORY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-X-Series-4GB-2-x-2GB-240-Pin-DDR3-SDRAM-DDR3-1333-PC3-10/380658202086?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16098%26meid%3D8339153436237661402%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D7683%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D200932324105%26

CPU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i3-i3-3220-3-30Ghz-3G-LGA1155-CPU-Processor-SR0RG-/300829213939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460ad184f3

GPU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIS-H785F1G2M-Radeon-HD-7850-1GB-256-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-x16-HDCP-Rea-/290929932083?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item43bcc67733

MOTHERBOARD - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Biostar-H61MLV2-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard-/171057669298?pt=Motherboards&hash=item27d3d4e4b2

HARDDRIVE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-500GB-WD5001ABYS-01YNA0-DCM-HBRNHT2MH-7200RPM-3-5-RECERTIFIED-/111095104472?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item19ddc8c3d8

CASE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NZXT-Source-210-S210-001-Black-Aluminum-Brush-Plastic-ATX-Mid-Tower-Compu-/380658214539?pt=US_Computer_Cases&hash=item58a0ff668b

DVD DRIVE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-TS-H353-Black-Internal-SATA-16x-DVD-ROM-Drive-BRAND-NEW-FAST-SHIP-/151048540449?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item232b31d121

LIQUID COOLING - http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Kuhler-H2O-620-Liquid/dp/B004LWYE4Q/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371097965&sr=8-2&keywords=lga1155+liquid+cooling

THERMAL PASTE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ZALMAN-ZM-STG1-Brush-Type-Thermal-Grease-Paste-Compound-/130717258533?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item1e6f5b1325

CASE LIGHTS (COLD CATHODES) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGISYS-COLD-CATHODE-LIGHT-KIT-WHITE-/181102511683?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item2a2a8d0643
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about picking cables build
  1. first of all, careful with buying from ebay and be sure to check the return policy on each item. while most sellers are pretty good you don't want to run into the bad one. I must remind you that computer parts are very fragile electronics, and while most of them are supposedly tested when they left the factory, parts still arrive DOA (not often, but happens often enough to be a concern).

    also, you're clearly going for a budget build here, so don't bother with the Antec AIO liquid cooling loop, it'll get you the same temperatures as this guy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Contact-Heatpipes-RR-T4-18PK-R1/dp/B00BSKY1M4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371100876&sr=1-3&keywords=cooler+master+hyper+212+evo

    I think the motherboard's ok

    if you're going to buy thermal paste, go for the premium stuff. otherwise any CPU cooler you buy, such as the hyper 212 evo, will come with it's own tube of thermal paste.

    as for the motherboard you picked, the 6-series chipset is for Sandybridge and you're getting an ivy-bridge CPU. :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

    I would step up to at least this motherboard. beginner builders always cheap out on motherboards simply because they don't understand what to pick, but the motherboard is the one thing that ties your ENTIRE SYSTEM together. a crappy motherboard will give you crappy performance...
    http://www.amazon.com/MSI-LGA1155-MicroATX-Motherboard-B75MA-E33/dp/B008KW62WK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371101146&sr=1-2&keywords=asrock+b75

    Otherwise, step down to sandy bridge, and try to get an i5 2400 for cheap. and find a cheap H61 motherboard.

    this is the cheapest I can find... the bios may be a bit difficult to work with
    http://www.amazon.com/ECS-Elitegroup-MicroATX-Motherboard-H61H2-MV/dp/B00B981088/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371101307&sr=1-4&keywords=H61+motherboard
  2. Thanks, this is my second build! My last one i used an asrock h77m motherboard which was great. As far as ebay, i have tons of buying and selling experience so i know what to look for! :) the liquid cooling i am getting because i like the look of it, and want to keep my pc as quiet as possible. So i am going to stay with it. Would you recommend me getting the asrock h77m again and settling for a cheaper 7850 to compensate for the more expensive mobo? I also need to get the cable sleeves, as this is a must for me. I usually dont sacrifice performance for looks, but in this case i will. What would your choice be?

    P.s. thanks for helping me!!
  3. sodapop707 said:
    Thanks, this is my second build! My last one i used an asrock h77m motherboard which was great. As far as ebay, i have tons of buying and selling experience so i know what to look for! :) the liquid cooling i am getting because i like the look of it, and want to keep my pc as quiet as possible. So i am going to stay with it. Would you recommend me getting the asrock h77m again and settling for a cheaper 7850 to compensate for the more expensive mobo? I also need to get the cable sleeves, as this is a must for me. I usually dont sacrifice performance for looks, but in this case i will. What would your choice be?

    P.s. thanks for helping me!!


    you're welcome, and glad to hear that you have some experience.

    and yes, I would definately recommend going with asrock for a h77m mobo. the better bios layout will make your life much easier and asrock has an excellent reputation with builders around the world.

    as for the graphics card, going with a cheaper (probably reference) card would be fine. normally I would say it's a bit louder, but the 7850 isn't a warm card at all, and I think a custom fan profile would make it just fine.

    oh, and double check if the antec cooler comes with it's own thermal paste. there's a good chance that it does
  4. Fantastic! Thank you so much! Now i only have the one unresolved question, of which cables to buy! I want to order from anywhere with cheap or free shipping. Can you pretty please with a cherry on top tell me which sleeved cables i will need to purchase if i use the msi ATX mobo? Think i am going to go with that one since the sata ports on the h77m are in a ridiculous spot.
  5. sodapop707 said:
    Fantastic! Thank you so much! Now i only have the one unresolved question, of which cables to buy! I want to order from anywhere with cheap or free shipping. Can you pretty please with a cherry on top tell me which sleeved cables i will need to purchase if i use the msi ATX mobo? Think i am going to go with that one since the sata ports on the h77m are in a ridiculous spot.


    both silverstone and NZXT offer nice sleaved cable extension kits to make your build look beautiful. however they're a bit on the expensive side (round $20-30 for a kit I believe). outside of that, you can probably do the sleaving on your own. worse case, wrapping it in black electrical tape could work as a poor-man's sleeving and won't look too bad if you do it right
  6. I know about both of those! :) but i didnt know they offered them in kits :o

    If i were to buy them individually i am assumig i would need a power 24pin atx, vga, and 4/8 pin for the mobo attatchment right? Now what really confuses me is which sata ones to buy. Like, the ones that go from the back of the dvd drie and hard drive. :? Any idea on which to pick up? A link would be EXTREMELY helpful. Sorry i am asking for so much, i am still a geek in training :)
  7. Best answer
    sodapop707 said:
    I know about both of those! :) but i didnt know they offered them in kits :o

    If i were to buy them individually i am assumig i would need a power 24pin atx, vga, and 4/8 pin for the mobo attatchment right? Now what really confuses me is which sata ones to buy. Like, the ones that go from the back of the dvd drie and hard drive. :? Any idea on which to pick up? A link would be EXTREMELY helpful. Sorry i am asking for so much, i am still a geek in training :)


    this would cover eveything you need:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00812RPG6

    and you're right, you need a 24pin atx, 1 4/8pin CPU power, and 1-2 PCIe cables (only 1 for 7850).

    as for sata cables, something like this would cover all the sata ports:
    http://www.amazon.com/CB-SATA-44P-Individually-Sleeved-Premium-750-700-650-600mm/dp/B003ZDNY02/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371138500&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+sata+cable

    and this should power all your drives in pretty black sleeving:
    http://www.amazon.com/CB-43SATA-Singled-Sleeved-Premium-Connector/dp/B0036ORCIU/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371138540&sr=1-15&keywords=nzxt+sata+power+cable

    These are of course recommendations for the ideal case. best of luck hunting down cheap ones :)

    also, don't feel bad about asking questions, ask them now before you buy stuff and waste your money. I did plenty of that back in the day.
  8. Wow thank you so much! :) ill poke around the web and try and find some cheap cables. Im aure i can find some that are a cheap brand or something. I think i am going for a black blue and white theme :D

    Once again i really appreciate it!! Im sure i will be back with more questions ^-^
  9. sodapop707 said:
    Wow thank you so much! :) ill poke around the web and try and find some cheap cables. Im aure i can find some that are a cheap brand or something. I think i am going for a black blue and white theme :D

    Once again i really appreciate it!! Im sure i will be back with more questions ^-^


    If you have a local microcenter, they'll sometimes have cheaper, no-brand cables. but they're only a dollar o two cheaper. so if it's a long drive to get there it's not worth it
  10. Unfortunately i live a long ways away from one of those. But i can find generics on ebay, only problem is they ship from hong kong... so i think i am going to have to stick with the branded ones and fork out the extra cash
  11. ignore ^

    Okay, so here is what i have come up with, i am buying this motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130654

    And i only see a 24 pin connector, and a 4pin cpu connector. SO i need those two cables, as well as a VGA cable for the GPU, and i also need a sata to molex that will work for a dvd drive, and single HDD. Lastly, i will need the sata data cables that will work for both the HDD and DVD drive. So, with that in mind, how does this combination of cables look?

    24PIN POWER CABLE: http://www.amazon.com/24P-W-Singled-Sleeved-24-Pin-Premium/dp/B003TO51LC/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    SATA/MOLEX CABLE: http://www.amazon.com/42SATA-W-Singled-Sleeved-Premium-Connector/dp/B003TO51M6/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371149246&sr=1-2&keywords=nzxt+2+sata
    (Will that be enough room between sata connectors to connect both a DVD and HARDDRIVE? Or will i probably have to have one under another? OR should i buy the one that has 3 sata's for the extra room?)

    SATA DATACABLE: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB40006-Latching-Right-Angled-Connector/dp/B002G1YNPY/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371148996&sr=1-10&keywords=sata+cable+right
    (two of these)

    CPU CONNECTOR CABLE: http://www.amazon.com/8-Pin-Motherboard-Premium-Power-Extension/dp/B003TSCZRQ/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371149104&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+white+power
    (this has 8 pins, the mobo only has 4, so would i just plug in 4 and leave the other 4 pins tucked away?)

    VGA: http://www.amazon.com/6-Pin-Premium-Extension-Cable-White/dp/B003TSCZS0/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371148615&sr=1-8&keywords=white+sata+cable

    I just want to be absolutely positive so that i dont waste money since i am already on a budget! :P These seem expensive since they arent in the pack, but unfortunately i cant find NZXT's cable kit in white :(
  12. ^ Yup, that should be a reliable motherboard, and those are the correct cables

    the 8-pin thing for CPU is really to provide additional power for overclocking the top-end parts (such as i5 3570K). since that motherboard doesn't support overclocking anyway, it only comes with a 4-pin jack, and you would just plug in 4 and leave the other 4 tugged away (it's why the 8-pin header is split on the cable).

    as for the length of the SATA cables, if you look up images of the NZXT Source 210 case, you'll see that the harddrive bays are directly under the 5-inch bays for the DVD drive, and it's a mid-tower sized case so the overall dimensions aren't huge. I think the cables you selected will be just fine. worse case I would put the DVD drive on the bottom most 5-inch bay and the harddrive right beneath it.

    and honestly you're spending a ton to make the build pretty considering all the cost cutting you're doing on the parts lol. but I understand where you're coming from
  13. vmem said:
    ^ Yup, that should be a reliable motherboard, and those are the correct cables

    the 8-pin thing for CPU is really to provide additional power for overclocking the top-end parts (such as i5 3570K). since that motherboard doesn't support overclocking anyway, it only comes with a 4-pin jack, and you would just plug in 4 and leave the other 4 tugged away (it's why the 8-pin header is split on the cable).

    as for the length of the SATA cables, if you look up images of the NZXT Source 210 case, you'll see that the harddrive bays are directly under the 5-inch bays for the DVD drive, and it's a mid-tower sized case so the overall dimensions aren't huge. I think the cables you selected will be just fine. worse case I would put the DVD drive on the bottom most 5-inch bay and the harddrive right beneath it.

    and honestly you're spending a ton to make the build pretty considering all the cost cutting you're doing on the parts lol. but I understand where you're coming from


    Awesome. I am ordering the parts on Monday :)

    Here is my finalized list of components! I barely squeezed by my 650 budget with a total cost for everything including shipping of $641.58!

    And as far as the whole build goes, my last one was nearly identical, and cost me 600 flat, but wasn't as clean as i wanted. So thats why i am investing in some cable extensions to clean up the inside and give it a nice theme.
    See here is my last build:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8463050239_6235864ee7_c.jpg
    Oh so Clean - Feb 2013 by WLSphotography, on Flickr

    But now that I am building a nearly identical build, plus the sleeved cables and better 7850, i think that this will be worth the extra money :) I am making this build as sleek and simple looking as possible with as much white as i could find. (note the PSU, its reliable, and WHITE! :D)

    PSU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAIDMAX-RX-500AF-Continuous-500-watts-ATX-12V-v2-3-EPS-12V-SLI-Ready-CrossF-/290929911624?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item43bcc62748

    RAM/MEMORY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-X-Series-4GB-2-x-2GB-240-Pin-DDR3-SDRAM-DDR3-1333-PC3-10/380658202086?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16098%26meid%3D8339153436237661402%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D7683%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D200932324105%26

    CPU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i3-i3-3220-3-30Ghz-3G-LGA1155-CPU-Processor-SR0RG-/300829213939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460ad184f3

    GPU - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIS-H785F1G2M-Radeon-HD-7850-1GB-256-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-x16-HDCP-Rea-/290929932083?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item43bcc67733

    MOTHERBOARD -http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-B75MA-E33-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard-/281117818500?pt=Motherboards&hash=item4173ed7e84

    HARDDRIVE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-500GB-WD5001ABYS-01YNA0-DCM-HBRNHT2MH-7200RPM-3-5-RECERTIFIED-/111095104472?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item19ddc8c3d8

    CASE - http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Source-210-ELITE-Midtower/dp/B005869IUY/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371152592&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+210+white+elite

    DVD DRIVE - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-TS-H353-Black-Internal-SATA-16x-DVD-ROM-Drive-BRAND-NEW-FAST-SHIP-/151048540449?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item232b31d121

    LIQUID COOLING - http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Kuhler-H2O-620-Liquid/dp/B004LWYE4Q/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371097965&sr=8-2&keywords=lga1155+liquid+cooling

    CASE LIGHTS (COLD CATHODES) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-TWO-12-BRIGHT-COLD-CATHODE-COMPUTER-CASE-NEON-LIGHT-TUBE-KIT-CCFL-WHITE-/160790175771?pt=US_Computer_Case_Accessories_Tool_Kits&hash=item256fd7601b

    CABLES -
    24pin atx: http://www.amazon.com/24P-W-Singled-Sleeved-24-Pin-Premium/dp/B003TO51LC/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    sata/molex for dvd drive/hdd: http://www.amazon.com/42SATA-W-Singled-Sleeved-Premium-Connector/dp/B003TO51M6/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371149246&sr=1-2&keywords=nzxt+2+sata

    sata data for dvd/hdd (2x): http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB40006-Latching-Right-Angled-Connector/dp/B002G1YNPY/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371148996&sr=1-10&keywords=sata+cable+right

    cpu connection: http://www.amazon.com/8-Pin-Motherboard-Premium-Power-Extension/dp/B003TSCZRQ/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371149104&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+white+power

    vga/gpu cable: http://www.amazon.com/6-Pin-Premium-Extension-Cable-White/dp/B003TSCZS0/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371148615&sr=1-8&keywords=white+sata+cable
  14. wow, that is one clean machine... you sure are a man for asthetics :)

    oh, and fun profile pic you got there lol
  15. I have over correctional disorder so it comes natural along with a spotless apartment hehe.

    Those are my ladies ;) muahaha.

    Hey thanks for helping me resolve all of this. Selected best answer for ya! :)
  16. sodapop707 said:
    I have over correctional disorder so it comes natural along with a spotless apartment hehe.

    Those are my ladies ;) muahaha.

    Hey thanks for helping me resolve all of this. Selected best answer for ya! :)


    all I can say is don't get a windowed case :p but in all honesty truly good work. I've never been able to bring myself to build such a neat system (though I try my best and stop when I get bored). I have been planning to build a high-end water cooled system sometime at the end of this year (we'll see how Ivy-bridge E series go), and there I just might go through the trouble of handsleeving all my cables etc.

    I'm sure your cleanliness helps with the ladies. honestly I can't stress enough to some of my friends that while a guy can be a bit messy, you hit a limit at some point where you just turn people away lol.

    thanks for best answer, and let's keep in touch on the forums... I'm interesting to see how that build turns out
Ask a new question