HD 6870 not working, hard crashes (Win8)

supern4ut

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Executive summary: on normal use my GPU is *always* at 0% activity and when doing anything graphics related (run a game/benchmark, update drivers) my PC hard reboots. Using lastest drivers on Windows 8 Pro x64. I've already tried switching between beta and stable drivers while on Windows Safe mode and even reinstalling the OS.

Specs:
CPU - AMD FX 8320
Mobo - Asus M5A97 R2.0
Graphics - Sapphire HD 6870 1GB
RAM - Adata XPG 2.0 1600MHz 2x4GB
HDD - Hitachi 7200rpm 500GB
PSU - Thermaltake TR2 500W

Hi, first time poster here c: I'm having a hard time working this out. Right now I'm thinking it's a hardware failure (either PSU or graphics card), but I'm not really sure so here's the situation:

A couple weeks ago I had my rig running fine. Played FC Blood Dragon, Metro LL on (close to) highest settings. Then I was forced to reinstall Windows 8 (unrelated) and problems began. I installed the lastest stable drivers/CCC and I repeatedly got BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and UNHANDLED_THREAD_EXCEPTION on atikmdag.sys. Had a couple more problems, but installing all Windows updates and the AMD beta drivers (only drivers, no CCC) seemed to work. With that I was able to run games and I even tried bitcoin mining for a while (5 hours top, nothing too extreme). Then my current problem showed up. Now I can't even watch an HD vid and sometimes I also get some screen tearing during normal use.
Might be worth mentioning that the lights went out during a storm recently, although as the computer is plugged to a UPS, it did shutdown normally.

I'd really apreciate your help or any tips you could give me. Thanks!

Solution
This may not be the solution, but I have had issues with installations of Win 8. Once, Metro failed to work properly, another the desktop was funky. With my current installation, it seems to be stable except when I updated my video driver (Nvidia) and had to roll back the Win 8.

Before concluding it to be hardware, I'd refresh Win 8, and if that doesn't work do a clean install.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
This may not be the solution, but I have had issues with installations of Win 8. Once, Metro failed to work properly, another the desktop was funky. With my current installation, it seems to be stable except when I updated my video driver (Nvidia) and had to roll back the Win 8.

Before concluding it to be hardware, I'd refresh Win 8, and if that doesn't work do a clean install.

Solution

supern4ut

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

So I just reinstalled Windows and... it worked. I haven't done extensive testing, but it seems to be working fine. Perhaps the issue was caused by a Windows update (haven't updated on this installation) or some driver conflict. Anyway thank you very much, I was scared I would have to replace some hardware. Thanks again!