Best Sub $850 Barebones Gaming PC Options

zbell

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Back story: I recently sold my old Dell XPS 17 desktop replacement laptop and I'm trying to use that money to most efficiently purchase the best gaming desktop PC I can afford.

My question is what's the better deal? I want to spend $850 for everything (except monitor):
(1) Buy something like a Dell 8500 (or new 8700) for $650-$750 and upgrade the GPU, Power Supply, and maybe RAM.
(2) Buy a good barebones PC and use the rest of my money for upgrades.

If you think a barebones PC is the way to go, do you have any recommendations on a good model and the best hardware available for a reasonable price? I want to use this computer for gaming and video/photo editing, so I'm really looking for relatively high-end stuff.

Thanks!

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Is there a reason you don't want to simply build your own from parts?

You can buy all the parts you need, and end up with a much better computer for the money. (Essentially, you're saving the cost of labor and customer service)

If you're willing to build up from a barebones or prebuilt, why not go all the way? :)

I advocate this site as a guide: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

zbell

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Estix,

Thanks for the response and that link looks very useful. I guess im just worried about messing up. Are there many hardware compatability issues when buildiing a PC? Do you have any suggestions for the best websites to find parts? I'm partial to dealnews.com, but i know slickdeals.com lists a good amount of hardware. Also, i noticed computer tower casings range in price quite dramatically. Is there anything specific there i should be looking for in terms of space and ventilation?

Thanks for your help!

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

I don't know much about deals sites, can't really help there.

You really don't have to worry about compatibility beyond size - everything is highly standardized - and if you do use the website I linked to, the builds are going to be compatible.

Anyways, the short, simple answer is to pick a set of parts, then make a new thread with your parts list for us all to check over :)