Sign in with
Your question

$1,200 Next Gen Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2013 12:08:21 PM

After the nuclear meltdown that was the Xbox One reveal, and my deep hatred for Sony in general, I have decided to go full PC gaming.

I have waited for Haswell to release and be tested before posting a revised build, and have decided to not go with a Haswell. Too many heating problems for only about 10% more processing seems not worth it to me.

Here is my current PC build, revised once or twice, and I need suggestions, comments, or telling me I did it horribly wrong to help me refine it to a point I'm happy with. My current budget is $1,200, give or take $20 of leeway. I mean for this PC to run "next gen" games (Battlefield 4, GTA V, etc.), so the main goal is to run those on medium-high settings at a good FPS.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($47.56 @ Amazon)
Total: $1214.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 14:58 EDT-0400)

I have some overall questions about PC building and things I would like answered:
-What is a good GHz to overclock the CPU to for max efficiency and good temps.
-Will all of my parts fit inside the Rosewill Challenger?
-Will my PSU stand up to overclocking and general use; is 80 Plus Bronze certification good enough
-Do I need to replace the stock case fans, or are they good enough for a little overclocking
-Are all RAM sticks basically the same (Like are all of DDR3-1600 relatively similar)
-Would a small (60ish Gb) to put my OS on, or is it not worth the money?
-Is the Caviar Blue a good balance between price, performance, and noise? Or is the Caviar Black better?
-Cherry MX Blue switches are the clicky ones in keyboards like the BlackWidow right? I may want to splurge on such a keyboard.
-Any better motherboards I could use. If so why are they better.

Notes for anyone who wants to post a build:
-I would greatly prefer a modular PSU to help with cable management
-The monitor I have selected is the one I'm getting; My friend has a rig with 3 of them and it's amazing.
-Windows 7 Home Premium is my OS of choice.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me.

More about : 200 gen gaming

June 13, 2013 12:28:34 PM

Well ps4 for 400$ would be the best price/performance
Power would be equivalent to a hd 7850/7870 which is quiet a lot.

However this is a solid build. Over budget ....
750w psu capable to sli, modular ( you may want to make a tripple screen setup like your friend... 550w for 1 gpu will be plenty.)
I5-4670k is better
Gtx 770 will able to play almost everything on max.
That asus screen ips , better choice

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1362.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 15:24 EDT-0400)

Or just change your cpu into a i5-4670k and z87 ~110$ motherboard.
Hd 7950 would be enough for med->max. Settings
m
l
June 13, 2013 12:28:59 PM

Phonics74 said:
After the nuclear meltdown that was the Xbox One reveal, and my deep hatred for Sony in general, I have decided to go full PC gaming.

I have waited for Haswell to release and be tested before posting a revised build, and have decided to not go with a Haswell. Too many heating problems for only about 10% more processing seems not worth it to me.

Here is my current PC build, revised once or twice, and I need suggestions, comments, or telling me I did it horribly wrong to help me refine it to a point I'm happy with. My current budget is $1,200, give or take $20 of leeway. I mean for this PC to run "next gen" games (Battlefield 4, GTA V, etc.), so the main goal is to run those on medium-high settings at a good FPS.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($47.56 @ Amazon)
Total: $1214.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 14:58 EDT-0400)

I have some overall questions about PC building and things I would like answered:
-Will my PSU stand up to overclocking and general use; is 80 Plus Bronze certification good enough
-Do I need to replace the stock case fans, or are they good enough for a little overclocking
-Are all RAM sticks basically the same (Like are all of DDR3-1600 relatively similar)
-Is the Caviar Blue a good balance between price, performance, and noise? Or is the Caviar Black better?
-Cherry MX Blue switches are the clicky ones in keyboards like the BlackWidow right? I may want to splurge on such a keyboard.

Notes for anyone who wants to post a build:
-I would greatly prefer a modular PSU to help with cable management
-The monitor I have selected is the one I'm getting; My friend has a rig with 3 of them and it's amazing.
-Windows 7 Home Premium is my OS of choice.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me.

Everything looks pretty solid, however since you said you are looking to play next gen games, the 7950 might not be able to max out settings. It will still be able to play everything mind you, but you may have to lower details in some of the more demanding games in the future. If you can stretch your budget a little bit I would hihgly recommend a 7970 or a gtx 780 (780 being the superior choice among the 2). That being said if you are ok with playing with a few detail setting set to mid you should be ok with 7950.

Also going with haswell will definitely give you more gaming performance in almost every game, but will increase the cost of your build too.

On the PSU front, although the 520W should be enough for you, going for a 600W may be advisable especially if you are looking for high overclocks.

Ill try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge

-The sweet spot overclock depends on many factors, most importantly the chip you get. Every chip will OC to diff frequencies with diff voltages. It also depends on your ambient temps and the cooling in your case. You will have to tinker with your own OC and settle with whatever speed that you are comfortable with load temps. I personally always use Intel chips but a few of my frnds use the 8350 and have easily OCd to 4.8 with low load temps. This ofc will vary from person to person.

-Yes all your parts will fit inside your case as far as I can tell.

-Seasonic is probably the best brand for PSUs that you can get. 520W should be enough if you decide to go with the 7950 and will leave you with some Overclocking headroom. However a 600W is advised especially if you switch to a 7970 or a gtx 780.

-Replacing stock fans is again a matter of what you can achieve with your setup and whether you are happy with it. As a rule of thumb performance fans will always give you better performance than what ships with the case, but then again the performance you get from stock fans might be enough for you. You will have to find this out for yourself and buying fans can be done afterwards as well.

-I dont know if I am understanding your question properly, but yes all RAM within the same specs are relatively similar. They will mostly differ in the latencies and OC you can achieve with them.

-SSD will hasten your boot times and is worth it if you really want that. They will also hasten loading times if you install your games on it. They have no effect on frames per second.

-Caviar Blues are fine.

-Yes, cherry mx blue are clicky.

-The motherboard you selected is adequate for single gpu setups.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2013 12:32:32 PM

That all looks very good but I can only answer a couple of your questions. First, I have mine at 4.5 Ghz just barely over the stock voltage (I'm at 1.34v) and it's stable under high loads, and it idles around 33C (ambient of 25C). All of your parts should fit in that case. If I were you I would go with a slightly more powerful PSU, around the 700W range. Stock fans should be fine for overclocking. RAM are pretty similar as long as they are the same specs. A SSD is worth it, but if it doesn't fit into your budget don't worry about it. Also the blue is a fine HDD, it's very similar to the black.
m
l
June 13, 2013 12:39:09 PM

1. 7950 3GB will max out everything @ 1080p
2. considering the new APUs in the PS4 and crapboxone, i think that the 8 core 8350 will be more future proof than the i5 that other suggested considering that newwer games gonna be capable to run on all 8 cores :) 
The rest looks preety fine, ah, almost forget, the PSU looks a bit weak... I dont like to have a load close to 90% on the PSU. I suggest a min of 650W PSU. Maybe you will add the new 200W TDP CPU to your build in the future :D 
m
l
June 13, 2013 12:49:39 PM

crisan_tiberiu said:
2. considering the new APUs in the PS4 and crapboxone, i think that the 8 core 8350 will be more future proof than the i5 that other suggested considering that newwer games gonna be capable to run on all 8 cores :) 
The rest looks preety fine, ah, almost forget, the PSU looks a bit weak... I dont like to have a load close to 90% on the PSU. I suggest a min of 650W PSU. Maybe you will add the new 200W TDP CPU to your build in the future :D 

OP would def not be able to 'max' out everything. Crysis 3 Benchmark

~30FPS (on a factory OC card too) is definitely not considered a smooth experience. It is playable however. Besides OP wants this machine to play next gen games and given that next gen consoles are based on x86 architecture, expect console ports to not be the flimsy compromises they used to be in the past. They will be pretty demanding especially with UE4 in the picture now.

Like i said before, he will definitely be able to play everything on the 7950, even max out most games. Just that he wont be able to max out every game and this number will increase with next gen titles.

You do make a good point about AMD APUs being used in the new consoles though. However the fx 8350 being based on piledriver architecture and the APUs based on Jaguar, im not sure that it will have much of an effect. Speculating at this point.
m
l
June 13, 2013 1:10:54 PM

crisan_tiberiu said:

Nothing will make a PC more future proof than another. And I say never plan for the future because you'll never be satisfied with the hardware you have. Plan for now with the ability to upgrade. The FX-8350 is way overhyped. Most games really only use about two cores, the rest is offloaded to the GPU. Only very few games will use multiple cores and hyper threading but there's always exceptions. The chip that's going in the XBOX One and PS4 is nothing more than an overly glorified AMD APU. Essentially it's a step above the hardware that's in all in one machines like a iMac. But nothing will beat the sheer processing power of a dedicated CPU and GPU. Until consoles have that option they will never compare to PCs.

This is what I would get for $1200:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($167.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($287.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1086.72
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 16:10 EDT-0400)

Then add whatever monitor, keyboard, and mouse you want.

Quote:

To answer these:

1. Really about 4.5, anything over requires changes in the voltage and will likely cause system instability.
2. Yes but you can get a better case on your budget.
3. Yes
4. I wouldn't recommend paying tons of money for fans. You can always add those as needed.
5. Pretty much give or take. They for the most part come off the same assembly line in Taiwan.
6. No. Get a 128GB minimum. Anything less barely holds an OS these days. You can always add one in later.
7. It's cheap. It gets the job done. That's all that matters.
8. Don't pay tons of money for a keyboard initially. Get a cheap one and put more into your CPU and GPU.
9. See above.
m
l
June 13, 2013 1:14:49 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
Well ps4 for 400$ would be the best price/performance

You're a funny person.

As for the debate of maxing games or not, I'm perfectly fine with playing medium-high(er) settings. I don't need to see the atoms that make the bullets I'm firing. As for the PSU, I will probably go to a 600 watt to keep a nice buffer.
m
l
June 13, 2013 1:24:22 PM

Quote:

As for the debate of maxing games or not, I'm perfectly fine with playing medium-high(er) settings. I don't need to see the atoms that make the bullets I'm firing.

That is an incredible statement.

EDIT: fail at quoting...

Fixed. - G
m
l
!