Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer restarting, even a technician couldn't fix it!

Last response: in Components
Share
June 13, 2013 12:40:42 PM

Computer restarts every time i play league of legends (this is the only game i play). It could either restart 10 mins in a game or i could play for 4 hours straight and it would restart. Bottom line is that it restarts everyday.

I brought it in to a computer repair guy. It took them 3 days, they said all my hardware was fine and it wasn't overheating. They found root kits but that's it and removed them. I upgraded to SSD also because he recommended since my HDD was like 5 years old. So i come back home, i get windows 7 reinstall setup it up and im all happy.

Download League of Legends, drivers and other essentials. Get into a game boom 10 mins in computer restarts. Im so mad right now. Could it be one of my usbs? Should i plug my computer into the wall outlet instead of a power bar? I dont know what to do i just want to play without my computer restarting every hour



SPECS:
AMD A8 5600k
ATI Radeon hd 5670
3gb ddr3 ram
windows 7 32 bit ultimate
ULTRA 600w power supply
I have razer deathadder and blackwidows expert.
I have a Netgear n600 wireless n usb.
June 13, 2013 12:45:45 PM

Wow, a 600W PSU for that?

Starting to imagine whether the possibility of the PSU being the problem

because it can't supply such a low amount of wattage, is feasible.

Because then your hardware would qualify as "fine" and you could

remove all the malware you want, but maybe the hardware isn't balanced.

I'm no PSU expert quite yet though, so I can't say.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 12:46:24 PM

"ULTRA 600w power supply"
That sounds like the PSU, especially since it is a no-name brand.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 13, 2013 12:49:01 PM

My money is on a faulty psu, try replacing it. Its very easy to do yourself. Most random restarts are due to a power issue.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 12:51:59 PM

Also - "They found root kits but that's it and removed them."

Multiple root kits?
1. How did that happen?
2. Are you absolutely sure all of them are gone?
3. Have you changed all of your passwords to any site you go to?
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 12:53:35 PM

USAFRet said:
Also - "They found root kits but that's it and removed them."

Multiple root kits?
1. How did that happen?
2. Are you absolutely sure all of them are gone?
3. Have you changed all of your passwords to any site you go to?


I reinstalled windows, and i just did a rootkit and malware scan. No viruses at all.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 1:06:12 PM

its that no name power supply. replace that, and your "computer guy".
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 2:01:10 PM

any technician worth his salt should've concluded the issue was likely the PSU (especailly after eliminating other possibilities).
get a new PSU, and a new technician.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 2:07:07 PM

Branden said:
any technician worth his salt should've concluded the issue was likely the PSU (especailly after eliminating other possibilities).
get a new PSU, and a new technician.


And make that more like a 300W 80+ certified one or so.

If you have any concerns/questions just pose them and we'll be here.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 3:07:25 PM

X79 said:
Branden said:
any technician worth his salt should've concluded the issue was likely the PSU (especailly after eliminating other possibilities).
get a new PSU, and a new technician.


And make that more like a 300W 80+ certified one or so.

If you have any concerns/questions just pose them and we'll be here.

Ok when i have the money i will.
m
0
l
June 13, 2013 9:04:38 PM

Im getting Event ID 41 Kernel Power, does the PSU cause this?
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 8:06:52 AM

Jacob Amaral said:
Im getting Event ID 41 Kernel Power, does the PSU cause this?


that just means your computer shut down improperly due to power interruption. it's typically due to things like blackouts or tripped breakers, but in your case it's due to the your PSU.
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 8:12:18 AM

Branden said:
Jacob Amaral said:
Im getting Event ID 41 Kernel Power, does the PSU cause this?


that just means your computer shut down improperly due to power interruption. it's typically due to things like blackouts or tripped breakers, but in your case it's due to the your PSU.


Ok, im going to get a Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2, http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3... . Is that sufficient for my system?
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 11:12:25 AM

Jacob Amaral said:
Branden said:
Jacob Amaral said:
Im getting Event ID 41 Kernel Power, does the PSU cause this?


that just means your computer shut down improperly due to power interruption. it's typically due to things like blackouts or tripped breakers, but in your case it's due to the your PSU.


Ok, im going to get a Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2, http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3... . Is that sufficient for my system?


that psu will work fine with your setup
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 11:17:29 AM

corsair PSUs are okay, but not great.
remember: you get what you pay for. the reason your PSU sucks is because you (or your technician) skimped on it, don't go cheap this time.

if you can spare a bit more $ i'd suggest the antec EA-500.
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 6:33:22 PM

Branden said:
corsair PSUs are okay, but not great.
remember: you get what you pay for. the reason your PSU sucks is because you (or your technician) skimped on it, don't go cheap this time.

if you can spare a bit more $ i'd suggest the antec EA-500.


Cant really spare anymore, how long do you think that Corsair will last me? I used the computer about 40 hours a week. Also i didnt list my motherboard which is a Gigabyte a75m d3h.
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 6:40:04 PM

Jacob Amaral said:
Branden said:
corsair PSUs are okay, but not great.
remember: you get what you pay for. the reason your PSU sucks is because you (or your technician) skimped on it, don't go cheap this time.

if you can spare a bit more $ i'd suggest the antec EA-500.


Cant really spare anymore, how long do you think that Corsair will last me? I used the computer about 40 hours a week. Also i didnt list my motherboard which is a Gigabyte a75m d3h.


I have that same PSU. It has been on 24/7 for 9+ months without a burp. So at your use that would be about 3 years so far.

It will last years. Or die next week. But probably years.
m
0
l
June 14, 2013 6:56:27 PM

USAFRet said:
Jacob Amaral said:
Branden said:
corsair PSUs are okay, but not great.
remember: you get what you pay for. the reason your PSU sucks is because you (or your technician) skimped on it, don't go cheap this time.

if you can spare a bit more $ i'd suggest the antec EA-500.


Cant really spare anymore, how long do you think that Corsair will last me? I used the computer about 40 hours a week. Also i didnt list my motherboard which is a Gigabyte a75m d3h.


I have that same PSU. It has been on 24/7 for 9+ months without a burp. So at your use that would be about 3 years so far.

It will last years. Or die next week. But probably years.


Sweet, getting it tomorrow then i can finally play without restarts.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 5:47:22 PM

Well back to square one, got my new power supply and it restarts around 30 mins. I want to kill myself.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 6:52:22 PM

Please don't go that far! Try opening the side of the case and using a standard room or desk fan to blow air on your components, especially while you are gaming. I suspect your computer tech. didn't try any long term gaming when he worked on it, or perhaps he was working in a cooler environment (think air conditioning). If it doesn't crash, then the problem is cooling and air flow. You may have already tried this, you haven't said and no one else commented on it so thought I would throw the idea out there. Hope it helps.
m
0
l
!