Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asking for advice on a first custom PC build

Last response: in Components
Share
June 15, 2013 3:28:59 AM

(sorry if my english is bad)

Hi I'm building my first custom PC and i want to make sure if the parts are compatible with each other. So the parts are as follows:

CPU: AMD Vishera FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (Black Edition)

MOBO: AM3+ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0)

GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Flex 3GB 384bit GDDR5

RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 8gb 4gbx2 DDR3 1866 CL9

HDD: Internal Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 32MB, ST31000524AS (SATA 6 Gb/s)

PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ Series 850W 80Plus Bronze Modular

CD Drive: DVDrw Internal Asus 24X DVDwriter SATA DRW-24B5ST

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R3, Black

Also please tell me if i have to replace something and what should i replace them with. Thanks in advance!

More about : advice custom build

June 15, 2013 7:01:08 AM

Looks fine.

I'd replace 1866 RAM with 1600.

I'd also lower the PSU wattage.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 9:03:22 AM

Also get a 1TB Seagate Barracuda but with 64 MB of cache and Fractal R4 instead of R3. Also I don't think that Sapphire 7950 Flex is a very cheap option unless you're planning on a triple monitor setup.

And include an aftermarket CPU cooler.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 15, 2013 10:12:02 AM

X79 said:
Looks fine.

I'd replace 1866 RAM with 1600.

I'd also lower the PSU wattage.



im actually planning to run a xfire 7950 in the future instead of buying a new graphics card. is the 850w too much or can i go with a 650-750?

m
0
l
June 15, 2013 10:13:25 AM

I guess 850W might be fine then. Also leaves some room for the PSU to degrade in.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 10:15:27 AM

hizodge said:
Also get a 1TB Seagate Barracuda but with 64 MB of cache and Fractal R4 instead of R3. Also I don't think that Sapphire 7950 Flex is a very cheap option unless you're planning on a triple monitor setup.

And include an aftermarket CPU cooler.


sadly the r4 is not yet available in our country and what version of the sapphire 7950 should i get? here there's only like 5$ difference between the three (Dual X, Flex and OC)
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 10:17:03 AM

X79 said:
I guess 850W might be fine then. Also leaves some room for the PSU to degrade in.


Thanks, X79 :) 
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 10:50:29 AM

No worries. Though I'm not an authority on PSUs, so it's a guestimate.

You're welcome to ask one of the PSU experts though. They'll likely recommend

a lower wattage I imagine.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 10:55:08 AM

If there's only a $5 difference then Flex will do just fine. With PSUs, it's better to get a more expensive higher quality unit, than something that's cheap and has more wattage. I suggest you take a look at Seasonic Platinum/Gold, Silverstone Strider Gold and Corsair AX 2nd generation lines of power supplies.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 11:01:44 AM

hizodge said:
If there's only a $5 difference then Flex will do just fine. With PSUs, it's better to get a more expensive higher quality unit, than something that's cheap and has more wattage. I suggest you take a look at Seasonic Platinum/Gold, Silverstone Strider Gold and Corsair AX 2nd generation lines of power supplies.


There's rarely any reason to get such highly rated ones...

If your electrical bill is expensive though, then it can be worth it.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 11:17:15 AM

Probably not, but when you get a 7 year warranty on a product these days, it just spells quality to me... In solid platinum letters. Not to mention they are fully modular and practically 100% silent even under extremely heavy loads. Also they don't 'degrade' or drop in wattage as easily some mere mortal PSUs often tend to.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 11:41:28 AM

As if you can't get fully modular PSUs which aren't "platinum" and silent.

If you can afford it, sure, go for the platinum ones.
m
0
l
!