Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP Compaq DC5000 MT won't boot up with new SATA hard drive

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 15, 2013 7:21:56 AM

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my PC. It won't boot up when I installed a new hard drive into it.
June 15, 2013 7:28:16 AM

I would go into your bios and check the boot order. It's quite likely your pc is trying to boot from the new hard drive.
m
0
l
June 15, 2013 3:15:29 PM

pauls3743 said:
I would go into your bios and check the boot order. It's quite likely your pc is trying to boot from the new hard drive.


So I change it so it boots from CD-ROM?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 15, 2013 4:45:15 PM

I'm assuming you're still runnning your operating system from the old hard drive. When you installed the new hard drive you possibly interrupted the hard drive boot order and I'm suggesting you change which hard drive boots first.
m
0
l
June 16, 2013 2:28:18 PM

pauls3743 said:
I'm assuming you're still runnning your operating system from the old hard drive. When you installed the new hard drive you possibly interrupted the hard drive boot order and I'm suggesting you change which hard drive boots first.


Oh no, I'm trying to boot it with a new hard drive because I got this PC without one
m
0
l
June 16, 2013 3:48:36 PM

Um, this might sound really daft but have you installed an operating system onto your new hard drive?
m
0
l
June 16, 2013 4:40:51 PM

pauls3743 said:
Um, this might sound really daft but have you installed an operating system onto your new hard drive?


Nope I have not, how will I do that?
m
0
l
June 16, 2013 5:42:17 PM

Googled your system. HP reports it as being a pentium 4 at best and lists drivers for Windows 2000, XP and Vista. Windows 7/8 may work but I don't know. You can also try linux.

Anyway, get an operating system installation disc. You can either buy a Windows disc or download a ISO image and burn it to disc.
Change the boot order so the DVD-ROM boots first.
Insert the disc into the dvd drive and follow the installation instructions.
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 1:47:28 PM

pauls3743 said:
Googled your system. HP reports it as being a pentium 4 at best and lists drivers for Windows 2000, XP and Vista. Windows 7/8 may work but I don't know. You can also try linux.

Anyway, get an operating system installation disc. You can either buy a Windows disc or download a ISO image and burn it to disc.
Change the boot order so the DVD-ROM boots first.
Insert the disc into the dvd drive and follow the installation instructions.


Okay. I think I'm just going to go with Windows Vista and go from there. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it. If I run into problems I'll let you know?
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 1:13:20 PM

Now I'm having problems with "BOOTMGR is missing" showing up on my screen.
m
0
l
June 20, 2013 6:40:44 PM

At what point is it showing up? When you boot from the installation disc or when you try to boot from the hard drive?
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 6:22:10 PM

pauls3743 said:
At what point is it showing up? When you boot from the installation disc or when you try to boot from the hard drive?


When I boot from the installation disk
m
0
l
!