i7 3770 and Asetek 510LC water cooling hit 100C

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Hello. I've purchased a desktop PC around half a year ago and enjoyed its performance so far. But not so long ago I started experiencing heating problem, to be more precise CPU heating problem. I know that regular temperature for CPU should be under 50C while idling and not more than 75C during extensive activity such as gaming. My CPU temperature hits 100C while I play Battlefield 3 for example. I did a stress test and Prime95 software and fully loaded CPU hits 100C point as well. I know this is extremely harmful for a hardware so I need your help with this.
I didn't experience any heating issues before and it started around a week ago.
Here I give you a link to a screenshot I took during prime95 stress test. The same result I get when try to play.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/StMalk/Fullscreencapture616201310251PM.jpg

As you see CPU temperatures are critically high and I believe I can only damage my PC if I keep using it.
The fan that is on the back panel that needs to cool radiator seems to rotate at the same speed no matter how high the temperature is. I don't see any visual difference between 46C and 100C. And it always stays around 1200-1300 rpm and there's no way I can change it.
Also, when I start stress testing temperature goes up from 45 to 85 in a second! And when I stop it it falls from 100 back to 55 in a second as well.

And also when I try to change CPU fan speed it SpeedFan it's not changing, doesn't matter if it's set to 0% or to 100%, it's always around 1200-1300 rpm. Weird. Considering that SySFan speed is changing perfectly.

Please I hope you can help me out with this issue.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
that "pump" on the processor is basically the cooler for the CPU. You have 2 coolers, 1 to cool the CPU (witch has a either copper base contact surface with the CPU or other metal) and the radiator for the water (second cooler),
Dumb question, you checked that you still have water in the system? :D

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Not dumb at all. Because I didn't. Because I don't have any idea how to do it, cooling system doesn't have anything on it, no sensors, nothing and I can't go inside and feel the tubes because of warranty. Plus on the website of Asetek they tell this system doesn't need to be refilled.

First thing to do would be to clean the radiator, not much air is going to flow if its filled with dust.
From there, re-mounting the block (the thing on the CPU) and appling some new paste would be your next move.

Beyond that, you would have to assume that your cooler is faulty in some way. Its possible that the pump has degraded, or for some reason is running at a slow speed*. Replacing the cooler with something else is pretty much your only option.

* Its possible the pump is connected to the CPU fan header rather than the radiator fan, thats why your not seeing any difference in fan speed. However, you would be changing the RPM of the pump (a pump is very similar to a fan once you get down to it) which would be affecting flow, which would affect performance. Try maxing out the CPU "Fan" in Speedfan.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Ok guys, here's what I found out. Yes, probably CPU fan in speedfan is in fact a pump that's why I can't change it. But the 120mm fan that is attached to radiator on a back panel is probably that second System Fan in SpeedFan. And its speed is around 730 rpm max. I can lower it but there's no way I can bring it to 2000 rpm or 3000 rpm to make it efficient. What do you think, why is it only 730 rpm slow?

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I opened the case and started checking out the pump. It starts vibrating when I turn a PC on. One of tubes vibrates too, the other one not. A fan is working. What do you think? Thermal paste issue or not?

Seems like its working, vibration is a tendency of mechanical parts.
Though who knows if its running as intended.

Try changing the paste (making sure you clean off the old stuff with an alcohol based cleaning fluid, I'v used White or Methylated Spirits before). If the issue still happens, you can be reasonable sure its something to do with the cooling system itself.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Ok, I removed a pump and discovered a CPU generously covered with thermal compound. It's not dry, very fresh looking and is applied both to CPU and pump. I'm not sure it could be the issue then, very strange, but anyway now I think I have to clean it off and reapply a new one. I have Arctic Silver 5.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Ok, here we go. Applied fresh thermal paste, checked the fan -120 mm - working, checked tubes and pump - vibrating and getting hot. When I turned the PC on, I clearly heard water starting flowing inside the system.
Done some testing in Prime95 here's a result.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/StMalk/Fullscreencapture6172013123552PM.jpg

As you see core temperature remains around 95C, but CPU temperature in SpeedFan is 57C. Here's another question, maybe I'm just retarded and core temperatures are supposed to be like that and it's CPU temperature that matters?

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Also, I have another idea, maybe it's thermal paste UNDER heatspreading plate of CPU? I mean under that small metal lid?
Maybe it dried out and I have to cut off that metal lid and reapply thermal paste there?

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Guys, I think the problem is not with cooling. I need to remove IHS from processor. CPU temp is 50 but core is 95. It means there's no heat transition between cover and chip.

CPU and Core temps refer to different things, and there can be a large delta between them.
CPU temp is based off a sensor built into the mobo socket underneath the chip, Core temp is based off sensors built into the CPU cores themselves. There can be a big difference between the two, because they refer to different things.

Before you go to the extent of de-lidding your chip, I would try just replacing the cooler. Slap something like a 212 EVO in it, see if you get better temps. Before you go to the extent of taking a hammer or razor blade (both viable methods of delliding) to your CPU.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Too late lol. I took a blade a cut that lid off. Even scratched a green surface a bit and was really anxious if it would start again. There was dry cement instead of fresh paste beneath it. I cleaned everything out, reapplied AS5, put everything together and did a stress test. Now core temps were 85, instead of 95. While gaming though they dropped to 73, instead of 95. I don't even know if I should ask for a replacement of cooling unit now. I also ordered simple Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm fan to add to the radiator, so it's gonna be a fan, a radiator and a fan again now.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Btw what's the difference between Hyper 212 Evo and Hyper 212 Plus? Why everyone recommends Evo instead of Plus? For example as far as I know I can buy Plus instead of Evo and install 2 fans on it. One stock fan and one I can take from a radiator and put it on the other side of Hyper 212 Plus. What do you think?

The EVO has a baseplate with better contact between the CPU and copper heatpipes.

Basically this.
212 EVO
13_thumb.jpg

212+
bottom_thumb.jpg

The EVO comes with a better fan as well I believe.

Drought

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

yeah its definitely that, there would be no reason for such a high temp.

stmalk

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Ok guys, I'm really tired of it, but that's just insane. I received my Hyper 212 Evo and installed it. I added 2nd fan to make push pull movement of the air plus one more fan on the back panel to pull everything out. Did stress test in Prime95, got 85-90C in cores and 30C while idling. Is goddamn 3770k laughing at me or what? I remind you, I delidded it, applied fresh paste on chip, fresh paste on CPU and now installed all this cooling. Air coming from case is a bit warm not even hot! Guys, I'm really confused. I just think that 90C is normal temperature for i7 3770k, that's what I think