ATI Radeon 7970 vs Nvidia GTX 670 and 770

Hello,
I've decided that I need a new graphics card. Right now I've got a Gigabyte gtx 650 ti and I want to play most games on max. I'm choosing between the ATI Radeon 7970, Nvidia GTX 670 and GTX 770. The price difference between the 7970 and 670 is $15 (670 4gb is $10 more than the 2gb) and the 770 costing $535. Is it worth the extra money and what card is the best out of those?

Radeon 7970:
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/ati-7970-3gb-gigabyte-pcie-video-card-pn-r797oc-3gd

GTX 670:
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/nvidia-gtx670oc-4gb-gigabyte-pcie-video-card-pn-n670oc-4gd

GTX 770:
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/nvidia-gtx770-2gb-gigabyte-pcie-video-card-pn-gv-n770oc-2gd

Thanks,
Lachlan
17 answers Last reply
More about ati radeon 7970 nvidia gtx 670 770
  1. Is that the only place you can purchase graphics cards cuz thats an overpriced 770 its only 412$ here . With those prices the 7970 is your best choice by far in performance and money
  2. firo40 said:
    Is that the only place you can purchase graphics cards cuz thats an overpriced 770 its only 412$ here . With those prices the 7970 is your best choice by far in performance and money

    Yeah I'm from Australia and the 2 retail stores I've checked are around $500-$550
    So I should get the 7970?
    Thanks,
    Lachy
  3. Yeah youll get near the performance of the 770
  4. firo40 said:
    Yeah youll get near the performance of the 770

    Alright thanks,
    and is gigabyte the best vendor? My Gigabyte GTX 650 TI never goes above 45 degrees celcius.
    Thanks,
    Lachy
  5. The 670 and 7970 are equal, and the 770 is a good step above.
  6. Look at toms review on the 770. In single card configurations the 7970 is almost equal to the 770 in most games its not worth over 100$ more for the 770
  7. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-4.html the 7970 gets 1 fps more then the 770 in bf3 even so your post is very wrong
  8. Haha yeah I was just reading that.
    This looks like the better valued card here:
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/ati-7970-3gb-asus-pcie-video-card-pn-hd7970-dc2-3gd5-up-to-6-monitors
    Free Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite as well. Although it doesn't list the psu requirement but I only have a 475 watt right now so I will need to get at least 650 watt anyway.
  9. yeah i would definatly get the 650w to be safe only buy seasonic xfx antec or corsair for reliable psu's
  10. firo40 said:
    yeah i would definatly get the 650w to be safe only buy seasonic xfx antec or corsair for reliable psu's

    Yeah what about this Thermaltake for $100?
    http://www.computeralliance.com.au/700-watt-thermaltake-litepower-power-supply
  11. THG makes it clear

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519.html

    Techpowerup makes it clearer

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/27.html
    Stock 770 has 5% performance advantage over 7970 Ghz edition

    Stock 770 has 16% performance per dollar advantage over 7970 Ghz edition
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/29.html

    And you can use two of them in SLI..... CF not an option right now
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-benchmarking-frame-rate,3466.html
  12. JackNaylorPE said:
    THG makes it clear

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519.html

    Techpowerup makes it clearer

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/27.html
    Stock 770 has 5% performance advantage over 7970 Ghz edition

    Stock 770 has 16% performance per dollar advantage over 7970 Ghz edition
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/29.html

    And you can use two of them in SLI..... CF not an option right now
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-benchmarking-frame-rate,3466.html

    Hmm well the 770 is quite expensive at $535 and I just read a review on the ASUS 7970
    (http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/11/asus_hd_7970_directcu_ii_video_card_review/1#.Ub5Mevn-GA8) and it looks like a good card when overclocked.
    Thanks,
  13. I just measured how much space I have for the Asus 7970. The current one I have now is 3.2cm high (Sorry if wrong dimension name) and the Asus 7970 is 5.3 cm high. It takes up 3 slots and I will only have about 0.8 to 1 cm left for the air. Is this to squeezed in or will it be fine?
    http://imgur.com/a/igXP0
    Thanks,
    Lachy
  14. I'm curious why you have apparently ruled out the less expensive, but very nice Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce. There certainly are plenty of reasons to consider that card, PhysX being one, lower power consumption, better drivers, and quieter operation being others. It costs less, and according to TechPowerUp, has a few percentage points performance on the 7970.

    By the way, I'm seeing the usual confusion between the 7970 and 7970 GHz edition with performance results getting thrown about as if they are equal, which tends to confuse the comparisons.
  15. It also occurred to me that you should at least wait until June 25th when the GTX 760 is released. It will beat the 7970 and GTX 670, but cost more around the price of a 7950/GTX 660 Ti.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia ATI Graphics Gtx Graphics Cards Radeon