Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Current specs:

FX-6350
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
G.skill 2x4gb 1866
thermaltake toughpower 700w
Asus 5850 directcu

Been thinking about replacing my 5850 recently as I want to be able to max out BF3 and run Skyrim completely modded out (ENB + high res texture mods) with good frames. I can almost max out BF3, but I am limited by Vram with Skyrim.

I decided that the 7950 is the best way to go for me; the question is... which one?

I don't care about water cooling, so PCB type doesn't matter in that regard. Overvolting isn't necessary, but it sure would be nice as I will be keeping this card for atleast 4-5 years.

Was thinking of getting the vapor X, but there is a ton of confusion related to this card. I have no idea what type of memory/vrm cooling it has or whether they are voltage locked or not. Its like they have gone through a ton of revisions.

Was also considering the HIS iceqx2 as it seems to be considered the best, but I find it hard to swallow the 40-50 dollar premium. As that leaves it 20 bucks shy of the cheapest 7970.

I wanted to avoid the reference cards too because in my experience, those types of cards always have loud inefficient cooler on them.

Someone steer me in the right direction please.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

See, this is what I am talking about. There is a lot of confusion surround the vapor x, its ridiculous. So the 3L found on newegg is NOT voltage locked?

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

The reasoning I wanted to go with the 7950 was for the 3 gigs of ram, figured that would keep the card more useable for a longer period of time compared to the 660. Also, not to sound totally idiotic, but I would like to keep my system fully amd (brothers comp is intel/NVidia, wanted to have different stuff). Also, two of the games in the bundle I would actually play, so in a sense, it is actually a bit cheaper. I would try and sell the other two codes to get some money back.

TRENDING THREADS