Solved

$630 Gaming Build

I am looking to build a gaming pc as my current one is starting to become obsolete and I thought it was time for an upgrade. My max budget, as stated above, is $630. I primarily will be using it for gaming, but will also use it for music storage and video editing, along with internet browsing. I would be interested in overclocking if I could fit it into my budget. The same with sli, but that would come later in the future. I would like it to have usb 3.0 onboard also. My only preference is that my simulator tends to run better with nvidia cards. I am not near a micro center, so I (sadly) can't get in on the discounts in store. I live in the US, and my monitor resolution is 1920x1080. Any ideas?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 630 gaming build
  1. Do you need an OS and/or other peripherals?
  2. Madn3ss795 said:
    Do you need an OS and/or other peripherals?


    Oh, forgot to include that! I need a OS, the rest of the peripherals I already have.
  3. Feel free to blame for not being a system with nvidia GPU, but 7870XT - after OC-ing - can reach the performance level of a GTX660ti ( can't get a 660ti cuz it'll go 30$ over your budget ).

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $608.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-17 08:25 EDT-0400)
  4. Madn3ss795 said:
    Feel free to blame for not being a system with nvidia GPU, but 7870XT - after OC-ing - can reach the performance level of a GTX660ti ( can't get a 660ti cuz it'll go 30$ over your budget ).

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $608.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-17 08:25 EDT-0400)


    Ok! I see that it doesn't have a nvidia gpu, but it being that powerful, hopefully it wont make that much of a difference. I am getting 20 fps with a 7300 gs currently, so it should work outstanding on this.

    Here, here is that build with 8 gb ram and still under my price range:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $629.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-17 09:36 EDT-0400)

    EDIT: I went to the newegg link on the pcpartpicker page, and it says it is discontinued. Any other ideas for cards in that price range?
  5. Best answer
    That's bad news. Other 7870 XT costs at least 248$. Better grab a HD7870 ghz edition instead:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $619.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-17 09:42 EDT-0400)
  6. Madn3ss795 said:
    That's bad news. Other 7870 XT costs at least 248$. Better grab a HD7870 ghz edition instead:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $619.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-17 09:42 EDT-0400)


    Could the 7870 ghz edition beat the asus 660 thats on sale right now for $169? I know we got passed the nvidia thing but it seems like a good deal.
  7. Even a HD7850 can beat GTX660 when OC kicks in.
  8. Madn3ss795 said:
    Even a HD7850 can beat GTX660 when OC kicks in.

    Is the board chosen a good board for oc the gpu/cpu ( I am aware that I wont be able to oc much on the cpu without getting an aftermarket cpu cooler, which I plan to do in the future.
  9. bnsfup1 said:
    Madn3ss795 said:
    Even a HD7850 can beat GTX660 when OC kicks in.

    Is the board chosen a good board for oc the gpu/cpu ( I am aware that I wont be able to oc much on the cpu without getting an aftermarket cpu cooler, which I plan to do in the future.



    That board, despite decent price, has its power design on par with some more pricey boards like Asrock 970 Extreme3, only lack sata3 ports.. You can do some nice OC with it.
  10. Madn3ss795 said:
    bnsfup1 said:
    Madn3ss795 said:
    Even a HD7850 can beat GTX660 when OC kicks in.

    Is the board chosen a good board for oc the gpu/cpu ( I am aware that I wont be able to oc much on the cpu without getting an aftermarket cpu cooler, which I plan to do in the future.



    That board, despite decent price, has its power design on par with some more pricey boards like Asrock 970 Extreme3, only lack sata3 ports.. You can do some nice OC with it.


    Ok. Anything else I should know about what you included in the build?
  11. I don't think there're any. Better order the parts and assemble them. Remember to pick the solution on the way out :bounce:
  12. Ok, we have a problem. My simulator that I play has issues running amd/ati cards on both windows 7 and 8. It has to be a legacy board, and even then there may be a few issues here and there that need worked out. So, I decided to re-evaluate the build. Is it still good?:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $634.18
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 06:32 EDT-0400)
  13. Ok so lets stick to nVidia. There are some nice deals on Newegg right now that we can take advantage of:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg) Free 8GB Crucial memory w/ purchase, limited offer
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $618.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 07:55 EDT-0400)
  14. Madn3ss795 said:
    Ok so lets stick to nVidia. There are some nice deals on Newegg right now that we can take advantage of:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg) Free 8GB Crucial memory w/ purchase, limited offer
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $618.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 07:55 EDT-0400)


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($119.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $629.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-19 15:09 EDT-0400)
    Changed the build to include a case that has pass-through usb 3.0 connections, as the mobo doesn't have onboard usb 3.0 headers.
  15. Cougar Solution actually has pass-through usb3 cable.
  16. Madn3ss795 said:
    Cougar Solution actually has pass-through usb3 cable.


    Oh, I was not aware of that. I think I am going to stick with the Z5, as I am a sucker for flashy cases. Are they on par quality wise, or is one better than the other?
  17. Their quality are pretty much the same.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Systems Homebuilt