Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

GTX 560 Ti constantly underclocking itself?

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 17, 2013 8:49:42 AM

I've done a ton of searching on this topic and I can't seem to find anything that has helped.

I'm running an MSI GTX 560ti. Two weeks ago I found my GPU underclocking itself seemingly randomly, and the only way to fix it would be to reboot the computer. Initially I thought it was an overheating issue, but the GPU has underclocked itself even at 55 degrees. The underclocking doesn't occur right away, either. It can be 20 minutes into a game, it can be an hour and half in. Very random. I don't know what has changed that this is suddenly happening, but it is frustrating. It happens usually while playing Planetside 2, but it has happened once while playing TF2. Oddly enough, it did NOT happen while running a 30 minute Heaven test. I've tried both updating and downgrading drivers, using driversweeper, and running at stock speeds. No dice. I did a GPU-Z log as well, here. This was while playing PS2. The drop in clock speeds is while I was still playing. I'll be happy to provide any other information. Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : gtx 560 constantly underclocking

June 17, 2013 9:39:29 AM

Are you noticing any actual performance issues with this? Its probably the power saving features, as Heaven is very demanding it won't underclock, I'm not sure about PS2, but I know TF2 is pretty light.
Edit: Huh I just read the logs, that's a bit weird, have you tried settings PS2 to prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel?
m
0
l
June 17, 2013 10:18:52 AM

googoo1876 said:
Are you noticing any actual performance issues with this? Its probably the power saving features, as Heaven is very demanding it won't underclock, I'm not sure about PS2, but I know TF2 is pretty light.
Edit: Huh I just read the logs, that's a bit weird, have you tried settings PS2 to prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel?


Yes, they're set to prefer performance. I forgot to mention in the OP, but when it underclocks itself, it's ALWAYS to 405MHz (2D graphics speeds), which doesn't make sense if I'm using a 3D application.

EDIT: Yesterday it happened again, this time in Minecraft, of all things.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 18, 2013 4:51:35 PM

Hey dert, ss I mentioned in the other thread, get something like msi afterburner, hwmonitor, and set to log. Go back and review voltages when this happens. What power supply do you have? Age? System specs? Other heavy power drains like fans, leds, ccfl lighting?
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 5:10:35 PM

Buzz247 said:
Hey dert, ss I mentioned in the other thread, get something like msi afterburner, hwmonitor, and set to log. Go back and review voltages when this happens. What power supply do you have? Age? System specs? Other heavy power drains like fans, leds, ccfl lighting?


I posted a GPU-Z log in the OP. This computer is only a year old.


    i5-3570K - Stock
    MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB - Stock OC
    8GB DDR3-1866 RAM
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 Motherboard
    Rosewill HIVE 750W PSU


There's nothing fancy in the way of additional parts - 3 case fans, and a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. 2 of the fans have small built-in LEDs.

The only other thing is that I got the Rosewill as a replacement for my old Thermaltake (new reviews made me nervous about it frying my system) about a month ago. However people in similar threads have been saying that the PSU isn't the problem, and the underclocking didn't happen right away. But, what do I know. Ideas?
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 1:51:52 PM

Just an update since this thread has been quiet the last few days.

I swapped out my PSU for the old Thermaltake (with which I never experienced any graphics issues). The very next day, the GPU underclocked itself while playing Minecraft. Temps were around 50-55 degrees. Still have no idea why this is happening.
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 2:08:41 PM

Are you noticing lag? If you aren't the program just doesn't need the power.
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 3:00:04 PM

googoo1876 said:
Are you noticing lag? If you aren't the program just doesn't need the power.


Yes, I'm experiencing lag. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but this is during 3D games like Planetside 2, Minecraft, TF2, etc., which certainly need the power. Taking Planetside 2 as an example, when the underclock happens it drops from a 60+ frames to 30-40 in low activity areas.

Another thing that I've noticed since my last post is that, when the underclocking occurs, 405MHz becomes the "new" 3D application clock speed (vs. normal 880MHz), and ~51MHz becomes the "new" 2D clock speed (vs. 405MHz). Very strange.
m
0
l
June 23, 2013 6:21:23 PM

Does no one really have no insight as to what this could be? Software issue, maybe? I've been disabling several programs while playing to no avail. I'm really starting to get desperate here.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 11:22:10 AM

Everything ive searched on it results in warranty. Id get hold of support. Sucker seems fried by what I have read
m
0
l
July 4, 2013 11:59:40 PM

On Firefox (or maybe other browsers), try turning off "Use Hardware acceleration if available" that fixed alot of lags for me. Thanks
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 3:32:40 AM

Sanone said:
On Firefox (or maybe other browsers), try turning off "Use Hardware acceleration if available" that fixed alot of lags for me. Thanks


I am having the same issue of 560 ti auto underclocking. I have never overclocked the card, it normally lives under 40 degrees celcius.

I recently did a clomplete fresh install of everything after not using the computer for a couple of months. That means driver updates.
It idles at 50.6mhz, jumps to 850.5mhz when opening a game, falls down to 405mhz with when closing, then goes back down to 50.6mhz when it seems to work correctly. The card/driver is not properly recognizing when should resume higher speeds for programs that are not obviously gpu intensive though. Taking the advice here for firefox definitely helped, but only when using that specific application. It happened again though using a portable apps thumb drive. computer froze .
So just to acknowledge, I believe we have the same problem. But I am still looking for an actual fix.


edit: Following this thread https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550032/geforce...
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 8:20:32 AM

analogmonster said:
Sanone said:
On Firefox (or maybe other browsers), try turning off "Use Hardware acceleration if available" that fixed alot of lags for me. Thanks


I am having the same issue of 560 ti auto underclocking. I have never overclocked the card, it normally lives under 40 degrees celcius.

I recently did a clomplete fresh install of everything after not using the computer for a couple of months. That means driver updates.
It idles at 50.6mhz, jumps to 850.5mhz when opening a game, falls down to 405mhz with when closing, then goes back down to 50.6mhz when it seems to work correctly. The card/driver is not properly recognizing when should resume higher speeds for programs that are not obviously gpu intensive though. Taking the advice here for firefox definitely helped, but only when using that specific application. It happened again though using a portable apps thumb drive. computer froze .
So just to acknowledge, I believe we have the same problem. But I am still looking for an actual fix.


edit: Following this thread https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550032/geforce...


You think antivirus program causing this lag? (Lag when connecting thumb drive). I am using Kaspersky and it has a Gamer Mode and I am using that. Once I had the lags when starting up PC (as mentioned on your link), and I completely installed Win 7 again and turned off firefox graphics acceleration and no lags (now about 5th month).

I am from an Asian country, so I use pirated win7, I turn off automatic updates and system restore on all drives.

Also do you have enough ram, bus speed and processor speed? Have you completely turned off onboard VGA via bios?
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 8:50:34 AM

Sanone said:

You think antivirus program causing this lag? (Lag when connecting thumb drive). I am using Kaspersky and it has a Gamer Mode and I am using that. Once I had the lags when starting up PC (as mentioned on your link), and I completely installed Win 7 again and turned off firefox graphics acceleration and no lags (now about 5th month).

I am from an Asian country, so I use pirated win7, I turn off automatic updates and system restore on all drives.

Also do you have enough ram, bus speed and processor speed? Have you completely turned off onboard VGA via bios?


I am fairly certain it is not antivirus. I have kaspersky as well. I have 8 gigs ram, no onboard vga, 750w psu,i7, with updated bios. using stock evga gtx 560 ti never overclocked.
A few hours ago I attempted the newest beta driver without success. I then downgraded drivers to 314.22, the clock frequency no longer throttles back, remaining at a constant 850 mhz. I have attempted to crash the system doing everything that would have done so before. Everything is stable. No mouse/keyboard lag. no bsod. no image freeze. So that seems to be the solution , at least for me. So far. I will update on status in a week if no further crashes occur. Then I'll start looking at logs and dmp files. For now, back to solitaire.


Update: A week later and still no crashes or hangups. Downgrading driver is the fix for this thread. Can anyone else confirm?
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 9:35:00 AM

analogmonster said:

I am fairly certain it is not antivirus. I have kaspersky as well. I have 8 gigs ram, no onboard vga, 750w psu,i7, with updated bios. using stock evga gtx 560 ti never overclocked.
A few hours ago I attempted the newest beta driver without success. I then downgraded drivers to 314.22, the clock frequency no longer throttles back, remaining at a constant 850 mhz. I have attempted to crash the system doing everything that would have done so before. Everything is stable. No mouse/keyboard lag. no bsod. no image freeze. So that seems to be the solution , at least for me. So far. I will update on status in a week if no further crashes occur. Then I'll start looking at logs and dmp files. For now, back to solitaire.


FYI I am using driver 320.49. My card is from Asus, and I am using Asus smart doctor utility.
m
0
l
December 22, 2013 9:46:12 AM

Go into you EVGA Voltage Tuner and turn on K-Boost. It eliminates the process of underclocking and forces the graphics card to get the required amount of energy. Try boosting up the voltage one click and turn on overvoltage. That should all help you
m
0
l