Fx-8350 CPU + H100i Stable overclock?

Ryan Ziolkowski

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Hey all!
i have an 8350 and a H100i water cooler. i was wondering if anyone had a stable overclock and could tell me their voltage and what Ghz they are running at. Anything over 5Ghz would be great if its possible!

Solution
I have a good chip , all are different: :D

FX8350 \ 5.1GHZ. \ 1.384 VOLTS

2013-04-01_18-13-33_963_zps3c011337.jpg

Phanteks PH-TC14PE with Scythe Slipstream 110 CFM fans attached.

Ryan Ziolkowski

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
well i think im going to end up at 4.9!
also, what stress tests did you use and how long did you run them for?
and lastly, is it better to increase CPU ratio or cpu bus frequency?
thanks in advance!

Ryan Ziolkowski

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

mine is at one notch below 1.5v

this seems to be the sweet spot for most chips - 4.8@ with any voltage between 1 notch plus or one notch minus 1.5.

but remember all chips are different and could require more or less, but from what ive read most seem to be 1+ or - 1.5v.

i also have found that my h100i has trouble cooling once you get three notches above 1.5v during the intel burn test.

dont let your chip get above 63 and best of luck to you!

Pipson

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
I followed this guide:
http://rog.asus.com/216552013/crosshair-v-motherboards/guide-overclocking-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/2/
without anything open my cpu is around 39C, i was able to benchmark with cinebench but when i used prime95 the 1st option (max FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not test so much) my temperature went as high as 68 in less than a minute which i then stopped the test... so what does that say?

Ryan Ziolkowski

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

exactly the guide i used, and exactly the settings i ended up with!

well that pretty much says your running at a voltage/frequency that is too high for your cooler to handle or airflow of your case.

what cooler are you using? not an h100i right? if you are you may need to check airflow or mounting...

so if you not crazy enough about that frequency (like not wanting it enough to buy a new cooler) your gonna have to turn down your voltage to a temperature your cooler can handle which means your therefore must give up some frequency as well.

your tests all look good, its always nice to run that test your GPU and CPU at the same time because sometimes people will run prime95 and then have troubles with games.

but when you run prime95 you should try running the blend test because its good to test ram as well. if you start crashing, then you can move on to a ram specific test to see if its a problem with the ram or the CPU!

best of luck to you!

You lucky Blackbird you :)

I got the same cooler, lapped the CPU heat spreader and Heatsink base for copper-to-copper contact. Shaved off a few degrees but my chip refuses to be stable at lower voltages.

It's brand new though so I'm still trying different settings to see what she can do. ;)