Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Feedback for high end gaming build. Approx 1.5k budget.

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 17, 2013 7:16:19 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.63 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($152.47 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $1490.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 04:31 EDT-0400)


Few notes, I do overclocking and do intend to overclock to ~4.4 GHZ. This build will be used to play future games for eg. BF4/Elder scrolls online at 1080p with future possibility of upgrading to 1440p hence the reason for 850w PSU to SLI the 770s if I do. Could I get some feedback about the parts I've chosen?

More about : feedback high end gaming build approx budget

June 17, 2013 8:00:23 PM

its missing main harddrive because, i have one here that i can just plop in.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 17, 2013 8:06:14 PM

The specs are lower than i'd like though, I dont mind shelling out $400 extra for a more beefy pc. Thanks for feedback though!
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 1:32:44 AM

Did you link a wrong build? Cos that build looks reallyy low end at $600
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 5:42:24 AM

any suggestions?
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 7:19:48 AM

This is perfect, but you could step down to Antec HCG 620M, save up 20 bucks. If you can pick up 4670k in microcenter, it will be nice. Already include in here. Azza Solano 1000R is also nice case, you should consider it
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($125.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.63 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cougar Evolution ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1407.53
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 10:17 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 3:29:59 PM

Chris Kennedy said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/purpletalon/saved/1NeQ


this is my suggestion again, i did link the wrong build


You did, and that build could use a lot of work. Especially if the OP has a $1500 budget.

This is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($425.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1415.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 18:29 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 3:34:39 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.60 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1606.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 18:33 EDT-0400)

Well if you're willing to pay a few extra bucks mate. You can get this, and this will give you 40% more performance than a 1k titan GPU.

This will come to 1581$ if you can get to microcenter mate. Right around your budget. Honestly, i think this is the best performance for the budget.

Oh and the PSU should be enough. It leaves you around 100 watts for OC atm. Should be fine unless you do some really really really intense OC. Then in which case, it's a easy 20-30$ upgrade to a 850 watts
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 3:38:38 PM

opponentmule2 said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17Rou/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.60 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.58 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($395.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1606.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-18 18:33 EDT-0400)

Well if you're willing to pay a few extra bucks mate. You can get this, and this will give you 40% more performance than a 1k titan GPU.

This will come to 1581$ if you can get to microcenter mate. Right around your budget. Honestly, i think this is the best performance for the budget.

Oh and the PSU should be enough. It leaves you around 100 watts for OC atm. Should be fine unless you do some really really really intense OC. Then in which case, it's a easy 20-30$ upgrade to a 850 watts


That's not bad. I would get a Vector or 840 Pro over the standard Samsung 840. But I'm not sure that dual GTX 770 would be that drastic of a performance boost. You could always get one and add the second later on when the prices drop as a logical upgrade.
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 3:45:01 PM

Hmm thanks g-unit. Yea, i took my time and found some REALLY good deal and sales so it's almost 100$ off!! Such as the 300R case and etc.

Hmm reason i didn't get any 840 Pro or the Vector SSD was because of his budget. As you can see, my build was already 100$ over his budget, and you won't really notice too much of a difference between two SSD that's high quality.

Also, what you said about the GPU is logical. However, i don't think the GTX 700s will drop anytime soon as it just released. Also, if he wants the BEST performance for his money right now, i think my build's pretty close to it.

Lastly, i agree. If he doesn't use 2-3 monitors, one 770 is MORE than enough. Espeically the super powered Gigabyte one that runs at over 1,100mz core speed! But if he wants to do surround gaming, he'll need the second 770
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 4:57:19 PM

Quote:
Also, what you said about the GPU is logical. However, i don't think the GTX 700s will drop anytime soon as it just released. Also, if he wants the BEST performance for his money right now, i think my build's pretty close to it.


That won't be at least for a year, but by then you'll be ready to add the second one anyways. If you look at the build I posted I put the Vector in there instead of the standard 840.

Quote:


Lastly, i agree. If he doesn't use 2-3 monitors, one 770 is MORE than enough. Espeically the super powered Gigabyte one that runs at over 1,100mz core speed! But if he wants to do surround gaming, he'll need the second 770


Yeah the Gigabyte Windforce 450 is a sweet card, but even a single one right now is crazy expensive.
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 5:07:37 PM

Yea i heard of the OCZ SSD. Everyone say it's very very fast. However, i did read some reliability issues. Also it's a bit more than the 840 Pro, and almost 50% more than the 840. For value + reliability i think the 840 should be enough, especially for only 90$. Also in any case, you won't notice too much of a difference between high quality SSD , maybe a percentage of increase. But, they're SO much faster than a HDD anyways, you'll be pretty happy with either one. A 10 seconds boot time vs a 11-12 seconds is not really worth the 50% price increase IMO, especially if i know the 840 will be reliable day in and day out.

Read some owners of the vector said they gave out after 6 months - 1 year.

Hmm yea i get what you're saying on the expensive GPU atm. If it was me building it, i would just hold off on the second GPU.

That's around the exact build i'm doing. except with only 1 770 cause i don't play with 2-3 monitors
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 6:10:33 PM

Very nice suggestions guys, both of you suggested the asrock z87 extreme 4, would that be better than msi gd65 for gaming? Haven't done much research on that board at all, was deciding between asus z87-pro and the msi gd65, but recently i've seen alot of people recommending the asrock z87 extreme 4. How is that board for OCing and gaming?
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 6:13:59 PM

well if you want a huge boast in performance, or just "power" of your rig. I would just suggest to go with my build mate. Because of the SLI 770, you can run 3 monitors on max.

Extreme 3 is fine, after this point. You won't really be losing a noticeable performance, just a little bit of overall quality and it's made out of. Maybe a PCi slot here and there, but i choose the extreme 3 because it was on sale, and because i wanted to stay within your budget without losing too much performance
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 6:17:29 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking of adding a second 770 when I do upgrade the monitor, because currently i'm only on a 1080p and 770's SLI is pretty overkill for that, but I do intend to upgrade to a 1440p in a few months, so I think ill get my second 770 then. Also, would you happen to know about PSU's? Assuming I chose a 750W Gold PSU which is $40 more than a bronze one, with electric tariffs being $0.25/kWh, how much usage/time would I need to get that money back? Would it be worth it?
m
0
l
June 18, 2013 6:22:09 PM

hmm i'm not really an expert when it comes to electric bills XD

But i think a single 770 should be able to max out even a 1440p monitor mate.

SLI 770 is only for surround gaming or when games in the future get a LOT more demanding. Pretty much the average for a gaming CPU atm is a 660. So it'll be a while before a 770 becomes the "average" and u'll need the second 770. I think most games build their graphic settings with an average GPU a user would have of sorts.

If you use just one monitor. i would just save the money and get one 770. Rather you want to upgrade the MOBO, or PSU just depends on your budget really. You won't really get more performance, but you do get a tiny bit of overall product quality

m
0
l
June 18, 2013 7:06:09 PM

Hmm, that's new for me, always thought u needed at least SLI for 1440p, thanks alot! Now things seem abit clearer to me now, if you were me, what would your build be then with 1.5k?
m
0
l

Best solution

June 18, 2013 7:14:52 PM

Well the new GTX 770 is a very powerful card. It'll run most if not all current games on 1440p on max easily.

If i were you mate, i would just save and use around 1230$ without the second SLI for a very powerful gaming. Probably the best price/Performance ratio you're going to get ATM.

That being said dude, you can make some upgrades.

Going from a 840 to a 840 pro is a option.

Going to a Asus higher end MOBO or a extreme 4 MOBO is another option.

A Corsair 750watt TX v2 another upgrade you can make for the PSU.

You may also upgrade your monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

But again bro, after this point. Aside from the small performance upgrade in the SSD, your upgrades will be more in terms of a tiny bit of quality over any noticeable performance.

Personally for me, i'll just save, so in 1-2 years when the 770 is struggling to max every game, i'll just SLI the second one.
Share
June 18, 2013 7:27:17 PM

Thanks for your help, I think I know what to do now.
m
0
l
!