Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building High End Gaming PC. Is this ok? (First Build)

Tags:
  • BenQ
  • Gaming
  • Keyboards
  • Build
  • Mice
  • Razer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 18, 2013 1:33:10 AM

Hi there,

I live in Australia and was looking at spending up to $2000 on just the PC alone. I already have a BenQ GL2450HM as a monitor. I would also like to spend about $200-$300 more on a good keyboard and mouse. I have picked out a Razer Deathadder 2013 and a Razer BlackWiddow 2013 Ultimate mechanical keyboard.

would just like to get peoples opinions on the PC build and the keyboard and mouse. thanks. Would also like to buy all parts from PLE.com.au as they are a few mins away from me.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ PLE)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.00 @ PLE)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87-EXTREME6 ($237.00 @ PLE)

Memory: Corsair 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 Vengeance C9 1600MHz ($169 @ PLE)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($152.00 @ PLE)
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 3TB 64MB 7200RPM ($139 @ PLE)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD7970 GHZ Edition Dual Fan 1050M/5500M 3GB/DVI/HDMI/m-DP ($479 @ PLE)

Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($205.00 @ PLE)

Power Supply: Corsair AX760 ($235 @ PLE)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS-324 ($24 @ PLE)

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 4G Optical Gaming Mouse ($59.00 @ PLE)

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow 2013 Ultimate (MX Blue) Mechanical Keyboard ($169.00 @ PLE)

Total: $2,292.00


Any feedback would be great!

Thanks

More about : building high end gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2013 1:43:36 AM

Would get a gtx 770

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2013 2:28:27 AM

The case is overkill for a single card :p 

reallocate some $100 from it :p 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2013 3:20:08 AM

I would recommend a different brand, if you go for a 7970. Alternatively, the 770 is also an excellent card, and offers slightly better performance. Good brands are Sapphire (7970), Gigabyte (770 and 7970), and ASUS (770 and 7970).

Other than that, I'd take the cooler down to a Noctua DH14 (or swap it for the superior NZXT Kraken x60, if your case will support it, which I believe the 650D will), knock the RAM down to 8GB, take the PSU down to an XFX Core Edition 650w or SeaSonic S12II 620w, and either put the resulting money in the bank, or up the GPU to a 780.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2013 11:23:54 PM



Perhaps I should have said "under some circumstances" in front of "slightly better". That said, it has the major merit of a non-broken dual-GPU system (though the CrossFire issues are often overstated, the fact of the matter is that SLI just doesn't have as many problems), though I completely understand preferring the 7970. I stand by my comment on XFX, however.
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 12:57:17 AM

Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 19, 2013 1:01:28 AM

xConorHDx said:
Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?


As a Vapor-X GHz Edition owner, I absolutely adore my cards, and would consider the Vapor-X a splendid option. Other good options would include the Gigabyte Windforce x3-cooled 7970 GHz Edition, and the ASUS Matrix Platinum (though that tends to be priced drastically beyond what it merits).
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 1:08:21 AM

Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?


As a Vapor-X GHz Edition owner, I absolutely adore my cards, and would consider the Vapor-X a splendid option. Other good options would include the Gigabyte Windforce x3-cooled 7970 GHz Edition, and the ASUS Matrix Platinum (though that tends to be priced drastically beyond what it merits).


So I'm thinking either the gigabyte or the sapphire mainly. If you own the vapor-x. Can I ask, does it have any coil whine? And also can you link me to any benchmarks of the two cards?

Thanks
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 19, 2013 1:29:55 AM

xConorHDx said:
Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?


As a Vapor-X GHz Edition owner, I absolutely adore my cards, and would consider the Vapor-X a splendid option. Other good options would include the Gigabyte Windforce x3-cooled 7970 GHz Edition, and the ASUS Matrix Platinum (though that tends to be priced drastically beyond what it merits).


So I'm thinking either the gigabyte or the sapphire mainly. If you own the vapor-x. Can I ask, does it have any coil whine? And also can you link me to any benchmarks of the two cards?

Thanks


I've had no issues, though the cooler can get decently loud at high speeds, and has a somewhat annoying (high-pitched) noise in such instances. That said, the cooling is phenomenal.
I'm I don't know of any instances where the two were compared, oddly enough.

Edit: I may be incorrect, but I recall hearing that Gigabyte had begun voltage locking their 7970s at some point. If they're still doing that (I don't keep up with Gigabyte news as well as I should), I would consider the Vapor-X to be the superior option (though I may well be biased, as a satisfied owner).

Edit 2: Having looked your build over again, have you considered dropping your PSU to an XFX Core Edition 750w, your CPU Cooler to a Noctua DH14, and your RAM to 8GB, and using what you get from that on a 780?
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 5:58:13 AM

Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?


As a Vapor-X GHz Edition owner, I absolutely adore my cards, and would consider the Vapor-X a splendid option. Other good options would include the Gigabyte Windforce x3-cooled 7970 GHz Edition, and the ASUS Matrix Platinum (though that tends to be priced drastically beyond what it merits).


So I'm thinking either the gigabyte or the sapphire mainly. If you own the vapor-x. Can I ask, does it have any coil whine? And also can you link me to any benchmarks of the two cards?

Thanks


I've had no issues, though the cooler can get decently loud at high speeds, and has a somewhat annoying (high-pitched) noise in such instances. That said, the cooling is phenomenal.
I'm I don't know of any instances where the two were compared, oddly enough.

Edit: I may be incorrect, but I recall hearing that Gigabyte had begun voltage locking their 7970s at some point. If they're still doing that (I don't keep up with Gigabyte news as well as I should), I would consider the Vapor-X to be the superior option (though I may well be biased, as a satisfied owner).

Edit 2: Having looked your build over again, have you considered dropping your PSU to an XFX Core Edition 750w, your CPU Cooler to a Noctua DH14, and your RAM to 8GB, and using what you get from that on a 780?


I probably won't drop the psu as corsair are amazing and its platinum rated and its modular, which is a big thing (I'm a neat freak and have to have things tidy haha no cables all over the place). PLE don't seem to stock the Noctua DH14 (is it fan cooling or water cooling?). I will maybe drop my RAM down to 8GB (sometimes I like to play around with editing program's though and 16GB would be better for things like rendering). And lastly the cheapest 780 in Australia is like $750 or something which is crazy! I hate australia for being so expensive. Wish I was in the US. I've tried to save money by taking my case down $100 to the cooler master storm enforcer and cut the 3TB hdd to 2TB. But I'm trying to find gaps and its not happening. Thanks for being so helpful with me :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 19, 2013 6:19:10 AM

xConorHDx said:
Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Jack Revenant said:
xConorHDx said:
Yeah I seen the XFX 7970 GHz edition has had a few issues. I'm going to ask PLE if they can order in the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X. I seen that this one is quite good. What is the best brand for the 7970 GHz Edition?


As a Vapor-X GHz Edition owner, I absolutely adore my cards, and would consider the Vapor-X a splendid option. Other good options would include the Gigabyte Windforce x3-cooled 7970 GHz Edition, and the ASUS Matrix Platinum (though that tends to be priced drastically beyond what it merits).


So I'm thinking either the gigabyte or the sapphire mainly. If you own the vapor-x. Can I ask, does it have any coil whine? And also can you link me to any benchmarks of the two cards?

Thanks


I've had no issues, though the cooler can get decently loud at high speeds, and has a somewhat annoying (high-pitched) noise in such instances. That said, the cooling is phenomenal.
I'm I don't know of any instances where the two were compared, oddly enough.

Edit: I may be incorrect, but I recall hearing that Gigabyte had begun voltage locking their 7970s at some point. If they're still doing that (I don't keep up with Gigabyte news as well as I should), I would consider the Vapor-X to be the superior option (though I may well be biased, as a satisfied owner).

Edit 2: Having looked your build over again, have you considered dropping your PSU to an XFX Core Edition 750w, your CPU Cooler to a Noctua DH14, and your RAM to 8GB, and using what you get from that on a 780?


I probably won't drop the psu as corsair are amazing and its platinum rated and its modular, which is a big thing (I'm a neat freak and have to have things tidy haha no cables all over the place). PLE don't seem to stock the Noctua DH14 (is it fan cooling or water cooling?). I will maybe drop my RAM down to 8GB (sometimes I like to play around with editing program's though and 16GB would be better for things like rendering). And lastly the cheapest 780 in Australia is like $750 or something which is crazy! I hate australia for being so expensive. Wish I was in the US. I've tried to save money by taking my case down $100 to the cooler master storm enforcer and cut the 3TB hdd to 2TB. But I'm trying to find gaps and its not happening. Thanks for being so helpful with me :) 


Platinum rating isn't really worth all that much, honestly. And XFX is actually usually of higher quality than Corsair (both have SeaSonic-made products, but only some of Corsair stuff is SeaSonic while all of XFX's PSUs are). As I recall, their "Pro Edition" is still cheaper than the AX760, and is modular, though I don't really care about modular/non-modular status, so I may be misremembering.
The Noctua is an air cooler. One of the best, in fact. It's better than the H100i, according to the benchmarks I've seen, and is usually less costly.
Oh, there's plenty of room to squeeze this build, believe me. Example: Case down to a Phantom 410 ($100 or so), halve the RAM ($80 or so), Motherboard down to an Extreme4 (unsure, but it should be around $40, if I'm estimating correctly), PSU down to an XFX Pro Series 750w Silver (should save around $40, though I can't find it on Australian sites), H100i to Noctua DH14 (http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14) ($65), and you're to the 780, unless I'm miscounting.
I think you sell Australia too short. You have a strong economy, good labor laws, and an endless supply of poisonous things. What more could a man ask for?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 19, 2013 1:43:26 PM

Jack Revenant said:
, and an endless supply of poisonous things. What more could a man ask for?


Amen!
m
0
l
!