Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Advice for AMD FX-8350 & Corsair H60

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 18, 2013 6:25:56 AM

First things first, please do not go "AMD SUCK" ect ect, I have had AMD CPUs for over 10 years including an Athlon XP 2200+. AMD Athlon X2 7750, AMD Phenom 1090T and now I have an FX-8350.

Today I got an H60 Water cooler and fitted it in, to replace an Alaska Fan cooler (It was pretty big but not that big of a heatsink). Before under full load of rendering a 1080p video it was at around 60 Degrees (C), Now with the H60 on I'm reaching 65 Degrees after a few mins of full load.

The fan that is pulling on the radiator is running at ~ 2100RPM, The Pump records at ~4000RPM, the fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN socket and the pump into CPU_OPT port.

The CPU is running at between 4-4.1Ghz (Multiplier is set to 20 but goes up to 2.5 , The TPU on my motherboard is turned off. (Its an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0)

Here's a picture of the fan and radiator in my computer.


So, is it something to do with the fan, Do I need another? Does the paste need curing? (I used the stuff that came with it.)

Thanks - Ryan

a c 113 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 18, 2013 6:32:47 AM

The H60 isnt that powerful a cooling solution, equivalent to a $25 air heatsink.
I'm not all that surprised its not performing too well.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
June 18, 2013 6:34:18 AM

^^^+1^^^

The H60 really is an overpriced piece of work...
Related resources
June 18, 2013 6:39:18 AM

So wait, water cooling which should be cooler is worse than a £25 Fan?

a c 188 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
June 18, 2013 6:43:16 AM

ryanteck said:
So wait, water cooling which should be cooler is worse than a £25 Fan?



That is not watercooling, that is LIQUID cooling. Anything under the H80 has no reason for existing other than the IDEA of "water" cooling.
a c 113 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 18, 2013 6:44:43 AM

Ahh, the assumption that water-cooling is inherently better than air cooling. Closed Loop Cooler manufacturers like Corsair thrive off that.
Among your Closed Loop Liquid coolers (like the Hydro series), they perform the same as equivalent air coolers typically for $20-30 more. For instance the H100i performs the same as a Noctua NH-D14.

Only once you get to your custom water loops is where you begin to see performance you just cant achieve on air.
June 18, 2013 6:54:49 AM

ryanteck said:
So wait, water cooling which should be cooler is worse than a £25 Fan?



I have H60 connected to an I7 920 overclocked PC somewhere upstairs. That is pulling off cooler temps than these. But to be honest the H60 is really old. And back when it first came out it was on parr with aircoolers and some air coolers were better. So it was never really super performance orientated. So it is entirely possible that it is worse than an aircooler. However did you replace the cooling paste properly did you mount it the right way.

The first time i installed the H60 my temps sucked hugely. Than i remounted it and refitted it and they got down substantially. It's kind of a bitch to install that thing. More so on first generation i7 cores since u had to remove the backplate < <. Point is i'd try refitting it but honestly just get a nice air cooler or H80 and upwards.

EDIT:
Consequentially the H60 is not exactly "water cooler" not really in the real sense of the word. Watercooling is full loop. The benefit of the H is the fact it is rather quiet if you set it up with good fans. My H60 didn;'t make any noise.

a c 113 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 18, 2013 7:03:02 AM

Novuake said:
That is not watercooling, that is LIQUID cooling.


Ethelyne Glycol (also known as Anti-Freeze) to be exact.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
June 18, 2013 7:05:47 AM

manofchalk said:
Novuake said:
That is not watercooling, that is LIQUID cooling.


Ethelyne Glycol (also known as Anti-Freeze) to be exact.


Yeah, but its not universal from what I have heard.
June 18, 2013 7:33:53 AM

I have used a h70 on my o/c 930 (see sig) for a few years now and I have always found it to be pretty good but it was a tight decision between it and the Noctua(The size of the heatsink put me off more than anything). Keeps idle temps in mid to late 30's and hovers around 70 under stress testing. The h70 does use 2 fans (swapped for scythe typhoons) and a bigger radiator but the point I am making is that if a second fan is added and then depending upon case fan setup use as intake / exhaust then surely there would be an improvement? Although I fully understand that if the cooler is not going to cut it then buying more fans is essentially throwing more money away.

This is purely based upon my experience with the h70 and a certain amount of surprise at how negative the comments were but again I can only speak for my experience.
June 18, 2013 7:38:04 AM

MEMOFLEX said:
I have used a h70 on my o/c 930 (see sig) for a few years now and I have always found it to be pretty good but it was a tight decision between it and the Noctua(The size of the heatsink put me off more than anything). Keeps idle temps in mid to late 30's and hovers around 70 under stress testing. The h70 does use 2 fans (swapped for scythe typhoons) and a bigger radiator but the point I am making is that if a second fan is added and then depending upon case fan setup use as intake / exhaust then surely there would be an improvement? Although I fully understand that if the cooler is not going to cut it then buying more fans is essentially throwing more money away.

This is purely based upon my experience with the h70 and a certain amount of surprise at how negative the comments were but again I can only speak for my experience.


Yours has been one of the first few which may help.

From what I can understand this cooler should be able to cool my CPU fully with even the chance of overclocking. I do only have one fan on it but surely spending £55 for a cooler it should be fit for its purpose to cool down a computer CPU.

I think my next step is to contact corsair.

Thanks - Ryan
a c 113 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 18, 2013 7:45:20 AM

Here are the benches showing that the H60 is equivalent to a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, a $25 heastsink.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo...

Water-cooling across the whole range of it (both CLC's and custom) offer poor value for your dollar, with the value sweet spot being your dual rad CLC's and low end custom kits like XSPC 750 Raystorm's. Go up or down from there and you get a worse value for your dollar (though if you go up you get unparalleled performance and flexibility).
June 18, 2013 7:47:45 AM

manofchalk said:
Here are the benches showing that the H60 is equivalent to a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, a $25 heastsink.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo...

Water-cooling across the whole range of it (both CLC's and custom) offer poor value for your dollar, with the value sweet spot being your dual rad CLC's and low end custom kits like XSPC 750 Raystorm's. Go up or down from there and you get a worse value for your dollar (though if you go up you get unparalleled performance and flexibility).



Do you not understand something that is called fit for purpose? (It seems your american, its an actual Law in the UK).

It basically means if the product does not do what it should do then it is not fit for purpose and that I can return it ect.

So a £50-60 cooler should be able to cool an £150 CPU....
June 18, 2013 7:58:05 AM

I will admit that I have always had intel processors so my AMD knowledge is solely based upon reading but I found a review of the 8350 where they tested it with a liquid cooling solution that may be relevant. Again the cooler they use is one with a bigger radiator and 2 fans so direct comparison can't be made but it can't hurt in your situation.

Review : http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_proces...

Also I noticed in your OP that you used the TIM that came on the cooler. I used it originally but found that I got much better temps when switching to MX-4 with as much as 4-5 degree variance across four cores. I also use mine as an intake from the back of my case due to my 2 graphics cards releasing their heat into the case.

I know this sounds like a ball ache and tbh if I had known before I bought the h70 that I would end up changing the TIM, the fans and have to try and decipher an awful manual then I may have gone else where. However, once those changes were made it has done a very good job so you really have a couple of options. RMA it if possible either through your retailer or corsair, or alternatively see what you can do to add an additional fan and change the TIM to a superior type than included. I can't see properly from your picture but you would have to check that there is enough clearance for a second fan over the blue heatsink located top left from your cpu for a fan to fit without contact or else you would possibly have to mount one fan on the exterior of your case which would mean needing a fan guard as well(or living on the edge :)  ). I would note though that although I dont know whether it would make any difference but I would try and spin the cpu heatsink over so that it is under less tension but this is more of an aesthetic point.

Post back if you do speak to corsair as it would be interesting to hear what they say.

EDIT : Took so long writing a memoir that we have moved on lol
a c 113 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 18, 2013 7:59:42 AM

Australian actually.
It does what its supposed too, it cools your CPU adequately to prevent damage. Even if it is going over the TjMax of the chip, you do have it overclocked which you know increases the heat output.

Just because a product is expensive doesn't mean it will perform well. There's a reason why these reviews exist, to inform your decision before you buy.
For instance, its tested on a Core i7-920, a chip with a 130W TDP (which means its pumping out about 130W of heat). Very similar to your FX-8350 with a 125W TDP. Both chips are overclocked, so you could estimate a rough TDP of 150W on both chips.
So the H60 gets load temps of 70°C under those conditions (with 23°C ambient temp). Your getting 65°C, you should be glad its performing better than it should (assuming a similar ambient temp).

Its not like its failing to live up to what is advertised about it.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
June 18, 2013 8:00:42 AM

I will just say this.

AMD FX series = A HELL OF A LOT OF HEAT!
June 18, 2013 11:53:33 AM

manofchalk said:
Australian actually.
It does what its supposed too, it cools your CPU adequately to prevent damage. Even if it is going over the TjMax of the chip, you do have it overclocked which you know increases the heat output.

Just because a product is expensive doesn't mean it will perform well. There's a reason why these reviews exist, to inform your decision before you buy.
For instance, its tested on a Core i7-920, a chip with a 130W TDP (which means its pumping out about 130W of heat). Very similar to your FX-8350 with a 125W TDP. Both chips are overclocked, so you could estimate a rough TDP of 150W on both chips.
So the H60 gets load temps of 70°C under those conditions (with 23°C ambient temp). Your getting 65°C, you should be glad its performing better than it should (assuming a similar ambient temp).

Its not like its failing to live up to what is advertised about it.


Lets see,
I'm now not overclocking it, either way .1 Mhz / 0.5 Multiplier is near nothing in overclocking terms with this CPU... The only up to 65 degrees is me, turning off the rendering, before it gets above.

After making sure the motherboard is now not overclocking it I am getting the same results as not like you said, it is not doing what it should.

RMA Opened with corsair.

This chip has been quite a pain so far, and there was me thinking the OEM cooler should do it.....
June 18, 2013 12:10:11 PM

Novuake said:
I will just say this.

AMD FX series = A HELL OF A LOT OF HEAT!


Yes I know that, but going from a 1090T which has the same power usage and the fact this has a smaller dye size surely the heat should not be that much more yet the cooler is more powerful?

And also by saying that the cooler is not good enough I assume you know that the AMD OEM Heatsinks are actually meant to be able to cool the CPU enough?
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
June 19, 2013 8:45:47 AM

ryanteck said:
Novuake said:
I will just say this.

AMD FX series = A HELL OF A LOT OF HEAT!


Yes I know that, but going from a 1090T which has the same power usage and the fact this has a smaller dye size surely the heat should not be that much more yet the cooler is more powerful?

And also by saying that the cooler is not good enough I assume you know that the AMD OEM Heatsinks are actually meant to be able to cool the CPU enough?


Look its likely a faulty pump, but still, don't RMA it for another H60. They ARE SHITE.
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 19, 2013 10:06:23 AM

ryanteck said:
manofchalk said:
Here are the benches showing that the H60 is equivalent to a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, a $25 heastsink.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo...

Water-cooling across the whole range of it (both CLC's and custom) offer poor value for your dollar, with the value sweet spot being your dual rad CLC's and low end custom kits like XSPC 750 Raystorm's. Go up or down from there and you get a worse value for your dollar (though if you go up you get unparalleled performance and flexibility).



Do you not understand something that is called fit for purpose? (It seems your american, its an actual Law in the UK).

It basically means if the product does not do what it should do then it is not fit for purpose and that I can return it ect.

So a £50-60 cooler should be able to cool an £150 CPU....


You need to go to a dual fan push/pull setup to get the H60 to work properly. The Hydro series from Corsair is good in the sense that they're typically quiet.

However, the custom loops are better in performance, and the Hyper 212 EVO from CM would do as well as the H60 under any circumstance (with a minimal amount of more noise).
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 20, 2013 5:41:21 AM

The Noctua products are a very good option...some are a bit bulky by air cooling standards...though you're going from a radiator, so it won't be a big deal for you. Something like what you chose should be more effective than the H60 you're returning.

Good Luck...don't forget to pick a solution! :) 
!