Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can i upgrade my Dell Optiplex GX620 graphics card ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 18, 2013 7:50:41 AM

Hello guys,i own a Dell OptiPlex GX620 Tower model and i would like to upgrade my graphics card.I know it is a very old computer,but right now I don't have any budget for a new PC,and all I can afford is upgrading my graphics card.What gaming cards would i be able to install? I'm not really a hardcore gamer but i would like to play CoD:Black Ops,GTA IV etc.

Any suggestions?

P.S Sorry for my english,,it is not my native language.
June 18, 2013 7:58:49 AM

Even if you do get a better graphics card your processor would be to weak for any gaming and you would have major bottlenecking, you also would need more RAM.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2013 8:13:20 AM

The main thing we need to know if you have a slim tower or a full tower.

Either way you're looking at a $100 HD 7750 DDR5 as your best card. Probably won't be any recent games, since you're stuck with a Pentium 4 or Pentium D CPU. But anything before 2008 should play okay, and that graphics card will be plenty.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 18, 2013 1:03:43 PM

I have the Full tower model. And I know i won't be playing any latest games with my CPU,but with the integrated intel card i cant even play CoD 2 :(  So,can i install the HD 7750 in the full tower?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2013 5:18:53 PM

Redoni said:
I have the Full tower model. And I know i won't be playing any latest games with my CPU,but with the integrated intel card i cant even play CoD 2 :(  So,can i install the HD 7750 in the full tower?


Definitely, here's a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And you can save up some cash to build your own rig from scratch while you enjoy some older games (which are almost always less than $10 on Steam).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 7:17:51 AM

This is true that you cannot use anything serious, I mean video card, but it is related to what you can physically fit inside. You have Mini Tower, this is how it is called. Only a few 7750 can be actually installed, above mentioned Sapphire cannot! Next post will explain.
What processor you have now? Is it Pentium D or just Pentium? If you don't know, please install CPUID and run it, first tab will tell you the processor.
Also, how much memory you have now and which Win you have, XP, Vista or 7, is it 32 bit or 64 bit?
And finally what is your budget now?
Next post will deal with video card only.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 7:30:05 AM

THIS POST APPLICABLE TO MT (MINI TOWER) FORM FACTOR ONLY.

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.
If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

Pictures below will prove my point.

View shows no room for dual bracket



Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half



Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket



Visual explanation



7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"



This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.



So, I found 2 GDDR5 7750 cards and one DDR3 4GB (GDDR5 is better than GDDR3, even if GDD3 offers 2 GB RAM or more), which confirmed in reviews to fit Optiplex gx620, 745 and 755 cases (the difference between those models are different processors).

Skinny, flimsier in terms of construction, completely single slot XFX 7750 http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775...

A bit beefier cooler, not as skinny, more durable in construction PowerColor AX7750 http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-AX7750-1GBD5-DH-Video-...

There are a few 7770 cards which will fit here as well, but they would require power supply upgrade as well, and this is the pain in Optiplex GX620 due to different positions for mounting screws.

Please respond to my first post about memory, Win and processor, this is CPUID link http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 7:48:36 AM

Nice catch! Forgot those have bass-ackwards motherboards. That XFX Ghost card looks hott.
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 11:45:47 AM

Kisianik said:
This is true that you cannot use anything serious, I mean video card, but it is related to what you can physically fit inside. You have Mini Tower, this is how it is called. Only a few 7750 can be actually installed, above mentioned Sapphire cannot! Next post will explain.
What processor you have now? Is it Pentium D or just Pentium? If you don't know, please install CPUID and run it, first tab will tell you the processor.
Also, how much memory you have now and which Win you have, XP, Vista or 7, is it 32 bit or 64 bit?
And finally what is your budget now?
Next post will deal with video card only.

I have the Intel Pentium D CPU @ 3.00 GHz , 2 GB of RAM and a 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS.
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 11:50:30 AM

Also,can someone please make a list of the cards that will physically fit here because i live in Kosovo and i cant actually buy stuff online from Newegg so i would have to go to a local computer store and buy the graphic card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 12:06:52 PM

Redoni said:
Also,can someone please make a list of the cards that will physically fit here because i live in Kosovo and i cant actually buy stuff online from Newegg so i would have to go to a local computer store and buy the graphic card.


Kosovo? That sounds challenging for finding PC parts, how do you do that? Do you have a list of manufacturers available there, we can provide you with models, but it will be hm, not so easy to cover whole world.
Considering Kosovo, CPU upgrade is most likely out of question due to parts, as well as power supply.
m
0
l
June 19, 2013 12:08:50 PM

Kisianik said:
Redoni said:
Also,can someone please make a list of the cards that will physically fit here because i live in Kosovo and i cant actually buy stuff online from Newegg so i would have to go to a local computer store and buy the graphic card.


Kosovo? That sounds challenging for finding PC parts, how do you do that? Do you have a list of manufacturers available there, we can provide you with models, but it will be hm, not so easy to cover whole world.
Considering Kosovo, CPU upgrade is most likely out of question due to parts, as well as power supply.


Well yes it is hard,but if you could provide me a list of supported GPU models , maybe i will find one available to buy.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 2:42:28 PM

Well you have already 2 options above, I will try to see other manufacturers, however it would be very helpful if you could check around to see which manufacturers are available. There are a lot of brands available in Europe and I know only one of them, however I seen many more brands, so if you can just provided brand names this would be great.

Come back tomorrow.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 4:06:26 PM

I also have this same computer in the slim model. It has an Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor with Intel 945G with 1 GB RAM. I was wondering if this graphics card would work.

amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-Express-Graphics-R7750-PMD2GD3/dp/B009SPJ8FG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1382135753&sr=8-10&keywords=7750+graphics+card

Also, I can provide more system details if needed. I am using Ubuntu 13.10 64-Bit currently with Unity.
m
0
l
December 14, 2013 8:24:08 AM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620, a Pentium D 2.8, and 2gb ddr2 ram. I installed a Radeon HD5450 2gb overclocked the processing speed to 700mhz and memory to 635mhz, and installed a fan in front of the graphics card. The system will play Call of Duty 4, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Garry's Mod, Civilization V on high settings, Minecraft on high settings. Age of Empires 3: Asian Dynasty, Left for Dead, etc ...
All these games play great with no lag and graphics card has not overheated at all.
m
0
l
!